Bu: Mams 2012-2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Question for the previous students of the program:

If the program is completed in two years, how does the financial aid for the second year work out? Would I be wrong to assume that since you are only enrolled for 2 credits a semester you would be unable to get direct loans for COL?

Also am I right to assume that if you are applying during your first year, you would be able to graduate in summer if you get in, and also have the option to stay on the next year if you dont get in? I thought I read some stipulation that you must make that decision when you first enter the program but I can't find where I read that so I wanted to be sure.

Members don't see this ad.

I will second that notion on the table. Dr. Davies rocks! :cool:

I just got accepted to the dual MAMS/clinical investigation degree today! I am so happy.

Waitlisted at georgetown SMP. They have 140 people on the waitlist but I'm anticipating significant movement after May 15th.

Are any of you applying to medschool this cycle before BU MAMS?

Members don't see this ad :)
I got into the dual degree with clinical investigation yesterday! So happy! Can anyone tell me if the dual degree affects the cost of the program?

Question for the previous students of the program:

If the program is completed in two years, how does the financial aid for the second year work out? Would I be wrong to assume that since you are only enrolled for 2 credits a semester you would be unable to get direct loans for COL?

Also am I right to assume that if you are applying during your first year, you would be able to graduate in summer if you get in, and also have the option to stay on the next year if you dont get in? I thought I read some stipulation that you must make that decision when you first enter the program but I can't find where I read that so I wanted to be sure.

You will still qualify for loans because your status will be certified full time student even though you're not enrolled in the 30 credits or whatever it is.

The only way you can graduate in one year is if you do a library thesis (no additional GPA credit). Of course, if the cycle isn't going well....you can choose to do a full year lab thesis and reapply. GMS advisors recommend you only apply during thesis year but upto you. You only have to make the decision to stay one or two years in Spring semester. Also, BU does not accept students who applied during the 1st year of the program but other schools can be receptive. Some people just left the program if they got in somewhere early in their first year (but this may depend on whether the school they were accepted to was okay with them just quitting the program).

Yes that is all true. However, its very very likely the best school you'll get into is BU...not impossible though! I think there has been Ucla and Columbia but we're talking 40+ mcats!

There are at least 10-15 students this year that got into schools that were AT LEAST BU's ranking or better with mcats scores ranging from the 32s to 41.

There's no sugarcoating the reality that there is no SMP in existence that gives you a noticeably large benefit in getting into UCs. Basically if you're a california resident, unless your stats are stellar, you won't get into a UC no matter which SMP you go into. I didn't even apply to UCs for that exact reason.

Since this has not been emphasized, if you are a california resident, very improbable chance that you will not get into a UC unless you came with decently competitive uGPA AND you are in the 3.9+ gpa in the class AND get a 36+ on your mcat. This is a combination of too many students and not enough seats in Cali. EXPECT to end up in an OOS school for medicine.

I don't know where this "most get into DO" thing comes around. Most I know of end up in MD schools.

As far as your condition goes, it is a combination of bad luck, being from a disadvantageous state (no state school that is "easy" to get into"), mediocre MCAT and not applying to enough schools. Your SMP GPA is probably average if not above average, and your uGPA is certainly in the higher-highest end within the BU program. Your ECs are also above average so there is nothing holding you back. However, the biggest problem is that most students have state schools to fall back onto (NY, Florida, etc). California does not.

You stated you applied to ~25 schools,~ 5 of which were probably UCs+USC. Which means you applied to 20 OOS schools. Compare this with me, a CA resident as well, 3.92 grad GPA and 38 MCAT, and I applied to 40 schools without applying to any of the UCs.

There is no reason why you shouldn't get into a MD school. You are above average in everything, except your MCAT. That IS probably what's hurting you, but this is not a purpose of the program though it does improve generally as a side effect of the program. This is not something the program (or any SMP can fix), this is an aspect you need to work on. With that said, your MCAT alone is not sufficient to keep you away from a MD school.

Which leads me to believe you probably didn't apply to enough schools. I don't know if I saw how many interviews you got (if any), but I've seen (significantly) lower stat students with similar mcats from california at least get a couple interviews, but they applied to broadly.

Oh, one last thing. How early you finish your application makes a several fold difference. I don't exactly know what you mean by your application was complete by august (secondaries?), but you need to apply and get everything done asap. This I know for a fact.

Don't give up hope on a MD! Your stats are high enough to avoid a DO.

Last edited:
I actually had a great list of schools which I applied that have been more forgiving of MCAT scores and like SMP graduates from previous years. I did a lot of research into them and I had a few advisors and friends look at the list which they approved. My number was more close to 27 which did NOT include UCs and I didn't receive any interviews. I'm not exactly sure what made up your 40 schools but with such strong stats, you probably had a lot of options in terms of high tier private schools which wouldn't have made sense for an applicant like me to apply to.

Approximately 170-180 students are in the masters program...most of the people you knew getting into an MD program is a very different statement and students may perceive that into something else (which is exactly why I even decided to post). Anyway, point is I really recommend the accepted BU MAMS kids to call the school and find out if the program suits you. There are people who come into the program with mediocre MCATs and maybe not the strongest standardized test taking skills (like myself) and it's critical we self evaluate ourselves and find out what other options there are to get into an US MD program (if that's what you want).This year has been very hard on me and on lots of other people I know and I just don't want anyone else to go through it. So please, just be as informed, self evaluating/reflective, and aware as possible.

You are absolutely right about it. Unfortunately not too many smps are very helpful if your mcat isn't high. You are better off going for a strict linkage like evms which is wonderful cause of the linkage. Getting into busm from bu is only possible with the most well rounded students. Think about it. It is one of the most respected and effective smps at basically the highest ranked medical school among the smp programs at a med school which receives ~11k applications for 180 seats, a third of which are from other linkage programs. There's 11000 reasons we shouldn't get in... But they give us a chance to and thats a huge privilege.

I got a sort of side question. I took my MCAT in May '11 and got a 32. Should I bother retaking it assuming I get a 3.8gpa+ at BU?

Do you need to? Probably not. However, how were you scoring on your practice exams? If you were scoring 35+ and ended up with a 32 then you can definitely consider it if you just want to be a more competitive applicant and secure your spot with other schools as well. This is a question that your advisors will be able to give you much insight on with a GPA at hand.

I know plenty of people who got into BUSM with a 32 and 3.8 though so I wouldn't sweat it!

I was scoring around 30 on the practices so I donno how much better I would do if I retook it. My weakest (like many) is verbal, it's a 9. I'm not sure if doing the MAMS program can help me improve that score.

Is BUSM's MCAT cutoff 3 years? I've heard there are a few schools that have a 2 year limit.

I was scoring around 30 on the practices so I donno how much better I would do if I retook it. My weakest (like many) is verbal, it's a 9. I'm not sure if doing the MAMS program can help me improve that score.

Is BUSM's MCAT cutoff 3 years? I've heard there are a few schools that have a 2 year limit.

If you're scoring around a 30 on your practice, taking the exam won't do anything. The mams program does increase your scores but generally in biology and a little bit of physics. Doubt it'll do anything to your verbal.

I can't remember what the MCAT cut off is but I don't think it is 2 years.. Ill find out

I would check with advisors to make sure that 9 won't be held against you. It's important to have double digits straight across. Maybe there's some intense verbal workshop you could do to help improve that? I know someone who had a 6 on verbal the first time they took the mcat and pretty much breathed mcat verbal for a few months and ended up with a 12 the next time! You could try doing some intense studying now before the program and see how you do on the practice exams and if youre scoring higher then it might be worth it to take it (before you start in the fall)...I don't think it'll be worth it to take it after the first year of the program and delay your app though (unless the advisors recommend you to).

BUSM should be 3 years.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would check with advisors to make sure that 9 won't be held against you. It's important to have double digits straight across. Maybe there's some intense verbal workshop you could do to help improve that? I know someone who had a 6 on verbal the first time they took the mcat and pretty much breathed mcat verbal for a few months and ended up with a 12 the next time! You could try doing some intense studying now before the program and see how you do on the practice exams and if youre scoring higher then it might be worth it to take it (before you start in the fall)...I don't think it'll be worth it to take it after the first year of the program and delay your app though (unless the advisors recommend you to).

BUSM should be 3 years.

Yea that 9 is really annoying and I heard a few schools have a cutoff of 10 for verbal but most of those schools are already out of my reach (e.g. UCLA and such) so I don't know how much it would help me to retake the test and risk getting a lower score. Plus I've looked at the matriculating scores for verbal and 9 is the average so it shouldn't be toooo bad.

I'm glad it's 3 years for BUSM. Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Just got my acceptance letter today! I really want to complete the program in 1 year, so I would have to take the 2 summer semesters, one of them being this summer? Anyone else in this situation, when does school start, etc?

Just got my acceptance letter today! I really want to complete the program in 1 year, so I would have to take the 2 summer semesters, one of them being this summer? Anyone else in this situation, when does school start, etc?

I also got accepted today and I'm interested in knowing the above as well! :) Thanks in advance to anyone who has any advice!

I also got accepted today and I'm interested in knowing the above as well! :) Thanks in advance to anyone who has any advice!

Congrats! I figured out that the "2 summer semesters" are actually the 2 summer SESSIONS (I and II) which can be completed in the summer of 2013 - hopefully - before matriculating to medical school in the fall.

Is there a gym near or on the campus?

Is there a gym near or on the campus?

The gym is on the charles river campus, which is about a 5-8 min bikeride away. The facility is absolutely amazing. I've never seen anything that's compared, really.

Also, does anyone know if the 3.0 cGPA, 3.1 sGPA cut-off is strict? The MCAT cutoff is 25, but would they consdiering a 2.8-2.9 with an upward trend and say a 31 MCAT? I've just been wondering.

They look at cases outside of the minimum requirements on case-by-case basis so no one can really answer that for you I am afraid.

For people who have decided to attend BU, what other SMPs were you accepted to and why did you choose BU?

Last edited:
The gym is on the charles river campus, which is about a 5-8 min bikeride away. The facility is absolutely amazing. I've never seen anything that's compared, really.

Also, does anyone know if the 3.0 cGPA, 3.1 sGPA cut-off is strict? The MCAT cutoff is 25, but would they consdiering a 2.8-2.9 with an upward trend and say a 31 MCAT? I've just been wondering.

They will go below the minimum cutoffs in some cases. But you need to be pretty strong in all other areas, and i'd say 32+ for mcat.

I know people who were accepted with a 2.8-2.9 and a GRE score (no MCAT). I think they're pretty flexible.

Has anyone ever done a lab thesis while completing the program in just one year?

How does MAMS compare to researching almost full time (while taking a few classes) in terms of usefulness for applying MD/PhD?

Has anyone ever done a lab thesis while completing the program in just one year?

How does MAMS compare to researching almost full time (while taking a few classes) in terms of usefulness for applying MD/PhD?

Has anyone ever done it? Yes. Would I recommend it? No. You need to make sure you do as well as possible in the classes.

Honestly, it's only doable if you're already in Boston and are already working in a lab so that way you know your PI and their flexibility, etc.

MAMS is for people who have lower undergrad GPAs and have a science background already...it will increase your competitiveness for an MD program but probably not for an MD/PhD. Most people who complete a thesis at BU do not turn into a publication. You should come into MAMS with the research experience and publications already in order to be competitive for an MD/PhD. However, if you get into the MD program at BU, you can apply for the MD/PhD program as a first or second year med student (this may be possible at other schools as well).

If you already have a strong ugrad GPA and strong MCAT then just focus on the research. If your ugrad GPA is under a 3.2, I'd consider MAMS to gain admission to an MD program.

Can someone say what the average MCAT and cGPA are of matriculants into BU MAMS?

This is for accepted applicants according to MSAR. I don't know what the numbers are for matriculants.

10th percentile cGPA is 3.41

Median cGPA is 3.75

90th percentile cGPA is 3.95

10th percentile MCAT is 30

Median MCAT is 34

90th percentile MCAT is 37

This is for accepted applicants according to MSAR. I don't know what the numbers are for matriculants.

10th percentile cGPA is 3.41

Median cGPA is 3.75

90th percentile cGPA is 3.95

10th percentile MCAT is 30

Median MCAT is 34

90th percentile MCAT is 37

I believe that alexrgross was requesting the statistics of those accepted into the MAMS program. These statistics appear to be of those accepted into the medical school.

I believe that alexrgross was requesting the statistics of those accepted into the MAMS program. These statistics appear to be of those accepted into the medical school.

Lol you're right. I read it wrong. I don't know what the stats are for mactriculating students.

Can someone say what the average MCAT and cGPA are of matriculants into BU MAMS?

I would imagine it's about 3.2 cGPA and MCAT is probably mid-high 20s (25-28). I know people who were accepted with MUCH lower stats...like below a 2.9 and 21-22 MCAT.

I would imagine it's about 3.2 cGPA and MCAT is probably mid-high 20s (25-28). I know people who were accepted with MUCH lower stats...like below a 2.9 and 21-22 MCAT.

Any student under something like a 3.0 ugpa and/or a very low mcat are cautioned that the program may not be sufficient to get them into medical school. Average is probably a 29-30 for the mcat. You've got bigger things to worry about than grades if your mcat is lower.

Any student under something like a 3.0 ugpa and/or a very low mcat are cautioned that the program may not be sufficient to get them into medical school. Average is probably a 29-30 for the mcat. You've got bigger things to worry about than grades if your mcat is lower.

agreed.

have any current or former MAMS students gotten into the MD program for the fall of 2012? Any waitlisters?

thanks

Hi everyone. I am going to be a second year MAMS student and am looking for a roommate to fill my other room in Harrison Court next year. If anyone is interested please send me a message and we can hopefully figure something out :thumbup:. Rent is 1100/month/person.

Anyone else excited about that email regarding the medical student residence? I hope that waitlist has a decent amount of spots for us GMS students. Seems like a lot of the suites are not filled.

I'm down to my last 2 days of deciding on BU MAMS, and I would really appreciate your input. Again, my stats are 3.28sGPA from WashU, and a 32R MCAT (10VR, 11BS, 11PS). My dream is a UC, but I'm open minded.

It's either Loyola MAMS or BU MAMS:

I intend to apply to medical schools after one full year of MAMS coursework under my belt. My argument for BU's 2 year program is that "I will be gliding anyway" - might as well do a lab thesis while I'm waiting, during my second year of BU MAMS. I have a concern about this, though: will medical school admissions, upon seeing that I am in a 2 year program, set my application aside to anticipate the 2nd year results, thus delaying their decision?

Secondly, I spent the whole day on SDN researching the percent of people who get an A average in BU MAMS (if there is such a figure). I'm still stuck on this. I saw someone throw out a figure that 15% of the 150 students get A's (or so), but other isolated posts of people not necessarily needing above 3.5 to get interviews. I am sure the grad-level courses at Loyola are the same difficulty, and so I'm wondering if (1) I might as well invest making the "they're medschool classes!" argument and (2) if getting A's in BU MAMS will give me more medschool options than all A's in Loyola MAMS (or of this is a no brainer).

Regarding federal loans, BU MAMS told me that there is a cap of ~20K or so per year. Can this be renewed then, for the second year (and/or summer session) to cover the cost of the lab thesis credits, housing, and/or continuing student fee? Does anyone know if it's subsidized?

The reason why Loyola MAMS is distracting my commitment to BU MAMS, is because of the glide year flexibility, the 35K vs. 42K tuition, and the guaranteed Stritch interview perk. Interestingly, and perhaps mistakenly, I am starting to lose the sense that I am fighting to get into a medical school rather than my favorite medical school (that maybe BU MAMS will be my golden ticket back to UCLA)....

Finally, I am avoiding at all costs the risk of being "stateless" when I apply to medschools. I just wanted to double check on this, just in case you were thinking the same. I lived in CA for my whole life except during WashU (permanent residence there), CA drivers license and bank accounts, I don't file my own taxes, vote in Cali. Despite all this I keep seeing complex distinctions between residency status for legal purposes versus enrollment purposes, and the like. Since I am a medschool applicant I'm wondering if my ambiguous out of state intended duration makes me "stateless", and whether being out 2 years (for BU) vs. 1 year (Loyola) will make a difference on my state residency.

Any advice about any of this is appreciated. I'm in a real time crunch here since my security deposit and letter of intent for BU MAMS is due Monday.

I'm down to my last 2 days of deciding on BU MAMS, and I would really appreciate your input. Again, my stats are 3.28sGPA from WashU, and a 32R MCAT (10VR, 11BS, 11PS). My dream is a UC, but I'm open minded.

I intend to apply to medical schools after one full year of MAMS coursework under my belt. My argument for BU's 2 year program is that "I will be gliding anyway" - might as well do a lab thesis while I'm waiting, during my second year of BU MAMS. I have a concern about this, though: will medical school admissions, upon seeing that I am in a 2 year program, set my application aside to anticipate the 2nd year results, thus delaying their decision?

Secondly, I spent the whole day on SDN researching the percent of people who get an A average in BU MAMS (if there is such a figure). I'm still stuck on this. I saw someone throw out a figure that 15% of the 150 students get A's (or so), but other isolated posts of people not necessarily needing above 3.5 to get interviews. I am sure the grad-level courses at Loyola are the same difficulty, and so I'm wondering if (1) I might as well invest making the "they're medschool classes!" argument and (2) if getting A's in BU MAMS will give me more medschool options than all A's in Loyola MAMS (or of this is a no brainer).

Regarding federal loans, BU MAMS told me that there is a cap of ~20K or so per year. Can this be renewed then, for the second year (and/or summer session) to cover the cost of the lab thesis credits, housing, and/or continuing student fee? Does anyone know if it's subsidized?

The reason why Loyola MAMS is distracting my commitment to BU MAMS, is because of the glide year flexibility, the 35K vs. 42K tuition, and the guaranteed Stritch interview perk. Interestingly, and perhaps mistakenly, I am starting to lose the sense that I am fighting to get into a medical school rather than my favorite medical school (that maybe BU MAMS will be my golden ticket back to UCLA)....

Finally, I am avoiding at all costs the risk of being "stateless" when I apply to medschools. I just wanted to double check on this, just in case you were thinking the same. I lived in CA for my whole life except during WashU (permanent residence there), CA drivers license and bank accounts, I don't file my own taxes, vote in Cali. Despite all this I keep seeing complex distinctions between residency status for legal purposes versus enrollment purposes, and the like. Since I am a medschool applicant I'm wondering if my ambiguous out of state intended duration makes me "stateless", and whether being out 2 years (for BU) vs. 1 year (Loyola) will make a difference on my state residency.

Any advice about any of this is appreciated. I'm in a real time crunch here since my security deposit and letter of intent for BU MAMS is due Monday.

I don't think they set aside your application because most med schools probably already know about the BU program and that your main work is done during the 1st year. Just make sure you apply as soon as AMCAS opens.

There is no curve at BU so whatever grade you get, that's it. If you read the posts above a few of the BU alumni will confirm that 3.8 GPA and 32+ MCAT are golden numbers to at least get into BUSM. You're goal should be to do the best you can in whatever program you choose and not just strive to get the minimum. It really is "you get what you put into it" type of situation. I think the fact that the BU courses are actual med school classes and not just graduate courses is important. The whole point of the program is to gauge how well you're going to do in med school, not graduate school. I don't know if the LUC courses have any clinical correlations.

I think I remember reading that the $20k does get offered again for the second year because BU counts you as full time even though you're only taking part-time coursework i.e. your thesis year. As of this year none of those loans are subsidized.

The BUSM takes around 15-30 MAMS students each year. I don't know how they count those figures though i.e. are these students who just graduated or graduated then spent another year doing something else or getting another masters then eventually getting accepted. Without knowing the linkage rate from the LUC MAMS to Stritch I can't say if the interview perk is worth it. I'll be willing to guess that it's the same rate as BU's.

Not sure about the residency stuff.

Is the 44k tuition for the first year only? Or does it cover the second year as well, when you're not taking classes and just doing lab research? If it's the former, how much is tuition for the second year?

Is the 44k tuition for the first year only? Or does it cover the second year as well, when you're not taking classes and just doing lab research? If it's the former, how much is tuition for the second year?

Hi, good question. The 42K tuition seems to be the sum total of the 32 credit requirement for the MAMS degree (so per credit is 42K/32). The 32 credit requirement can include the 8 credit laboratory thesis, and so I'm assuming a portion of the 42K will spill over to the 2nd year, in addition to the continuing student fee for the 2nd year (which is between 2K and 3K).

The 42K or 44K tuition is for the first year. Afterwards you need to take 2 consecutive semesters of continuing research credits in order to do your thesis. You take at least 2 credits/ summer semester or fall/spring semesters. each credit costs about a thousand dollars so it ends up costing around 4K the second year.

1. If you apply after the first year of classes medical schools won't wait on your thesis credits in order to make a decision. I know of plenty of students who got decisions on the first day October 15th. But I do know that for some students who were borderline and put on post-interview hold, the extra credits/finished thesis submitted early April helped them get into some schools.

2. From my experience it is very hard to get As in BUs program. I ended up getting a 4.0 taking the hardest courses they offered, but I was studying all the time. Unless your an absolute genius or have a photographic memory (in which case I have no clue why your in this program to begin with), your going to have to study at least 4-5 hours a day after classes minimum. Many times I was studying 8-10 hours and it still didn't seem like enough. About 10-15% of students get As in every class, minus Biostats and Biomedical Information that everyone gets As in. so for a class of 180 about 20-25 kids will get As. That being said, I know our Physiology B class this year had almost 40 kids get As as their final grades. I would estimate that of the 180 students, probably 10-15 kids MAX got a 4.0, but that number might be lower.
-Now BU doesn't have an automatic interview like some other schools, and their curriculum may be tough or tougher, but if you put in the work it will help you tremendously. BU and Georgetowns program are the top 2 programs in the country, and both were established more than 20 years ago. Most of the SMP/masters programs nowadays are relatively new or brand new. Thus they have a proven track record of success. Medical Schools recognize the BU MAMS name, and lots of schools have 2-3 MAMS students/class. The unofficial list of schools our teachers gave us that MAMS students have a high acceptance rate are BU, Tufts, SUNY Downstate, Wayne State, NYMC, EVMS, Penn State, Drexel, Temple, Creighton, Tulane, Georgetown, Loyola, Rosalind Franklin etc. And besides those schools, I know of students in the past two classes who have gotten into Columbia, Duke, Case Western, Emory, Cornell, and UCLA; even students who got interviews at Harvard and Johns Hopkins. So if your ready to devote an entire year to studying and nothing but studying, this program will help you get into a medical school, or the school of your choice. I'd say if your trying to get into BU's medical school, shoot for at least a 3.8 in their program and a 32 MCAT score, but if your undergrad grades/situation are much lower than the average (3.2), you may need a higher MCAT/graduate GPA.

3. I can't comment on Financial Aid as I took out loans with my parents.

4. On AMCAS you can only choose one state as your permanent residence, so if your a resident of Washington state and California you need to pick one. But if I were you I'd choose Washington just because their acceptance rate for instate and WWAMI is so high, and it is one of the best schools in the country.

If you have any other questions just PM me and I can definitely help.

that maybe BU MAMS will be my golden ticket back to UCLA

...or have overcome a huge disadvantage. Just too many students with much better gpa's rejected every year.

SMPs are for students who want to get into a med school, not a top 15 med school. With a little luck and great grad grades, you might earn an interview at Davis or Irvine.

giants25

Thanks for the thorough response to my post. I have until tomorrow to decide.

I am intimidated by the idea that 15/150 people get A's, generally, in each class. It was my belief that I need to be in that top 15 in order to have a chance at my favorite/more competitive medschools. I guess it's not adding up for me, to hear on one hand that "if you do the work, it will pay off" and on the other hand, "only 15 people get A's". I don't think a B average in BU MAMS will help me get into medschool, and, I may be overly pessimistic, but B's in BU MAMS might prove to to medschools that I in fact am a B student--thus confirming what they already knew from my 3.28 undergrad sGPA.

So, I am really scratching my head at two things. First, why aren't more people getting A's, if all it takes is "doing your fair share of work"? Secondly, will a 3.4-3.6 in BU MAMS be of any benefit if you have 3.28 sGPA and 32 MCAT? By the way, I am not going to buy into the idea that BU MAMS will necessarily give me top tier medschool interviews, but interviews to "a" medical school at least.

I am a hardcore student. I don't have photographic memory, but I am serious and determined to the point that others get frustrated that I seldom accept an invitation. I utilize powerpoint and excel to help me organize the information. I am excellent in a group studying situation with 2 or 3 others I have "study chemistry" with. I guess what I'm asking is, what kind of student were you in undergrad, and what did you do to get the 4.0 in BU MAMS? I'm trying to gauge if I am one of those.

For some reason, I am more confident that I can pull a 4.0 in Loyola MAMS rather than in BU MAMS. I don't have the 15/150 statistic for the Loyola program though; I know it is just as rigorous though. So really, I am weighing my likelihood of getting a 4.0, with the "weight" of that 4.0 given the medical school vs. grad school vs. name brand of those courses' institution.

BU Mams is a rigorous program. I have a strong human physiology research/clinical background BS/MS and began a PhD.... and I'm expecting a very tough year. I now have a lab posting in molecular medicine but I'm hoping to collaborate with a Tufts clinical nutrition lab as well.

Upon conversing with Dr. Davies on a few occasions, it's well near tough to complete the coursework and lab thesis in a timely manner, but it isn't impossible. (to answer the above question)

Not looking forward to the loans :(

Hello Everyone!

I DEFINITELY need some advice. I am absolutely ecstatic that I have been accepted to BU MAMs and UMDNJ for SMPs!

But, I am not sure which to choose as of right now. I have a 26 MCAT, so I definitely need to take that again, and I would like to apply to med school after completed one year of BU, or finishing UMDNJ.

I know this question has been answered, but for someone who definitely needs to retake the test and would prefer to only wait a year, which school makes more sense? I have heard SUCH mixed reviews about both programs. I am going to be very far from home and i would really appreciate some words of wisdom!

Thank you!

Hello Everyone!

I DEFINITELY need some advice. I am absolutely ecstatic that I have been accepted to BU MAMs and UMDNJ for SMPs!

But, I am not sure which to choose as of right now. I have a 26 MCAT, so I definitely need to take that again, and I would like to apply to med school after completed one year of BU, or finishing UMDNJ.

I know this question has been answered, but for someone who definitely needs to retake the test and would prefer to only wait a year, which school makes more sense? I have heard SUCH mixed reviews about both programs. I am going to be very far from home and i would really appreciate some words of wisdom!

Thank you!

Are you an NJ resident?

Are you open to both MD and DO? If yes - go to BU.

If you only want to do a US MD - I'd recommend you retake your MCAT first then focus wholeheartedly on the SMP. It'll be worth the wait.