Breast APBI - SBRT or not? Discussion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Let me challenge your premises...

When I do 5 fraction breast, I do it IMPORT-LOW (intensity modulated partial organ RT) style with 2-field opposed mini-tangents ("The results of FAST-Forward were planned to be taken together with those of IMPORT LOW, which had the same control regimen of 40 Gy in 15 fractions to the whole breast and, therefore, are applicable to partial-breast radiotherapy"). To me, two-field (IMRT) tangents, just because the MUs per tangent are higher, are not SBRT. Will I have to go multi-field to "bump up" into $BRT? Will 8 Gy/1 fx bone met become SBRT?

Also, again, EBM-wise, not a single PBI trial has defined PBI as SBRT, just IMRT.

Tough hill to climb. I'm swayable though.
I agree with evilbooya. Two field tangents probably isnt conformal enough to be called SBRT. I use VMAT it works great.

I wouldnt call 8Gy/1 fraction SBRT. SBRT should have at least a moderate BED. I dont think anything with a BED less than 25 Gy in 5 fractions should be considered SBRT.

I dont know how tough a hill it will be to climb. I guess we will see. Maybe @Rad Onc SK can help us out?

Members don't see this ad.

FWIW, I ran a back-of-envelope simulation for Medicare global payment rate for 5-fx breast IMRT vs SBRT: (EDIT... other regimens added)

IMRT 5fx: $5663.24

IMRT 5fx "adaptive": $14989.00

SBRT 5fx: $8590.76*

IMRT 15fx: $11066.2

3D 15fx: $7271.37

3D 33fx: $14588.38

A daily IG-IMRT nets about $500, a daily SBRT about $1000; these are just national payment rates and a few localities can vary substantially.

So @radiation123 maybe the real thing to do is just charging daily IMRT plans. Which actually reimburse more than a SBRT fraction. The provisions against a daily IMRT plan (inchoate, or not any?) are even probably more debatable versus the provisions for what is/isn't SBRT?

*77301 for planning
All IMRT assumes daily 77014
Interesting idea. However, changing from non adaptive 5 fractions IMRT breast to 5 fraction SBRT breast moves the reimbursement from cheaper than a standard regimen to close to a standard regime. I don't think that insurances/medicare would push back much against this as they would not lose much money if it was widely adopted. Changing from non adaptive 5 fractions IMRT breast to adaptive 5 fraction IMRT breast moves the reimbursement from cheap to expensive. If it was widely adopted you would likely get a lot of push back from medicare/insurance.

there is no actual rule about doctor being present for sbrt ...
Would love to be proved wrong, but I believe medicare requires "personal supervision" for sbrt...meaning u need to be at treatment console. Our group debated this during covid but on review of medicare billing rules we came to the conclusion sbrt required more than "direct supervision" and hence the change to general supervision in hospitals and virtual supervision in freestanding for procedures previously requiring direct supervision did not apply to sbrt.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Would love to be proved wrong, but I believe medicare requires "personal supervision" for sbrt...meaning u need to be at treatment console. Our group debated this during covid but on review of medicare billing rules we came to the conclusion sbrt required more than "direct supervision" and hence the change to general supervision in hospitals and virtual supervision in freestanding for procedures previously requiring direct supervision did not apply to sbrt.
I think from a safety or quality perspective, one should be there. I have not recently looked at it, but how I am remember it - the wording didn’t break it down by modality (2020). Would have to look again, you may be right. But I feel like it wasn’t specific

Google the Space Coast supervision whistleblower case that was dismissed with prejudice

Google the Space Coast supervision whistleblower case that was dismissed with prejudice
I have had this argument as well. There is no such language in cms as far as I could tell regarding personal supervision. In fact I have supervised remotely. A doc was on site but I wanted to personally look at the cbct prior to treatment. With the eventual move to remote presence this will come up again.

If you treat with a 5 fractions IMRT plan you instead of a 5 fraction SBRT plan you will decrease reimbursement. A decreased reimbursement means a higher chance of practices/centers closing or not hiring additional staff. This directly effects the employement situation
That’s the ideal outcome for us. In reality, when RadOnc Dept revenues are stabilizing, admins just award themselves bonuses and throw money away in form of corrupt capital spending (i.e. purchases involving kickbacks). I’ve seen it personally over and over again.

Employed RadOnc attendings will see very little of IMRT —> SBRT upbill, if any at all.

Reactions: 1 user
That’s the ideal outcome for us. In reality, when RadOnc Dept revenues are stabilizing, admins just award themselves bonuses and throw money away in form of corrupt capital spending (i.e. purchases involving kickbacks). I’ve seen it personally over and over again.

Employed RadOnc attendings will see very little of IMRT —> SBRT upbill, if any at all.
Employed docs will see a negative.

I have had this argument as well. There is no such language in cms as far as I could tell regarding personal supervision. In fact I have supervised remotely. A doc was on site but I wanted to personally look at the cbct prior to treatment. With the eventual move to remote presence this will come up again.
CMS is looking to extend tele even now. As a good pattern of practice, we are going to the machine to sign off on the igrt prior to each stereo fraction. Medicolegally, i see no reason why this couldn't be done completely tele in real time with the doc pulling up offline review at another location

If you treat with a 5 fractions IMRT plan you instead of a 5 fraction SBRT plan you will decrease reimbursement. A decreased reimbursement means a higher chance of practices/centers closing or not hiring additional staff. This directly effects the employement situation

Employed docs will see a negative.
Well, hopefully not a paycut.

And patient will see out of pocket costs rising from IMRT—>SBRT, decreasing satisfaction. We are supposed to look after patients, not admins (although this pledge feels like it was made centuries ago for me)

Well, hopefully not a paycut.

And patient will see out of pocket costs rising from IMRT—>SBRT, decreasing satisfaction. We are supposed to look after patients, not admins (although this pledge feels like it was made centuries ago for me)
we will take a paycut because if we halve the patients on beam when breast and prostate go to 5 and palliation to one, a lot of radoncs will be added to the job market (and there will be less hiring) putting downward pressure on salaries.

Actually looking again, all the CPT codes associated with SBRT carry a 9 ("supervision does not apply"). Could have sworn at some point we saw a 2 requiring personal supervision for sbrt treatment delivery, but I don't see it now.

Reactions: 3 users
Actually looking again, all the CPT codes associated with SBRT carry a 9 ("supervision does not apply"). Could have sworn at some point we saw a 2 requiring personal supervision for sbrt treatment delivery, but I don't see it now.
Yeah, I think on our last review we didn’t see it written, but in house policy is anything 5 Gy or higher we are on site. Safety? Idk. But that’s what we came up with.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, I think on our last review we didn’t see it written, but in house policy is anything 5 Gy or higher we are on site. Safety? Idk. But that’s what we came up with.
Same. Silly for 5.2 x 5 breast and 5 x 5 3D rectum though.

Not on technical but professional RVUs are higher for 5Fx SBRT than IMRT. So if you get paid on RVUs then yeah it's beneficial to you, and your technical overlords as well.