Building school list?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bme94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm trying to build a school list, but I'd like to know realistically where I would have the best chance.

cGPA: 3.71 sGPA: 3.61 (no grade replacement)
MCAT: 502
NY resident.

500 hours of clinical research
300 hours of non-clinical research, name on abstract.
> 200 hours of scribing
100 hours of volunteering in my community
20 hours of shadowing
5 letters total, 1 being the committee letter.

I have all 3 LECOM campuses, NYIT...if anyone else wants to weigh in, that'd be great! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

LUCOM used to be your only exception Goro. What brough WCU into the mix. I understand they are a weaker school, but enough for you to recommend against them?

Members don't see this ad :)
All new schools except Wm Carey and LUCOM.

Such as:
All three VCOMs
UIW
RVU-UT
NYITCOM-AR
LMU
KYCOM
CUSOM
Also add UNECOM, PCOM, MUCOM, KCOM, SOMA, TUNCOM

Thank you very much for your input, Goro! Although, I thought TUNCOM wanted a pretty high MCAT score.

LUCOM used to be your only exception Goro. What brough WCU into the mix. I understand they are a weaker school, but enough for you to recommend against them?

I would be interested to find this out as well.

I've been hearing a lot about them having poor COMLEX pass rates...among the worst in the country. Poor rotations too.

On an unrelated note Goro, if you have any input on this I would greatly appreciate it - I was on VCOM's website, and it says they require a physician letter (MD or DO). I have a very strong letter from a physician who I worked with doing research for almost 2 years in a pediatric hospital...the only issue is that the physician is an MBBS. Is this not going to count? I've been scribing with DO's, and I can get a letter eventually, but I wanted to wait until I was able to build a stronger relationship with one before asking for a letter.

On an unrelated note Goro, if you have any input on this I would greatly appreciate it - I was on VCOM's website, and it says they require a physician letter (MD or DO). I have a very strong letter from a physician who I worked with doing research for almost 2 years in a pediatric hospital...the only issue is that the physician is an MBBS. Is this not going to count? I've been scribing with DO's, and I can get a letter eventually, but I wanted to wait until I was able to build a stronger relationship with one before asking for a letter.

Email the director of admissions at the VCOM campus you'd like to attend. The secondary asks you to rank the three campuses. Obviously, the DO letter is preferred but your best source of info is VCOM itself.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Not sure about your info. sources. I just took a look at their web site and saw a COMLEX Level 3 first time pass rate of 97% which exceeds the national average for DO schools. Rotations wise, I heard they use a hub site model which is comparable to KYCOM's. I'm not in MS, but there is only one other medical school in that state they need to compete with for rotations. Right next door in Alabama, there are three med schools competing for rotations in the same state. (ACOM, VCOM-Auburn and the University of Alabama on the MD side.) Wouldn't quality rotations for the DO schools in Alabama be a lot tougher to get?

Last edited:
Not sure about your info. sources. At lunch hour, I just look a look at their web site and saw a COMLEX Level 3 first time pass rate of 97% which exceeds the national average for DO schools. Rotations wise, I heard they use a hub site model which is comparable to KYCOM's. I'm not in MS, but there is only one other medical school in that state they need to compete with for rotations. Right next door in Alabama, there are three med schools competing for rotations in the same state. (ACOM, VCOM-Auburn and the University of Alabama on the MD side.) Wouldn't quality rotations for the DO schools in Alabama be a lot tougher to get?

You're forgetting university of south Alabama. But no. UAB has their own medical center and USA does their own thing to. ACOM has the AMEC pipeline leaving VCOM-A the only one left out but they can send students to the left over spots in the AMEC pipeline because there is way more than what ACOM needs and they can send their students to the other 2 beach campus rotations in Carolina and Virginia

You're forgetting university of south Alabama. But no. UAB has their own medical center and USA does their own thing to. ACOM has the AMEC pipeline leaving VCOM-A the only one left out but they can send students to the left over spots in the AMEC pipeline because there is way more than what ACOM needs and they can send their students to the other 2 beach campus rotations in Carolina and Virginia

VCOM-Auburn has plenty of sites in Alabama and Florida, with Alabama being the preferred location. We'd only send people to the Carolina or Virginia sites if it was an even trade (e.g., a Virginia student wants to do rotations in Alabama and an Auburn student wants to do rotations in Virginia).

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Speaking of new schools I recently interviewed at ARCOM and was wondering if @Goro had any opinions relating to the school ( seemed impressive to me but not sure if I want to be a guinea pig) thanks!!

Don't know anything about it. Students attending brand new schools need to go in eyes open, expecting there to be glitches in there education and will be best if they are self starters and good self learners.

Speaking of new schools I recently interviewed at ARCOM and was wondering if @Goro had any opinions relating to the school ( seemed impressive to me but not sure if I want to be a guinea pig) thanks!!

Reactions: 2 users
Hi,

I'm trying to build a school list, but I'd like to know realistically where I would have the best chance.

cGPA: 3.71 sGPA: 3.61 (no grade replacement)
MCAT: 502
NY resident.

500 hours of clinical research
300 hours of non-clinical research, name on abstract.
> 200 hours of scribing
100 hours of volunteering in my community
20 hours of shadowing
5 letters total, 1 being the committee letter.

I have all 3 LECOM campuses, NYIT...if anyone else wants to weigh in, that'd be great! Thanks!

All schools except for AZCOM, LUCOM, WCU, and OU-HCOM. (5 year contract to practice there after residency = no bueno).

CCOM average last year was a 29 old and 505 new directly stated on their website. It's expected to rise this application cycle too. Even got me worried.