BS/DO Program at MSU. Chances?

smartc00kie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
=========

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
As is my concern with other state schools, I would be concerned that not being a Michigan resident (assumption since you're attending UW... if this is not the case, ignore the rest of this paragraph) you might have more difficulty getting in. Most state schools show significant preference for in-state students and, while they may have some slots reserved for out-of-state (OOS) students, they likely are going to show some bias against them (holding them to higher standards). In addition, IIRC, OOS students in Michigan pay some outlandish tuition at MSU.

For any combined degree program, your GPA and standardized test scores will be important. You'll want to have some strong numbers to show them.

Clinical shadowing is a key aspect when applying to these programs. You want to demonstrate that you understand the career you're committing to. 50 hours shadowing a physician would be good, if you can do some more next summer before applying, that would certainly strengthen your application.

Just out of curiosity, do you have a reason for applying specifically to the BS/DO program?

Members don't see this ad :)
sorry, I have no idea what I was thinking this morning... for some reason I was in Pre-Allo mode this morning and had you pegged as currently attending University of WI (which of course makes no sense if you're applying to BS/DO programs from HS).

Anyway. I'd go ahead and get some more shadowing in under your belt and try to get a LOR from the DO you've shadowed. It sounds like you should be competitive for the program.

To start, im a rising junior at MSU and a MD med scholar. I also was accepted into the DO program. With your numbers so far, you look golden to get in if you do well on the ACT or SAT (>31 or >2000 or so). I had pretty much similar numbers. However, I was in state and had the advantage of being a rural white kid vs suburban detroit students like the other 200 applicants. You definatly have a good shot with those numbers, just nail the interviews.

However, the BS/MD program ended this year. I havent heard anything about the BS/DO program, but you may want to make sure it is still going, as most BS/med programs across the country are being phased out. Let me know if you have any questions about MSU or the programs or anything