Broadlawns residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

densmore22

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone confirm or deny the "rumors" I've heard around the DMU campus about the Broadlawns residency? I heard that it's no longer and that they were trying to find other places to send there residents, as in urgently trying to find them spots to go? And if this is true, what does this mean for DMU? And why did this occur?

Thanks

Dens

Members don't see this ad.

Can anyone confirm or deny the "rumors" I've heard around the DMU campus about the Broadlawns residency? I heard that it's no longer and that they were trying to find other places to send there residents, as in urgently trying to find them spots to go? And if this is true, what does this mean for DMU? And why did this occur?

Thanks

Dens

I am not sure of the ultimate fate of the residency. It is true that their first and second year residents are relocating at the beginning of next year. It is also true that they are not taking a resident this next year. As far as I know, 3rd year students are still rotating there and 4th year students can still extern there (I'll be there Feb-May). But whether the residency is gone for good or not, I don't know. I don't yet know the details of just what happened. I think it is safe to say that it is down for a while.

I do know that they had some similar issues years ago and Dr. "S" and DMU stepped in. Maybe that will happen again. It is a shame too because it was a good little program and Dr. Mandracchia is an excellent teacher.

I am not sure of the ultimate fate of the residency. It is true that their first and second year residents are relocating at the beginning of next year. It is also true that they are not taking a resident this next year. As far as I know, 3rd year students are still rotating there and 4th year students can still extern there (I'll be there Feb-May). But whether the residency is gone for good or not, I don't know. I think it is safe to say that it is down for a while.

I do know that they had some similar issues years ago and Dr. "S" and DMU stepped in. Maybe that will happen again. It is a shame too because it was a good little program and Dr. Mandracchia is an excellent teacher.

I heard today that they actually ARE going to be taking a first year resident now next year - since those two residents are relocating, there will be enough surgeries to go around.

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard today that they actually ARE going to be taking a first year resident now next year - since those two residents are relocating, there will be enough surgeries to go around.

I can't imagine the CPME would be thrilled with that idea. I've never heard of a residency program that only takes a resident every 3rd year :laugh:

I did hear that they lost their PM&S-36 accreditation. With everything going on, I'm not sure anyone in my class would be willing to risk it.

I can't imagine the CPME would be thrilled with that idea. I've never heard of a residency program that only takes a resident every 3rd year :laugh:

I did hear that they lost their PM&S-36 accreditation. With everything going on, I'm not sure anyone in my class would be willing to risk it.

Haha wow. That doesn't sound too good at all. I have to admit that I don't know anything about residencies really, being in first year and all. However, after hearing that those two residents were leaving for other programs kind of made me wonder why...

Haha wow. That doesn't sound too good at all. I have to admit that I don't know anything about residencies really, being in first year and all. However, after hearing that those two residents were leaving for other programs kind of made me wonder why...

Oh man, the first year was one big, long, bad dream! I'm actually meeting up with some of my buddies in Chicago this weekend for residency interviews that spent a lot of time at the lawns. I'm hoping to get some answers. I'll let you know if I find anything out.

I hope to have a chance to meet you guys early next year. Maybe I'll get the chance to speak to all of you about my 4th year adventures!

thanks Jonwill, I'd be interested in hearing what went wrong. Might give some good info to look for when we're at that point looking at residencies.