BU MPH tuition + living costs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dudulche

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am an international applicant and I recently got admitted to BU MPH. I have not received the official letter detailing the tuition + costs yet. I know I have been recommended for a merit award (15K per semester?). Being an international applicant, it helps greatly with my planning to know the cost of living and school tuition and fees as early as possible.

Can any of you give me a good estimate of how much I will be spending out of pocket per year (school and living combined)? Also, how does off-campus housing compare to on-campus in terms of $? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I am an international applicant and I recently got admitted to BU MPH. I have not received the official letter detailing the tuition + costs yet. I know I have been recommended for a merit award (15K per semester?). Being an international applicant, it helps greatly with my planning to know the cost of living and school tuition and fees as early as possible.

Can any of you give me a good estimate of how much I will be spending out of pocket per year (school and living combined)? Also, how does off-campus housing compare to on-campus in terms of $? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Congratulations, dudulche! The merit award is actually spread out equally among 3 or 4 semesters - it's not renewable either. Unless there's something else set up for international students, in which case that would be wonderful! (It's 20k a semester at BU) I received a 15k merit award as well, and I opted to have it spread out equally over 4 semesters.

Unfortunately, I can't give you much insight on living in BU housing vs off-campus housing. If you are worried about costs, and have a super cheap budget to live on, room up with someone in the Allston-Brighton neighborhoods. You can check out Craigslist for those looking for roomates - a quick search brings up apartments from $500-1000 a month.

Congratulations, dudulche! The merit award is actually spread out equally among 3 or 4 semesters - it's not renewable either. Unless there's something else set up for international students, in which case that would be wonderful! (It's 20k a semester at BU) I received a 15k merit award as well, and I opted to have it spread out equally over 4 semesters.

Unfortunately, I can't give you much insight on living in BU housing vs off-campus housing. If you are worried about costs, and have a super cheap budget to live on, room up with someone in the Allston-Brighton neighborhoods. You can check out Craigslist for those looking for roomates - a quick search brings up apartments from $500-1000 a month.

Thanks Kalla! Congrats to you too! Do you know if it is common or even possible for MPH students to seek or secure paid research positions with PH faculty at BU? I was thinking about emailing the faculty and asking if they need research assistants....

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Kalla! Congrats to you too! Do you know if it is common or even possible for MPH students to seek or secure paid research positions with PH faculty at BU? I was thinking about emailing the faculty and asking if they need research assistants....

Common? No. Possible? Yes. I was a RA when I was a MPH student. Unfortunately, not every faculty member has tons of research money where they are in a position to be hiring.

Common? No. Possible? Yes. I was a RA when I was a MPH student. Unfortunately, not every faculty member has tons of research money where they are in a position to be hiring.

Thanks for your reply Stories. Do you know of any other funding opportunities (teaching positions, school fellowships/scholarships, etc.) that you recommend an MPH student like me to look for at BU?

I also got into BU w/ a merit scholarship. I'm hoping that the open house on April 6th will provide more financial info. Do they even have grad student housing for MPH students?

Thanks for your reply Stories. Do you know of any other funding opportunities (teaching positions, school fellowships/scholarships, etc.) that you recommend an MPH student like me to look for at BU?

TA positions pay you a stipend (no tuition benefits).

There are fellowships offered within each department, but you have to inquire at the department itself. And generally you have to apply to this in October-ish.

Not sure what other opportunities are out there aside from the merit scholarship that are offered at acceptance.

Hi,
Can somebody send me more information about the open house in BU on April 6?I want to attend it.
Thank you!

Hi Kalla! When you say that a merit award of 15k, do you mean that you get 15k per semester, or is it spread out among 4 semesters, in which you're getting 4k per semester? I received a 15k merit scholarship as well, so I'm just wondering what other people are getting.

I think a problem with BU is the quality of education to cost ratio. It's just too expensive! Also, the students can be super competitive, and your classes might not be taught by professors.

I think a problem with BU is the quality of education to cost ratio. It's just too expensive! Also, the students can be super competitive, and your classes might not be taught by professors.
Hm, I thought all of the classes were taught by professors?

I think that there are classes at BU taught by TA's, hired adjunct faculty, and group discussion classes where students teach each other, at least that is what I heard was going to happen.

BU is in the process of getting permission to do a "self-study", BS in Health (or something like that). So, I wouldn't be surprised if self-study and group directed learning become more important at BU