Breed-specific Diseases/genetic disorders/etc.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Shibas have to be the most high-maintenance, least enjoyable dogs I have ever encountered. I know a couple of people who have them. They jump fences, destroy things, are aggressive - to other dogs, AND people - have health issues, can't be trusted, and are difficult to live with. And just to mock you for wanting one because they ARE cute, they won't let you snuggle them. Because they're jerks.
I like to consider each dog as an individual and not discriminate based on breed.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
I like to consider each dog as an individual and not discriminate based on breed.

As do I. I thought I was getting myself an energetic, active, working dog. Nope. Couch potato!

Re the shiba comments: I know, I really do. That is what I meant by all the wrong reasons. Same reasons an apartment dwelling couch potato gets a border collie. (Just an example, not a condemnation of border collies or couch potatoes)
I'm not getting one, but I still looove their cuteness! The aloofness makes me want to snuggle them to pieces.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I have one most people probably don't know about!

"Bengal nose," or idiopathic nasal scaling... never would have learned about it, except I was dicking around on VIN wondering why my personal (bengal) kitty always has dark "discharge" around her nose. Lo and behold, it's a bengal thing. Ranges in severity a lot, but here's a relatively bad one with a regular nose for comparison:

bengal-nose-21347281.jpg

Apparently it can usually be pretty easily cleared up if it's actually causing problems, but usually not an issue. My Tesla just has to put up with me picking her skin every couple days. :p

I am considering them as individuals. I'm considering my individual experiences with every Shiba I know, and sharing that in the "breed-specific problems" thread. Because I don't want anyone who would think of getting one because they are cute - and they are, they're adorable - to be unaware of what they're getting themselves into. They are difficult dogs. They need a lot of training. They need constant management. They're sensitive, and can need special diets. They are prone to allergies. Kind of like how I would suggest to anyone looking at an Aussie or Border Collie (which I have) needs to consider whether it's the right breed for them, based on breed characteristics.

I am considering them as individuals. I'm considering my individual experiences with every Shiba I know, and sharing that in the "breed-specific problems" thread. Because I don't want anyone who would think of getting one because they are cute - and they are, they're adorable - to be unaware of what they're getting themselves into. They are difficult dogs. They need a lot of training. They need constant management. They're sensitive, and can need special diets. They are prone to allergies. Kind of like how I would suggest to anyone looking at an Aussie or Border Collie (which I have) needs to consider whether it's the right breed for them, based on breed characteristics.
That's all fine and good, but saying they're all jerks is not giving people information about whether the breed is right for them. Just saying...

Reactions: 1 users
Reactions: 2 users
Pretty sure all cats are jerks. Not breed specific. Mine especially, yet I love the little stinker :)

Haha, I hear ya! Just 'adopted' one of our clinic cats that has bonded to me. Woke me up by biting my leg this morning.

Not really a disease persay, but just learned today that in addition to often being cross-eyed (and some other eye issues), Siamese cats (and some of their cousins) sometimes have a genetic nystagmus... which makes me feel much better about the fact that over the past few days I thought I noticed nystagmus in my kitten on several occasions.

For my senior capstone course, I researched the MDR1 gene in herding dog breeds that causes ivermectin sensitivity. That was pretty interesting.
Is that the incomplete blood-brain barrier thing?

Is that the incomplete blood-brain barrier thing?

It isn't really an incomplete blood-brain barrier... it is the lack of a p-glycoprotein that is responsible for pumping out (keeping out) the drug from the brain. The blood-brain barrier is still intact, just missing a vital protein. The sensitivity isn't just to ivermectin though, there are a range of drugs that animals with the MDR-1 mutation are sensitive to.

It isn't really an incomplete blood-brain barrier... it is the lack of a p-glycoprotein that is responsible for pumping out (keeping out) the drug from the brain. The blood-brain barrier is still intact, just missing a vital protein. The sensitivity isn't just to ivermectin though, there are a range of drugs that animals with the MDR-1 mutation are sensitive to.

Ah. At the clinic where I used to work, there was a whippet who had this, which is considerably more rare than, say, a border collie. The vet there wasn't entirely sure how to explain. Thanks for clearing it up. Very interesting.

Members don't see this ad :)
Weimaraners with low maternal antibodies to distemper are predisposed to hypertrophic dystrophy after vaccination with HTLP modified live distemper vaccine. And according to my virology professor, if you caused this the client has a good case for malpractice, yikes.
Genetic predispositions and lawsuits, oh my.

Weimaraners with low maternal antibodies to distemper are predisposed to hypertrophic dystrophy after vaccination with HTLP modified live distemper vaccine. And according to my virology professor, if you caused this the client has a good case for malpractice, yikes.
Genetic predispositions and lawsuits, oh my.

So are we to be offering antibody tests to all Weimaraner puppies that come in for vaccination? How do they suggest you discover that the puppy has low maternal antibodies?

So are we to be offering antibody tests to all Weimaraner puppies that come in for vaccination? How do they suggest you discover that the puppy has low maternal antibodies?
Yup, he suggests either maternal antibody serology before vaccination or using the canary pox vectored vaccine, not the MLV. It's not just in Weimaraners that it can cause post vaccine infection in puppies without adequate maternal antibodies. All can get encephalitis or systemic distemper. Plus the MLV vaccines can cause progressive encephalitis in old dogs that have been regularly vaccinated. Scary, right?

Yup, he suggests either maternal antibody serology before vaccination or using the canary pox vectored vaccine, not the MLV. It's not just in Weimaraners that it can cause post vaccine infection in puppies without adequate maternal antibodies. All can get encephalitis or systemic distemper. Plus the MLV vaccines can cause progressive encephalitis in old dogs that have been regularly vaccinated. Scary, right?

Yeah, that is scary. I wonder how common that really is though, with how many dogs I have seen vaccinated, I have only seen one case of distemper and it was an unvaccinated puppy. Is this one of those 1 in every 1,000,000 vaccines type of things? Have never heard of this before, they did not tell us anything about it here.

Yeah, that is scary. I wonder how common that really is though, with how many dogs I have seen vaccinated, I have only seen one case of distemper and it was an unvaccinated puppy. Is this one of those 1 in every 1,000,000 vaccines type of things? Have never heard of this before, they did not tell us anything about it here.
Yeah, he didn't mention prevalence of occurrence. He did say that the canary pox vectored vaccine was used more now because of the risks, so maybe it's not an issue much because of that? I mean, if given the choice I would utilize the non risky vaccine if it was just as available and cost efficient.

Yeah, he didn't mention prevalence of occurrence. He did say that the canary pox vectored vaccine was used more now because of the risks, so maybe it's not an issue much because of that? I mean, if given the choice I would utilize the non risky vaccine if it was just as available and cost efficient.

The clinics I worked in always used MLV, I have never seen or heard of those things occurring. That is kind of why I ask about prevalence. I kind of doubt that any vet will get sued for malpractice by simply vaccinating puppies, I don't know, it seems like a stretch to me. I don't mean the side effects seem like a stretch (I don't doubt those), I think the malpractice bit seems like a stretch.

I would also definitely go for the vaccine that doesn't have that risk too, I just wonder a lot when people mention malpractice lawsuit, especially with something involving a vaccine and an expensive test that very few owners would ever have done.

I would also definitely go for the vaccine that doesn't have that risk too, I just wonder a lot when people mention malpractice lawsuit, especially with something involving a vaccine and an expensive test that very few owners would ever have done.
I guess the issue would be not mentioning it as a possible consequence and allowing them the choice of informed consent. Our professor isn't the over reactive type, and he is a DVM (just saying cuz sometime professors are PhD's with little practical experience) with a board certification in veterinary microbiology /virology. I have always been taught that the issue with malpractice is deviation from standard of care and having experts in that field review and testify on your actions. He is said expert, so I'm going go with what he says.

Also, just to clarify, I don't think he was saying you should get sued- just that you may get sued by litigious owners and that they would have a case.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
HYPP (hyperkalemic periodic paralysis) in Impressive bred horses.

Not to toot my own horn.... actually... screw it... I deserve it..

if you are interested in known mutations in dogs/cats causing diseases.... search here:

Canine and Feline Hereditary Disease (DNA) Testing Laboratories

it is focused on the labs providing the tests... but should include all the known mutations. If any are missing, send in the research link, and it can be added.

Oh, did I mention, I created this. :)

Reactions: 2 users