Brief synopsis of each DO school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

missmd123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys.

I was thinking we could kind of create a short brief synopsis of each school.. if we all contribute it shouldn't be too bad. I think it's important to note nuances for each school like which ones have a regional or in-state bias, which ones underscore a commitment to serving the underserved, which ones are PCP focused, which ones are extremely strict on LOR requirements, which ones are MCAT score focused instead of GPA, etc.

Thoughts? :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I think it's a good idea so people's search for appropriate schools are more limited and they can find out the information without too much searching. We could also provide the mission statement and other info.

Reactions: 1 user
This has been suggested numerous times during the past few months but never took hold. Hoping it finally does.

Members don't see this ad :)
3 highest yield factors of any DO school- attendance policy, cost, location.

as an intern resident with >300k debt I can't help but wonder what I paid for years 3 and 4

Reactions: 3 users

as an intern resident with >300k debt I can't help but wonder what I paid for years 3 and 4

This x infinity. The last two years of school, at least at my school, I don't know what they're doing with my 50k in tuition, but it certainly isn't for the betterment of clinical education whatsoever.

This x infinity. The last two years of school, at least at my school, I don't know what they're doing with my 50k in tuition, but it certainly isn't for the betterment of clinical education whatsoever.

Where do you go?

I can't help to wonder what i paid for years 1 and 2 as well. A few people making powerpoint presentations, tests and unnecessary amounts of OMM? Everything in medicine I know is thanks to outside resources like Pathoma, FA, UWorld, etc. The class material was just stuff I had to memorize on short term to keep moving forward.

What do you think of those recent Hawks acquisitions Kaner?

What do you think of those recent Hawks acquisitions Kaner?

I don't know how I feel about all of it yet. I hope it pays off in the long run because of the financial ****storm the Hawks put themselves into with the Kane and Toews contracts. I like the Wingels signing because he's gritty and the Hawks have been softer than Charmin Ultra Soft in the physicality department for too long. We will see how Sharp plays out, if he can get back to even half of his former self he'll be worth it because of how cheap his contract is.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know how I feel about all of it yet. I hope it pays off in the long run because of the financial ****storm the Hawks put themselves into with the Kane and Toews contracts. I like the Wingels signing because he's gritty and the Hawks have been softer than Charmin Ultra Soft in the physicality department for too long. We will see how Sharp plays out, if he can get back to even half of his former self he'll be worth it because of how cheap his contract is.
Our older defensive core was straight up EXPOSED last year, so I'm glad we made some moves on that end. Yeah I'm hoping we didn't get Sharp a year too late... Just happy I get to bring his jersey out of retirement lol. I didn't realize how young Saad is; he's younger than Panarin.

Edit: And if you told me Panarin was 13 years old, I would believe you.

Touro NY

Cost: 54k/ yr. not terrible for med school, but it's the cost of living in NYC that kills you. COA is like $90k/yr.

Attendance: not "mandatory," but you realistically gotta go. clickers (just think of it like attendance) is 10% of your grade

Location: can't beat NYC, not that you'll have much time to enjoy it it

Clinical education: DO school standard, meaning not great. More of a mixed bag, with some rotations being great, some being awful

Administration: extremely difficult

Campus: a little depressing

Student body: incredibly intelligent and inspiring

Professors: excellent teachers, some of the best I've ever had.

ATSU-KCOM

Cost: 54k/ yr. but cost of living is much lower than most places COA is like 78k

Attendance: not mandatory except for very few required lectures. Obviously labs and activities are required but you can get by without going to lecture. All lecture is recorded and placed on blackboard.

Location: Middle of nowhere MO. I personally like the small town feel but people get stir crazy here and like to venture to other cities often

Clinical education: Cannot comment from personal experience but there is a good mix of ward and preceptorship based. It seems that most people are happy with their clinical education and there are sites all over.

Administration: extremely supportive and helpful

Campus: small but has a ton of study space

Student body: supportive and family oriented

Professors: hit or miss. Some are great and I love learning from them and some are petty but overall not bad

Overall: I personally would not have chosen any other school. I am very happy with the education I am receiving and the opportunities going to such an old school opens up. After being accepted to 4 schools I would still go back and chose this one. Yes Kirksville is not the most exciting place but it is a better place to live than a large city with all those stresses compared to a small town.

Not to mention KCOM has tons of alumni in all sorts of fields. Probably due to the established nature of the program. I know a trauma/burn surgeon, CT surgeon, radiologist, anesthesiologist, and a handful of ER physicians, all from KCOM. And only half of those practice in MO. The rest are in KS, OK and NE.

So what schools offer no mandatory attendance, good location (big city preferably Northeast), and reasonable tuition?

Yeah that seems to be the only school that checks all those marks. CCOM comes close but that tuition...
Yeah, but when the people are complaining about years 3 and 4 not being worth tuition, I think a good number of CCOM students would probably disagree. We have a LOT of core rotation sites. Meeting people at the PE who said they'd only been at one small hospital during all their rotations blew my mind because I didn't repeat a single location my third year. It gives us an opportunity to become well known in a lot of the major Chicagoland hospitals.

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah that seems to be the only school that checks all those marks. CCOM comes close but that tuition...

I go to school at Pcom so I'm biased tbh

I go to school at Pcom so I'm biased tbh
Is it as awesome as it seems? Asking for gross generalization, I know but so far it's been very welcoming, organized and the prep/TISSUE program is awesome.

Is it as awesome as it seems? Asking for gross generalization, I know but so far it's been very welcoming, organized and the prep/TISSUE program is awesome.

I highly recommend tissue ! Med school is a big adjustment so that should help ease you in. But also enjoy the time you have left.

And it's alot of work but as far as DO schools go you can't do much better

I highly recommend tissue ! Med school is a big adjustment so that should help ease you in. But also enjoy the time you have left.

And it's alot of work but as far as DO schools go you can't do much better
Tissue is going well and definitely imparts the volume and pace of school. I'd like to be a part of it next year if possible. See you around city ave...

Tissue is going well and definitely imparts the volume and pace of school. I'd like to be a part of it next year if possible. See you around city ave...

Philadelphia isnt bad hope you are enjoying it. Are you doing tissue online or in person?

Yeah, but when the people are complaining about years 3 and 4 not being worth tuition, I think a good number of CCOM students would probably disagree. We have a LOT of core rotation sites. Meeting people at the PE who said they'd only been at one small hospital during all their rotations blew my mind because I didn't repeat a single location my third year. It gives us an opportunity to become well known in a lot of the major Chicagoland hospitals.

Good to hear! I'm in love with Chicago and CCOM was my top choice at first glance until I saw the tuition cost. It's nice to see someone who feels it's worth it.

Good to hear! I'm in love with Chicago and CCOM was my top choice at first glance until I saw the tuition cost. It's nice to see someone who feels it's worth it.
Yeah, I'm not familiar with other DO schools so I'm obviously not able to say which ones have good vs. bad rotations but I think that everyone focuses a lot on how the didactic years are at each institute when, in reality, your school can only prepare you so much. I'm sure there are people who score really well on boards and really poorly on boards at all the COMs. I would make sure you compare where you would be doing rotations at each institute because that will be where your letters of recommendation for residency are coming from. That will also be where you are trained for your auditions and away rotations 4th year so you want to make sure you'll have the opportunity to see a wide variety of patients so you're not walking into other sites ill-prepared. Just my opinion.

this is the best advice. anything anyone else tells you doesn't know what they are talking about.

Not to mention KCOM has tons of alumni in all sorts of fields. Probably due to the established nature of the program. I know a trauma/burn surgeon, CT surgeon, radiologist, anesthesiologist, and a handful of ER physicians, all from KCOM. And only half of those practice in MO. The rest are in KS, OK and NE.

i wouldn't factor this in choosing a school. if you interview at ACGME programs, very few programs if any know KCOM (or any DO school for that matter).

I've been looking at PCOM pretty intensely lately and was wondering what you two think about going there with the intentions of going into EM. Their match list looks pretty good for it but I'm curious as to what the opinions are of current students. Thanks!
If you do well I don't anticipate any issues. Go in with an open mind, though!

I've been looking at PCOM pretty intensely lately and was wondering what you two think about going there with the intentions of going into EM. Their match list looks pretty good for it but I'm curious as to what the opinions are of current students. Thanks!

Lots of students match into it and we do have the clac. Google it.

Last edited:
If you do well I don't anticipate any issues. Go in with an open mind, though!
I certainly have an open mind to other fields once I get to medical school and rotations, but assuming that I still want to be in that field I'd like to have the option.
Lots of student match into it and we do have the clac. Google it.
I did find that the match rate for it at PCOM is pretty high, especially for a DO school, I was just curious about how difficult it was viewed to do so or if there was a bias against specializing as seen by a current student there.

I certainly have an open mind to other fields once I get to medical school and rotations, but assuming that I still want to be in that field I'd like to have the option.

I did find that the match rate for it at PCOM is pretty high, especially for a DO school, I was just curious about how difficult it was viewed to do so or if there was a bias against specializing as seen by a current student there.

I'm.a current student and as far as DO schools go I think we are one of the better options if you desire to specialize.

I worked in the MD world for a long time and PCOM has long been recognized and its graduates are a known quantity. Awesome program, definitely apply