Bret Michaels Subarachnoid Hemorrhage

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrmandrake

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So Bret Michaels had a huge subarachnoid hemorrhage and somehow finds his way to one of the best hospitals in the US for this sort of thing (BNI). They have Spetzler there and a bunch of other guys who do these sort of surgeries blindfolded.

So does Bret get stabilized where ever he had the hemorrhage, then get flown out there to have surgery? I would think that sort of condition is some sort of an emergency that would need to be operated on right away. Am I wrong?

Does he get flown out to Arizona's airport and then airlifted to the hospital? I'm just wondering what kind of logistics are involved in something like this. I know a normal person couldn't pull this off.

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...ill-to-live-and-fully-recover-is-undeniable/1

Members don't see this ad.

Once the ABC's are taken care of it shouldn't be a problem to transfer a reasonable distance, usually by airplane or helicopter. In Portland we get a handful of subarachnoid hemorrhage patients transferred from Alaska every year (4 hour flight + ambulance time to/from the airport). Seattle probably gets many more from Alaska. We get patients from all corners of Oregon, Southern Washington, Northern California, Idaho, Montana, etc, all several hours away at a minimum. Most of the time surgery for subarachnoid hemorrhage (usually for aneurysm rupture) is urgent but not necessarily an emergency that needs to get done within minutes or even hours.

Thanks mpp.

Good to know I could get flown to BNI if something ruptured!

Members don't see this ad :)
Bret Michaels actually lives here in Scottsdale, is presumably well aware of the BNI rep and didn't require being flown anywhere. I'm sure his Bentley convertible got him there fast enough. ;)

Bret Michaels actually lives here in Scottsdale, is presumably well aware of the BNI rep and didn't require being flown anywhere. I'm sure his Bentley convertible got him there fast enough. ;)
Yup, this is true. I would fly across the globe to be treated by surgeons at Barrow Neurological Institute. They also have valet parking outside :thumbup:

Thanks mpp.

Good to know I could get flown to BNI if something ruptured!
do you have a fast bentley convertible as winged pointed out? :p

Yes, he lives there so it wasn't that far of a trek. Although I think he went there when the AANS meeting was going on in Philly, where Spetzler may have been. Doesn't matter though -- don't think he had a crani so it was probably coiled.

Yes, he lives there so it wasn't that far of a trek. Although I think he went there when the AANS meeting was going on in Philly, where Spetzler may have been. Doesn't matter though -- don't think he had a crani so it was probably coiled.

Here's the written transcript of a local news conferences describing (in layman's terms) what happened.