Building a School List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Go4Doc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I'm an aspiring MD/PhD student with plans on applying for the first time next summer. I'm extremely confident that this is the right type of program for me and according to some of the guides on this site I should be a pretty strong applicant. However, I am aware that this is the most competitive pre-health path in the country and I'm a little lost when it comes to where I should apply.

My main questions are:

How many schools should I apply to?
In terms of school prestige, how should I spread my applications?
I'm intrigued by the GPP option for MSTP. Is that something people would recommend? Why/ why not?
Do you have any schools that you'd personally recommend and/or think might be a good fit based on my information below?
Do you have any other advice that you think is pertinent for an applicant such as myself?

Below you'll find a summary of the noteworthy aspects of my application. Also, please let me know if my Stanford experience as described would count as either clinical and research experience as long as I don't double-count the hours.

Thank you in advance for your all of your help!

Numbers: MCAT of 521, cGPA of 3.82 (technically 3.817), sGPA of 3.75.
*NOTE* - Trend is upward, three of last four semesters were 4.0

Education: B.S. in Neuroscience; Minors in Psychology and Pharmacology; School: U of Minn - Twin Cities

Resident: CA

Honors: Summa cum laude from University Honors Program (entailed writing a thesis that summarized research I did while at the U), graduated with distinction, Phi Beta Kappa, Eagle Scout

Research: 2 years+1 summer in Parkinson's Deep Brain Stimulation (DBS) monkey lab at UMN & presented findings at international conference (SFN), 4 months Mayo Clinic (Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship), 12-13 months in DBS lab at Stanford SOM at time of application (I will be there for two years total)

Publications: None yet but by the time I apply I should have 1 mid author paper from Mayo, 1 second or mid author paper from UMN, 1+ mid author papers from Stanford, and maybe 1 first author from Stanford

Clinical: 1.) 2 school years as volunteer EMT at my university. 1.) The stanford lab I'm in now is an awesome hybrid of research and clinical. Instead of monkeys I work with human subjects, all of whom have had DBS surgery. On Mondays and Tuesdays we do experiments with them and record synchronized neural and kinematic signals. I get to interface with the patients directly, am trained in administering both the UPDRS and C-SSRS, I frequently adjust their stimulation settings and often times am the one who makes sure they get sent home on the right settings, and I get to observe my PI as she interacts with them. (Please note that these reserach visits are combined with their normal, 3 month follow-up appointments and therefore some of this time certainly counts as shadowing.) The rest of the week is dedicated to data analysis. I should have something like 500+ hours of patient exposure through the lab by the time I apply and at least double that in research hours from this experience alone.

Leadership:
1.) TA for 300-level Physiology class
2.) Kaplan Instructor for MCAT & GRE

Extra Curriculars from my undergrad career:
1.) Health and Biological Research (HBR) News - Treasurer
2.) Alpha Epsilon Pi Fraternity - Academics Committee Chairman & Committee Member
3.) University of Minnesota Pharmacology Club - Member
4.) Undergraduate Surgery Interest Group - Member
5.) University of Minnesota Emergency Medical Services - Emergency Medical Technician (EMT)
6.) Minnesota Medical Reserve Corps - EMT
7.) Serenade the City Acapella - Member

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone, I just wanted to clarify that is written to anyone, not just the experts. If you're a current or recent applicant, how did you go about building your list? Anything helps!

Do a search or look in the FAQ. This gets asked frequently. There is no right answer to your question.

How many schools should I apply to?
In terms of school prestige, how should I spread my applications?
I'm intrigued by the GPP option for MSTP. Is that something people would recommend? Why/ why not?
Do you have any schools that you'd personally recommend and/or think might be a good fit based on my information below?
Do you have any other advice that you think is pertinent for an applicant such as myself?

10 - 15 is my recommendation

Usually ~4 top tier, ~4 mid-tier, ~4 low-tier in terms of competitiveness (which is a mix of USNews research ranking and desirable location)

I don't know much about the GPP. If it matches with your interests, there's nothing wrong with it, but there is limited support from institutions. You can tailor your app towards this if it's your goal.

I don't recommend schools outside of my very niche research interest.

Apply early, do a good job on essays, common sense stuff...

Reactions: 1 users