This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which program is better?

• Total voters

Xxartpopxx

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got accepted into all three MPH programs. Wondering what peoples thoughts are? Which one is better? I am looking to go into epidemiology...I also am hoping to do something in autoimmune disease research

Members don't see this ad.

If everything's the same to you (cost, size, flexibility, etc.), then I think the clear answer is BU. Northeastern's program is only for urban health and their classes focus on the community side of it, not too much in epi. Tufts has many tracks, but their epidemiology and biostatistics ones are combined. I think BU will allow you to specialize what you want study a lot more since there are just so many options for certificates and tracks. I'm assuming you're already in Boston... you could knock out a visit to all 3 in one well-planned day and see for yourself.

If everything's the same to you (cost, size, flexibility, etc.), then I think the clear answer is BU. Northeastern's program is only for urban health and their classes focus on the community side of it, not too much in epi. Tufts has many tracks, but their epidemiology and biostatistics ones are combined. I think BU will allow you to specialize what you want study a lot more since there are just so many options for certificates and tracks. I'm assuming you're already in Boston... you could knock out a visit to all 3 in one well-planned day and see for yourself.
I believe I do better in smaller class sizes...I also will be taking the T and seems a lot easier to get to Tufts or Northeastern from the T than BU (it looks like a 20 minute walk from the T). Also, I am interested in research and I don't know which one program provides better research opportunities.

Congratulations on your acceptances!

I also got accepted into all three MPH programs. To compare those three programs, I personally think that BU has the most rigorous curriculum among those three. But it is a big school, and you might not like the class size.

In general, Northeastern is getting remarkably bigger and better. Northeastern's MPH is a very small size one, about 20-25 people enter the program each year. The program is very much focused on urban health, as you probably know.

You might like Tufts because its MPH program is a very much research-focused one. I declined Tufts because the MPH program is provided through medical school. I had an impression that the program lacks in depth.