BU MAMS vs Tufts BMS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RandomChance

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have gained acceptance into both and I am dead stuck between the two! Some of the previous comparison threads I've dug through seem to be older - when the Tufts program wasn't quite as established, but anyway the two programs seem surprisingly similar:

BOTH:

- 2-year suggested program

- Require a thesis (lit or lab based) to actually receive the master’s degree

- Upper-tier SMP programs with a history of success

- Offer a dual MPH/MBA option

- Don’t grade on a curve, so it’s not cut-throat between students

I've made a brief list of Pro's for each:
Tufts:

- Cheaper ( ~50k)
- Smaller class sizes
- Has an optional built-in MCAT prep course spring semester (I would have to retake in the summer)
- Chinatown/Downtown Crossing area is super neat
- It sounds (correct me if I’m wrong!) Tufts SoM takes more applicants from their SMP program than BU SoM takes from their MAMS

BU MAMS:

- A more historic program, potentially more weight behind its name
- A higher ranked SoM if one were to be able to matriculate
- Starts two weeks later which might get me another publication at my current lab
- Proven history of success over a long period of time

If you were choosing between the two, which one would you go for and why?

Members don't see this ad.

I got into both last year but didn't end up going to either. I would've gone to Tufts MBS over BU MAMS before I got into Tulane ACLP and even flew up to Boston for the revisit day. Worth noting that rent in that area was super killer though and a lot of people lived further from campus on public transit lines.

I have gained acceptance into both and I am dead stuck between the two! Some of the previous comparison threads I've dug through seem to be older - when the Tufts program wasn't quite as established, but anyway the two programs seem surprisingly similar:

BOTH:

Tufts:

- Cheaper ( ~50k)
- Smaller class sizes
- Has an optional built-in MCAT prep course spring semester (I would have to retake in the summer)
- It sounds (correct me if I’m wrong!) Tufts SoM takes more applicants from their SMP program than BU SoM takes from their MAMS

BU MAMS:

- Starts two weeks later which might get me another publication at my current lab

Hey, I'm in the same spot right now, dead stuck between the two programs and I was wondering if you had any advice now that you've most likely completed one of the two programs?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

BOTH:

Tufts:

- Cheaper ( ~50k)
- Smaller class sizes

BU MAMS:

Hi, I know this post is a few years old but I'm currently stuck between the same choices. Did you decide on one vs. the other, and with what criteria in mind? Now that you've completed a program (assuming you went to one of these) what advice would you give in hindsight?

Hey, I'm in the same spot right now, dead stuck between the two programs and I was wondering if you had any advice now that you've most likely completed one of the two programs?

It doesn't seem that there's much opinion from previous students on this topic currently, have you personally made a choice in programs or found out any information that could be helpful?

Old thread, but super relevant to me right now - any updated advice?

Old thread, but super relevant to me right now - any updated advice?
Hey! I am in the same boat as you right now deciding between the two. I cant give advice but if you want to DM me we can talk about it.
Also trying to figure this out. Did either of you end up making a decision? If so, why did you choose your program?