British surgeons working in the US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrSC

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm shortly to graduate from med school here in the UK, and am interested in working in the US. I'm interested in ophthalmics or neurosurgery, and I was wondering what the best approach to working in the US as an English-qualified doctor is.

My question is, do I have to do your USMLEs, or if I were to commit to training in the UK until I reached Consultant level, are you eligible to work in the US because of that? I'm happy to do USMLEs if necessary.

Another question is how well-regarded are British doctors when applying for US fellowships or jobs? I hold a good first degree and a PhD in molecular biology with some publications.

I'd appreciate any info/guidance that comes to mind.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

As you may know, it is a lot easier to become an attending (e.g. consultant) in ophtho or neurosurg in the USA than it is in the UK...simply because the spots for those specialties are so limited in the UK and just getting to the senior registrar or consultant level is so subjective and arbitrary (e.g. it's common that many surgeons are forced to wait out for a few years until they are subjectively deemed "fit" by the Royal College of Surgeons to undertake a training program in subspecialty surgery, even though they have already passed the MRCS Part I exam). Not to mention that the MRCS exam itself is so impossibly tough that only about 20-30% of those who take it pass it on the first try, which makes our USMLE, and even ABS exam, pale in comparison.

If you can, my suggestion would be to try to do your training here in the US so that you can become an attending straight out of residency instead of having to wait years until a consultant position opens up in the UK.

Most who desire to come and work in the US will be required to have ECFMG certification, which includes taking the USMLEs amongst other exams.

Depending on your field, you may be required to have completed your post-graduate training IN THE US. Some surgical fields like PRS and General Surgery generally do not accept any training completed abroad and will require anyone desiring to become BC to have completed a US residency.

However, stating that - there are those who are allowed to work in the US without having completed residency/fellowship training in the US - these are generally recognized as "international experts" in their fields. Presumably you will not be one of those (no slight against your abilities meant, just the odds...)

My advise would be...

1) check the training requirements for BC to work in your field of interest in the US. While you are not required to be BC, many hospitals will not hire you if you are not at least BE.

2) if you really desire to work in the US full-time pursue a US residency right out of medical school, or even better after you become registered in the UK - that way you would be eligible to possibly work in the UK as well.

The best plan is always to train in the country in which you forsee yourself working. If its the US, do your residency here.