Brown Undergrad vs TCNJ/NJMS BA/MD

PrussianBrigadier

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry if this is not appropriate considering I'm still just a high school student but I am currently in the middle of deciding between attending Brown for my undergrad in the hope of being able to get into a better medical school or accepting an offer from TCNJ for a 7-year BA/MD program at NJMS.

Frankly, I am very conflicted. I do not know what to pick and I'm concerned that if I went to Brown I may not have the GPA/credentials to get into a med school. ON the other hand, I don't want to end up kicking myself for potentially losing the chance for a much more competitive med school For context, I was accepted off Brown's waitlist and have already denied Duke (largely just to general vibe). If it matters I have also been accepted to the interview stage of the Rochester BA/MD program but was not offered a spot. These are just to give examples of my academic stature.

Please let me stress that I don't intend to appear stuck-up or clueless. I realize my performance could be very different in college. Thank you for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

What about Browns PMLE? Any chance you could get into that? From what I heard Brown has a very large bias towards their own students when it comes to med school apps, so there's that to think about as well.

Reactions: 1 user
What about Browns PMLE? Any chance you could get into that? From what I heard Brown has a very large bias towards their own students when it comes to med school apps, so there's that to think about as well.
Unfortunately, I can't get into Brown's PLME. Unless I'm mistaken, which I very well might be, I think I can only apply to that before enrolling.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah, I see. This is a toughy, but it's up to you. Seeing as you got into Brown & Duke, I think as long as you do well in undergrad you will have no problem getting into a medical school. Brown is a wonderful school (I'm from RI and they have an awesome rep around here) and many doors will be open to you - is that worth giving up a pretty much guaranteed MD slot? That's up to you, but I seriously doubt you will have a problem getting into a med school from Brown.

Reactions: 1 user
Absolutely go to Brown. The chillest ivy, grade inflation, cool area and env't for college and the Brown name can help you with a LOT (esp. if you choose not to go into medicine).

Best of luck

Reactions: 1 users
Brown, 100%. It's difficult not to get a good GPA there. Like being average will get you a 3.7

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you so far for the input! It's definitely made me a little more confident at being able to succeed at Brown. I'll be doing another visit to ask more questions and feel it out once again and then I'll try to decide. Ultimately, my last concern is finding about the attrition rate/ how many students can actually get a committee letter.

Thank you so far for the input! It's definitely made me a little more confident at being able to succeed at Brown. I'll be doing another visit to ask more questions and feel it out once again and then I'll try to decide. Ultimately, my last concern is finding about the attrition rate/ how many students can actually get a committee letter.
The only problem with their committee letter is how late they get around to releasing it!

Unless it has changed since I was looking into colleges: they do not have required minimums for committee support (not that people get low GPAs there to begin with), the only "weed-out" class is organic chemistry (this is a weed-out everywhere) and their admit rate to medical schools is considerably above the national average, same as peers.