Build an ideal Ortho residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wannashmooze

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
That post on ideal gensurg residencies got me thinking.
As a MS4 who matched into a brand new ortho residency for
next year, I'm looking for suggestions on how to help the residency start off on the right foot and in general be as ideal as possible from the get go.

Also, what's a good book to read at this stage other than the Handbook of Fractures and netter's concise orthopedic anatomy?

Any input is really appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

Just some random thoughts...

Well you aren't likely to be able to change much about a lot if things. Hopefully you have a busy enough trauma center. Hopefully you have enough faculty in each ortho sub specialty to get a balanced experience. Hopefully your faculty are interested in teaching and you have sound program leadership/organization. If the program is just starting then hopefully you will be able to get loads of operative experience early. It will be a challenge not having mid and upper level residents to share wisdom and learn from... Or maybe you do have that?.

Your input will probably go along way in terms of how to structure the didactic curriculum. Research opportunities will largely depend on what attendings or adjunct profs have funding, but you could push for dedicated research time.

If your program is just starting out you will probably have to change a lot on the fly and be the Ginny pig for a while.

Best of luck, congrats on the match. What program?

Meadowlands hospital.
Thanks for the input. The point about upper level help/wisdom is well taken. We have 4 people in pgy2/ pgy3 positions, so there will be some seniors.

Members don't see this ad :)
I posted in the other thread you started in the main surgery forum but somehow your OP got deleted and it said I created the thread haha. Anyways I'm reading orthobullets for the basic science. It's pretty good but not too in depth. I'm doing this because I can only work out and watch netflix so much. I figured it wouldn't be a bad idea to refresh the knowledge I had on rotations.

MD match is the 15th. DO was in February and military was in December. I matched military

Orthobullets has an ABOS study plan that started in Jan, it emails you daily topics to briefly read over and do questions on. Also gives abstract to HY article each day. I've just been skimming through topics to get familiar with them and getting PDFs of what articles I can to read later on. It's supposed to repeat topics three times.

Orthobullets has an ABOS study plan that started in Jan, it emails you daily topics to briefly read over and do questions on. Also gives abstract to HY article each day. I've just been skimming through topics to get familiar with them and getting PDFs of what articles I can to read later on. It's supposed to repeat topics three times.

Just started on the ABOS review. Its really great, thanks!