BST RCSI Please help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ja2745

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone I was accepted for rotation in BST in a SHO position in Ireland and I have no idea about how training and education is there. Can anyonme help me plz ?What about life and salary of a SHO in surgery in Ireland?

Members don't see this ad.

Try not to post twice about the same topic.

ja2745 said:
Hi everyone I was accepted for rotation in BST in a SHO position in Ireland and I have no idea about how training and education is there. Can anyonme help me plz ?What about life and salary of a SHO in surgery in Ireland?

Salary = E39k/year based on 39 hrs/wk. After 39 hrs, you get overtime paid at time and a half.

Surgery SHOs will work 70-80hrs/wk (including on call hours) and generally pull down around E70-80k before tax.

This is all information pulled from asking Interns/SHOs about their salaries -- not earning one myself yet. :)

In general, over here, hours are more humane, plenty of tea breaks during the day, pay is better, 6 weeks paid vacation, etc.

Only drawback is junior docs don't do as much surgery as their American counterparts, so training experience wouldn't be as intense.

Members don't see this ad :)
alincoln said:
Only drawback is junior docs don't do as much surgery as their American counterparts, so training experience wouldn't be as intense.

Actually no surgery at all. You are a highly paid scut monkey. When compared to training in North America, Ireland is a sad joke.

Mike McKinnon said:
Actually no surgery at all. You are a highly paid scut monkey. When compared to training in North America, Ireland is a sad joke.

Your name almost looks like that of a guy on sdn who actually talks sense rather than complete gibberish.

Imitation is the highest form of flattery!

Happy St. Patrick's Day everyone! :luck:

LavenderLoraine said:
Imitation is the highest form of flattery!

Lavender is the best for cleaning up cum shots.

-PB