Breast is the worst: another, another case!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ray D. Ayshun

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Another case for the thread given title. 42 yo with cT1cN0 ERPR- HER2+ at 2:00 in the right breast who got NA TCHP. Lumpectomy with ypT1bN0 but with ITCs in 1 of 3 nodes. I'm wondering about RNI given medial location, lack of CR and ITCs in one of the nodes. Also, wondering about completion ax dissection vs going forward with RT. I'm up for being convinced to do as little as possible.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Another case for the thread given title. 42 yo with cT1cN0 ERPR- HER2+ at 2:00 in the right breast who got NA TCHP. Lumpectomy with ypT1bN0 but with ITCs in 1 of 3 nodes. I'm wondering about RNI given medial location, lack of CR and ITCs in one of the nodes. Also, wondering about completion ax dissection vs going forward with RT. I'm up for being convinced to do as little as possible.
This patient will be receiving Kadcyla as adjuvant treatment, something to keep in mind.

I think I would treat breast +/- axilla, not more than that.

• Wow
Members don't see this ad :)
Started a new thread to avoid confusion in the old one for these posts @Ray D. Ayshun

ITCs in a patient who got neoadjuvant chemotherapy means it was not ITC at initial diagnosis, and thus this would be RNI for me 100% of the time. Doubly so for a Her2+ patient who should have had a robust response to TCHP even if she was cN+

I'd be OK skipping dissection if no CT evidence for enlarged LNs and breast surgeon on board. You're right in no great data to support safety of this approach but we did it routinely in cN0 patients.

Treat breast, all of axilla. For an upper medial quadrant tumor, I would personally evaluate whether coverage of IMC was feasible - if could meet lung constraints (with or without DIBH) then would treat.

42yo, don't **** around.

Reactions: 5 users
Lol, I hate breasts (professionally not personally). I do concur to be aggressive in such a young patient (breast + axilla without dissection) but we all know anything goes, well hopefully in this case no omission!

Last edited:
with/without axilla dissection?
That was the point, I was trying to adress. If she gets axillary dissection and comes back clear, I would leave axilla alone. Otherwise, I would treat.

The good and bad news about breast cancer treatment is that you can justify pretty much anything you do or don't do.

Except nodes are non-negotiable. You must always treat the nodes. (not really, SDN running argument)

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I'd vote for comprehensive nodal treatment. I've been doing more DIBH on right side cases, seems to help dosimetry. If dosimetry is bad, I'd just treat high tangents. I wouldn't bat an eye if my partner at chart rounds said high tangent.

The only thing I disagree with is "regular" tangents or axillary dissection. If breast surgeon is wanting to do a dissection I would ask for an ultrasound first (or chest CT) and if all nodes clinically negative I'd push back about radiation versus dissection (yes, I know all the data isn't necessarily post chemo).

For grins and giggles look how much has changed in 12 years.

All those women in the early 21st century... so sad how their cancer care was so terrible

GdNbL4r.png

ElRiuKg.png

If this lady got surgery upfront and had positive 1-2 SLNs, you could treat just the breast as per Z11, right? Which means tangents or high tangents. But, with chemo done up front, have no idea what amount of dz there was. I don’t agree that it couldn’t have been ITCs pre-chemo. We literally have no idea. So often, the breast response does not equal axillary response.

Which means- breast only, high tangents or comprehensive 😂 😂 like all of you are saying.

Members don't see this ad :)
If this lady got surgery upfront and had positive 1-2 SLNs, you could treat just the breast as per Z11, right? Which means tangents or high tangents. But, with chemo done up front, have no idea what amount of dz there was. I don’t agree that it couldn’t have been ITCs pre-chemo. We literally have no idea. So often, the breast response does not equal axillary response.

Which means- breast only, high tangents or comprehensive 😂 😂 like all of you are saying.
Turns out Dr. Beriwal reads this and called me out .. @evilbooyaa right - ITCs post chemo portend worse outcome.

Reactions: 3 users

That depends... You can use Z11 data for that, but the population of premenopausal ER-PR- patients in Z11 was small...
Also, let's not even get into the Z11 discussion, shall we?

• Love
Turns out Dr. Beriwal reads this and called me out .. @evilbooyaa right - ITCs post chemo portend worse outcome.

Where did you think I get the majority of my practice patterns from?? That man's answers on theMednet

I do think it's hilarious (and fitting) Beriwal reads SDN.

Also, wouldn't use Z-11 given no neoadjuvant chemo. If anything something like Mamounas analysis of B-18/B-27, but that doesn't really help you with this level of nuance.

Well, if Dr beriwal says rni, which I surmise he is, then rni it is.
Mad respect for this man.

I think TheWallnerus gave an underrated opinion about where we've come with breast cancer btw. We went from treating 4+ nodes only with a SCV and MAYBE an IMN field to pontificating over comprehensive RNI for ITCs (this is an oversimplification of the topic at hand).

Some would treat RNI in a patient like this purely on the basis of having a central/medial tumor. Then you have the fudge factors (presumably high grade, young age, no mention of LVSI, ER-) that could also push you towards RNI. Then you have the things you don't know what to do about (residual ITCs). Residual ITCs post neoadjuvant chemo were not an exclusion criteria of B51 so whoever designed that trial wasn't sure what to do either so you're in good company.

I think the gestalt for a patient like this is that they are young with aggressive disease and you are more than justified in treating them aggressively. Pre-chemo, either they were cN+ and someone missed it, pN1 in which case SoC is RNI, or they were pN1mi/pN1(i+) pre-chemo and had a poor response to chemo. In a young patient with aggressive disease, any of the above situations would push me to treat, but I'm also amazed at the mental acrobatics we go through in breast to probably only gain a smidge of PFS...

I would not do an ALNDx in this patient btw.

I think TheWallnerus gave an underrated opinion about where we've come with breast cancer btw. We went from treating 4+ nodes only with a SCV and MAYBE an IMN field to pontificating over comprehensive RNI for ITCs (this is an oversimplification of the topic at hand).

...I'm also amazed at the mental acrobatics we go through in breast to probably only gain a smidge of PFS...
Certainly a "modern" fascination with RNI. The overall survival in breast cancer is going up, up, up. This is not due to the advent of irradiating much, much, much huger volumes of normal female tissue than we did ~10 years ago.

The volume of a single human breast cancer tumor cell is about a trillionth of a liter. Seeing just one under a microscope might cause a rad onc to irradiate ~1.5 liters of seemingly normal tissue he otherwise wouldn't have to chase down the ITCs' "friends"... knowing that addressing those friends won't influence overall survival, and ignoring friends elsewhere. That's a 1.5 trillion times factor of influence these nodal ITCs have (jk). Impressive.

treat comprehensively. Node positive after NA chemo indicates incomplete response

Reactions: 1 users
this is a tangent, but apropos of the title, is anyone having the experience, even with non-oncologically trained surgeons, that pmrt is definitely not recommended when cN1 goes to ypN0 as if NSABP B51 was positive? The nuances are many in breast, hence the title, but are many surgeons out there flat out saying patients with a negative axilla after chemo don't need PMRT ever?

Not for me. All sub specialty trained referrers. They send them to us to discuss. We had B-51 open for a while. Who knows what that will show.

Mamounas would suggest low LRR with good response to chemo, and that was a lower risk population in general. The German pooled analysis of higher risk women would suggest that is not the case. Post-Mastectomy Radiotherapy After Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy in Breast Cancer: A Pooled Retrospective Analysis of Three Prospective Randomized Trials - PubMed

Probably at the end of the day RT for cN1 -> ypN0 depends on a lot more than just that, but who knows. something something breast is the worst. But yeah, I would argue surgeons should be sending for at least an informed opinion

this is a tangent, but apropos of the title, is anyone having the experience, even with non-oncologically trained surgeons, that pmrt is definitely not recommended when cN1 goes to ypN0 as if NSABP B51 was positive? The nuances are many in breast, hence the title, but are many surgeons out there flat out saying patients with a negative axilla after chemo don't need PMRT ever?
Yes, I have even gotten push back from a breast surgeon and med oncs.

Well here's the NCCN guidelines
1639493470256.png

My impression is the surgeons are conflating p staging with yp staging. However, one could argue the above is vague enough to do whatever. At the same time, I'd be worried as a surgeon who says no RT as if it's SOC. Has nobody been sued for that?

Have not seen surgeons push for no PMRT routinely in cN1 --> ypN0 patients. If a patient wants to meet with a RO and discuss Mamounas data and consider omitting based on THAT, then OK.

Similar to omission of RT in stage I ER+ patients over age 65-70, it's a nuanced discussion, but should certainly involve referral and discussion with a Radiation Oncologist. Any place not routinely doing that is doing it wrong, IMO.

I used to enroll in B-51.
Keep in mind the standard of care arm on that trial is YES radiation.

I too review the B18/B27 data with patients, but there aren't huge numbers of patients in the pCR groups.

I *think* for HER2 path CR patients B-51 will show no benefit to XRT. I suspect we'll eventually be omitting radiation for a huge chunk of these kinds of patients. I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but these patients need a rad onc consult. It's not appropriate to just say "you don't need radiation."

As a group, with all the surgeons, MedOncs, and RadOnc in my community: cN1 --> ypN0 will buy you PMRT until B51 results (and is positive). While we've discussed the nuances of this in tumor board etc, I fortunately haven't encountered anyone in my referral chain making this statement (yet).

Started a new thread to avoid confusion in the old one for these posts @Ray D. Ayshun

ITCs in a patient who got neoadjuvant chemotherapy means it was not ITC at initial diagnosis, and thus this would be RNI for me 100% of the time. Doubly so for a Her2+ patient who should have had a robust response to TCHP even if she was cN+

I'd be OK skipping dissection if no CT evidence for enlarged LNs and breast surgeon on board. You're right in no great data to support safety of this approach but we did it routinely in cN0 patients.

Treat breast, all of axilla. For an upper medial quadrant tumor, I would personally evaluate whether coverage of IMC was feasible - if could meet lung constraints (with or without DIBH) then would treat.

42yo, don't **** around.
Or did she really have ITC and this is a reflection of poor response to nact?

The problem with breast is that the trials have spanned multiple decades with substantial changes in treatment, management, and risk stratification. How to apply all of these things in an evidence based manner and come to any consensus is impossible. I hope that one day we have the oncotyperx to give us one score for rt vs no rt.

• Love
The problem with breast is that the trials have spanned multiple decades with substantial changes in treatment, management, and risk stratification. How to apply all of these things in an evidence based manner and come to any consensus is impossible. I hope that one day we have the oncotyperx to give us one score for rt vs no rt.
Just FLASH the whole breast and get on with it. Hell, FLASH both breasts. Wouldn’t that be wild

• Haha
  • Love
I couldn't agree more. It's maddening.

Well, let me walk that back a bit. The overlap and confounding of trial results as a function of time is challenging. What's maddening is when some of the senior academicians pick hills to die on and consider certain treatment pathways and decisions as infallible gospel.

THAT'S maddening.

Radiation for almost any cancer via local or locoregional RT will improve DFS. There was even a measurable (super small) DFS benefit to PMRT in T1N0 breast cancer in the EBCTCGs eg. If you don’t have thousands of patients, and look in a more modern era, the DFS benefit will be there but be statistically insignificant (DEFINE_ME). If you go back a quarter century and enroll thousands of patients, the benefit becomes statistically significant (https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejmoa1415369). OS benefits of ENI are never robustly shown. The med oncs seem to be having a discussion about “Should we chase DFS benefit without OS benefit.” This doesn’t seem to bother rad oncs re ENI in breast? These large studies with thousands of patients also recorded toxicity outcomes, most of which were also statistically significantly different.

To madchemist point, the staging, workup, and systemic treatment of breast cancer is pretty different today than when MA.20 eg started accruing last century.

Or did she really have ITC and this is a reflection of poor response to nact?

Impossible to know. From my very limited understanding, ITC is considered N0 because it's basically considered surgical/procedure artifact, not true marker of spread (such as N1mi). We quantify it and have cut-offs because we have to.

Would have to be a VERY poor response to be cN0(i+), assuming that was actually noteable, to ypN0(i+)

so....what sorts of clinical situations would people consider re-RT in? It was never something I did in training, but I know it comes up more often now so trying to get a sense of what others deem appropriate for the toxicity.

so....what sorts of clinical situations would people consider re-RT in? It was never something I did in training, but I know it comes up more often now so trying to get a sense of what others deem appropriate for the toxicity.
It doesn't take much for me to offer re-irradiation of the breast/chest wall especially if there's a couple years in between. Lot's of (low-quality) data out there.

It doesn't take much for me to offer re-irradiation of the breast/chest wall especially if there's a couple years in between. Lot's of (low-quality) data out there.
yes, there were many years. I feel pretty good about offering it in a case that was discussed recently, but will be the first time I re-RT if the patient ends up coming to me.

For chest wall/breast only, I wouldn't really have much qualms about re-RTing with definitive post-operative intent with somewhere likely between a 2-5 year minimum since previous course of RT. It will be more toxic but will be worthwhile, IMO.

Re-RT to anything near the brachial plexus if doing say RNI on both courses... that'll make me a bit more worried.

You could consider the recent ASCO guideline on managing the axilla:
Management of the Axilla in Early-Stage Breast Cancer: Ontario Health (Cancer Care Ontario) and ASCO Guideline - PubMed
1639719854194.png

perfect, thanks. I neglected to mention that in my particular patient, she was cT3N1 at presentation, but I was mostly curious about the general experience of rad oncs out there with respect to surgeons advising patients as if B-51 showed no benefit to RNI when ypN0.

Also, in-line with the breast is the worst theme, just saw this on the red journal home page, which comes as a shock to noone here

pTpLQeC.png

I agree with 5 fx breast RT instead of anti-estrogen therapy so much. But OTOH, what is weird and unexpected (to me) is that ~40% of all older women get RT alone already? And only ~10% get hormone therapy alone?? And the differences don't vary by age as much as one might expect. Also hidden in this data is the fact that we know when someone gets RT that the RT compliance rate is ~100%, however when someone is "taking" hormone therapy (for 5 years) compliance rates are less than 100%. Finally, this article will do exactly zero to change any practice pattern anywhere.

YY3vMdX.png

pTpLQeC.png

I agree with 5 fx breast RT instead of anti-estrogen therapy so much. But OTOH, what is weird and unexpected (to me) is that ~40% of all older women get RT alone already? And only ~10% get hormone therapy alone?? And the differences don't vary by age as much as one might expect. Also hidden in this data is the fact that we know when someone gets RT that the RT compliance rate is ~100%, however when someone is "taking" hormone therapy (for 5 years) compliance rates are less than 100%. Finally, this article will do exactly zero to change any practice pattern anywhere.

YY3vMdX.png
Definitely have a handful of pts who refuse endocrine therapy upfront that end up getting sent to me for RT. It really brings home the point to me they many of these cooperative group rad onc PIs have no clue about patient preferences and concerns in the real world when they try to create these RT omission trials in favor of endocrine therapy

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
What you’re missing is Endocrine therapy has no side effects, or logistical issues, or cost though, because it’s just a pill.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Definitely have a handful of pts who refuse endocrine therapy upfront that end up getting sent to me for RT. It really brings home the point to me they many of these cooperative group rad onc PIs have no clue about patient preferences and concerns in the real world when they try to create these RT omission trials in favor of endocrine therapy
The way cancer care in my system is set up, I would say the vast majority of patients receiving lumpectomy in my catchment area come to me for consult. It is surprising to me how many women have refused endocrine therapy, are willing to talk to MedOnc but haven't decided if they'll do it, or are planning to "try it out" but aren't sure if they'll continue it for 5 years.

The way the breast XRT trials are designed and talked about, you would assume that radiation was the "hard part"...I don't think that's true. Perhaps 25 years ago, with 6 weeks of treatment and all the skin reactions I hear about, but not now.

The way cancer care in my system is set up, I would say the vast majority of patients receiving lumpectomy in my catchment area come to me for consult. It is surprising to me how many women have refused endocrine therapy, are willing to talk to MedOnc but haven't decided if they'll do it, or are planning to "try it out" but aren't sure if they'll continue it for 5 years.

The way the breast XRT trials are designed and talked about, you would assume that radiation was the "hard part"...I don't think that's true. Perhaps 25 years ago, with 6 weeks of treatment and all the skin reactions I hear about, but not now.
A few of the pts i end up treating refuse to even see a MO. Definitely was eye opening compared to how i saw things in residency

I frequently see that 65-70yr+ PRIME/CALGB candidate who end up doing RT because they're not sure if they're going to make it 5 years on AI.

They usually end up with 5Fx PBI and have zero side effects, so can't say I blame them.

I think having some quality of evidence (even if SEER) to suggest HT may not be mandatory is not unreasonable, at least until EUROPA publishes their data.

Not for me. All sub specialty trained referrers. They send them to us to discuss. We had B-51 open for a while. Who knows what that will show.
I *think* for HER2 path CR patients B-51 will show no benefit to XRT.
I scrolled through the posts here. Didn't see any mentions as to this. Somewhat notable/remarkable that w/ 2y median (1-55 mos) followup, not a single cN+/ypN0 patient... with or without RNI... had regional nodal failure. It certainly makes a long row to hoe for PMRT by itself.

The Impact of Regional Nodal Irradiation on the Outcomes After Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy in Node Positive Breast Cancer Patients With ypN0: Interim Analysis of a Prospective Randomized Trial

Last edited:
Returning to my breast dumpster. Saw this patient. Very healthy 65 yo with recurrent/metastatic hormone receptor positive lobular carcinoma involving mediastinal nodes and multiple bones. Referred to me for pain in the right temporal bone with this imaging:
1646053372384.png

CSF negative. If I'm ultimately forced to treat this, preference would be IMRT, though a palliative dose. Wondering others thoughts, and what the trigger would be to treat as she has yet to start systemic therapy.

Returning to my breast dumpster. Saw this patient. Very healthy 65 yo with recurrent/metastatic hormone receptor positive lobular carcinoma involving mediastinal nodes and multiple bones. Referred to me for pain in the right temporal bone with this imaging:
View attachment 351003
CSF negative. If I'm ultimately forced to treat this, preference would be IMRT, though a palliative dose. Wondering others thoughts, and what the trigger would be to treat as she has yet to start systemic therapy.
Would def use IMRT, although my bet is a static field "slightly askew mohawk" static field arrangement of 7-9 beams will be better than a coplanar VMAT. Sometimes you can't aim an arc in the tumor plane (this tumor seems planar in shape but again its plane is "askew mohawk") without also rotating the couch simultaneously as the gantry moves. Who knows when we will get that function, but it would be nice. I would do 37.5/15 to 50/20. You should get <20% of dose to optic n/retina and a very good brain DVH. This is one of those mets that will need to be "cured" or else cause the patient really bad QOL down the road.

Would def use IMRT, although my bet is a static field "slightly askew mohawk" static field arrangement of 7-9 beams will be better than a coplanar VMAT. Sometimes you can't aim an arc in the tumor plane (this tumor seems planar in shape but again its plane is "askew mohawk") without also rotating the couch simultaneously as the gantry moves. Who knows when we will get that function, but it would be nice. I would do 37.5/15 to 50/20. You should get <20% of dose to optic n/retina and a very good brain DVH. This is one of those mets that will need to be "cured" or else cause the patient really bad QOL down the road.
wait and see what systemic therapy does, or just go ahead and start?