Breaking into the NYC Job market

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NotFrankUnderwood

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
Due to circumstances outside of my control, it looks like I'll be leaving my VHCOL west coast city close to where I graduated from residency to the most expensive city in the world - NYC.

Given that I went to school on the west coast - I don't have much in the way of connections (just 2 who are academic), so I've been looking at offers and approaching recruiters. Some of these listings are atrocious (<400k for call taking?!?!), and I refuse to take a pay cut to move to a more expensive city (not in a rush to move but plan to). Would ideally like to be within the burroughs (or northern NJ), and be part-time due to some non clinical interests I'm pursuing. I'm also ok with per diem as long as it's pretty close to 300$/hr.

Does anyone have any leads or suggestions as to how to navigate this? I feel like my ask is not ridiculous, and have heard of people getting similar gigs.

I went to a "top"west coast residency and am board certified if that matters at all.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,
Due to circumstances outside of my control, it looks like I'll be leaving my VHCOL west coast city close to where I graduated from residency to the most expensive city in the world - NYC.

Given that I went to school on the west coast - I don't have much in the way of connections (just 2 who are academic), so I've been looking at offers and approaching recruiters. Some of these listings are atrocious (<400k for call taking?!?!), and I refuse to take a pay cut to move to a more expensive city (not in a rush to move but plan to). Would ideally like to be within the burroughs (or northern NJ), and be part-time due to some non clinical interests I'm pursuing. I'm also ok with per diem as long as it's pretty close to 300$/hr.

Does anyone have any leads or suggestions as to how to navigate this? I feel like my ask is not ridiculous, and have heard of people getting similar gigs.

I went to a "top"west coast residency and am board certified if that matters at all.
nyc pay sucks. plenty of hiring but its going to be low pay and more hours compared to other places in the country.
i think you will end up having to give up something

you can locum for 300 a hr in nyc.

are you fellowship trained?

maybe contact HSS to see if they are hiring. well paid and works a lot

Reactions: 1 user
Napa positions in outer boroughs and Long Island are paying around 500k for call taking positions with the ability to earn more. You’ll be working alot like 65+ hours a week. Manhattan jobs pay less. NYU is decent for the hours as they just raised the base quite a bit. Just look on gasworks. Almost every institution is short right now and salaries have gone up recently so it’s not the worst time to be looking in nyc. The whole “the best groups don’t advertise” mantra is not really true here as there are very few private practice groups left. It’s all academic, AMCs or hospital employed. There are a couple boutique practices that contract with plastic surgery offices in Manhattan if you’re looking for lifestyle.

Again, almost every place advertises on gasworks or uses a recruiter who does, so you’re not really missing anything if you decide to use the website as a starting point. It’s also negotiable. Again there is a high demand due to lots of people having left nyc during the pandemic so you could always try to negotiate. You have leverage now.

And yes you can locum. Been considering it myself.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Napa positions in outer boroughs and Long Island are paying around 500k for call taking positions with the ability to earn more. You’ll be working alot like 65+ hours a week. Manhattan jobs pay less. NYU is decent for the hours as they just raised the base quite a bit. Just look on gasworks. Almost every institution is short right now and salaries have gone up recently so it’s not the worst time to be looking in nyc. The whole “the best groups don’t advertise” mantra is not really true here as there are very few private practice groups left. It’s all academic, AMCs or hospital employed. There are a couple boutique practices that contract with plastic surgery offices in Manhattan if you’re looking for lifestyle.

Again, almost every place advertises on gasworks or uses a recruiter who does, so you’re not really missing anything if you decide to use the website as a starting point. It’s also negotiable. Again there is a high demand due to lots of people having left nyc during the pandemic so you could always try to negotiate. You have leverage now.

And yes you can locum. Been considering it myself.
I couldn't negotiate much.

Hey all,

set up your own LLC and pimp yourself out to the local hospitals..

2 days a week here, 2 days a week there, 10 hour days - thats what I would do if my current situation fell through

near me, CT rate is not 300 per hour more like 250 (non-agency)

If you go through an agency sure you can get 300 in some horrific places but your not keeping that 300..

Reactions: 1 users
Check out my job post if you are looking for job in nyc or feel free to pm me. We are open to part time people as well. Looking for people because of retiring partners

Last edited:
set up your own LLC and pimp yourself out to the local hospitals..

2 days a week here, 2 days a week there, 10 hour days - thats what I would do if my current situation fell through

near me, CT rate is not 300 per hour more like 250 (non-agency)

If you go through an agency sure you can get 300 in some horrific places but your not keeping that 300..
CT rate? Does that mean cardiac? Or Connecticut?

We are looking for both partnership and non partnership track ( both full time and part time ) anesthesiologists to join our private practice group in Manhattan due to our older colleagues wanting to go part time or retire. Highlights of this opportunity include:

-3 year partnership tract. Payment is blended rvus. 1st year you earn 75% of your billed RVUs. you can expect to earn 450-550k first year depending on vacation. 2nd and 3rd year you earn 80 percent of your rvus. As a partner you get voting rights and profit sharing of Endo centers and main hospital. Payment is k1.
-weekday and weekend call shared equally between partners and non-partners. right now it is about 1:22. same frequency for late call. call frequency will be less if we are able to hire more people. call is very light since we don't do OB or trauma. It is in-house call. The CRNA responds to airways and you will assist if they need help. I usually sleep after 9-11 pm. I haven’t helped with a single airway since I started working there. For call and 2nd call you get units upfront for call as well the units you bill.
-you will do your own cases >90 percent of the time
-case mix includes urology, general surgery, ortho, ent, vascular, and endoscopy. No trauma, cardiac, thoracic, neuro, and OB. Very few peds
- chair makes the schedule to ensure everybody has fair schedule. Chair is mostly non-clinical. Pay for everybody is transparent in the group as we keep an open book of salary that is updated monthly.
-vacation is unpaid since its eat what you kill but you can take up to 12 weeks schedule permitting
-we rotate at 3 ambulatory endoscopy centers, one main hospital, and 2 ambulatory surgical centers
-malpractice paid but not health insurance. 401 k plan as available. Also you are eligible for a cash balance plan after 2 years.
- for full disclosure I’m about 11 months in of my first year partnership track.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I am in a small-med size community hospital in Brooklyn just minutes from Lower Manhattan.
We have minimal weekday call requirements (3 or less), 8 weeks vacations, and decent compensations.

Most days, we get out somewhere between 1-4pm. The late attending comes in at around 10am to noon. so our hours are on average less than 50 hours a week.

We cover CRNAs and residents, so hardy ever have to sit “on the stool”, except for breaks.

DM me if interested in finding out more. We are looking for one more FT attending.

We are looking for both partnership and non partnership track ( both full time and part time ) anesthesiologists to join our private practice group in Manhattan due to our older colleagues wanting to go part time or retire. Highlights of this opportunity include:

-3 year partnership tract. Payment is blended rvus. 1st year you earn 75% of your billed RVUs. you can expect to earn 450-550k first year depending on vacation. 2nd and 3rd year you earn 80 percent of your rvus. As a partner you get voting rights and profit sharing of Endo centers and main hospital. Payment is k1.
-weekday and weekend call shared equally between partners and non-partners. right now it is about 1:22. same frequency for late call. call frequency will be less if we are able to hire more people. call is very light since we don't do OB or trauma. It is in-house call. The CRNA responds to airways and you will assist if they need help. I usually sleep after 9-11 pm. I haven’t helped with a single airway since I started working there. For call and 2nd call you get units upfront for call as well the units you bill.
-you will do your own cases >90 percent of the time
-case mix includes urology, general surgery, ortho, ent, vascular, and endoscopy. No trauma, cardiac, thoracic, neuro, and OB. Very few peds
- chair makes the schedule to ensure everybody has fair schedule. Chair is mostly non-clinical. Pay for everybody is transparent in the group as we keep an open book of salary that is updated monthly.
-vacation is unpaid since its eat what you kill but you can take up to 12 weeks schedule permitting
-we rotate at 3 ambulatory endoscopy centers, one main hospital, and 2 ambulatory surgical centers
-malpractice paid but not health insurance. 401 k plan as available. Also you are eligible for a cash balance plan after 2 years.
- for full disclosure I’m about 11 months in of my first year partnership track.

are you on track to make 500k first year? 75% of rvu. that means at 100% you are looking at avg of 660k. i assume partner gets 100% RVU? And if you get profit sharing from endo center thats even more? Am i understanding that. if you have open book, you should be able to see how much partners make? are they getting close to 1M or something? that profit sharing from endo center is confusing. are they talking about like 1000$ lol or way more. range can be huge

How many more spots do you have?

Also have you done your taxes yet? are you getting a lot of write offs? and since its a K1, what do you actually co own in the group? I imagine you are liable if group gets sued too?

Also confused about your chair who is non clinical... how is the chair paid? since partner gets voting rights, how is a partner fired? do partner vote or does chair decide? what decisions does chair make other than scheduling if its a partnership??? what is chair doing other than scheduling since that shouldnt take that long... chair is essentially generating no RVU but gets paid.. partner vote on chairs salary?

Last edited:
I am in a small-med size community hospital in Brooklyn just minutes from Lower Manhattan.
We have minimal weekday call requirements (3 or less), 8 weeks vacations, and decent compensations.

Most days, we get out somewhere between 1-4pm. The late attending comes in at around 10am to noon. so our hours are on average less than 50 hours a week.

We cover CRNAs and residents, so hardy ever have to sit “on the stool”, except for breaks.

DM me if interested in finding out more. We are looking for one more FT attending.
3 weekday call is overnight or late call?? if its overnight, wouldnt say thats minimal...
if you get out at 1-4pm, should be around 40 hrs? 7-3 would daily would already be 40 a week?

any CME days or is that included in 8 weeks. Any CME funding?

3 weekday call is overnight or late call?? if its overnight, wouldnt say thats minimal...
if you get out at 1-4pm, should be around 40 hrs? 7-3 would daily would already be 40 a week?

any CME days or is that included in 8 weeks. Any CME funding?
Accounting for the overnight call hours would increase total hours for the week.

8 weeks total. No additional CME days.

are you on track to make 500k first year? 75% of rvu. that means at 100% you are looking at avg of 660k. i assume partner gets 100% RVU? And if you get profit sharing from endo center thats even more? Am i understanding that. if you have open book, you should be able to see how much partners make? are they getting close to 1M or something? that profit sharing from endo center is confusing. are they talking about like 1000$ lol or way more. range can be huge

How many more spots do you have?

Also have you done your taxes yet? are you getting a lot of write offs?

Also confused about your chair who is non clinical... how is the chair paid? since partner gets voting rights, how is a partner fired? do partner vote or does chair decide? what decisions does chair make other than scheduling if its a partnership??? what is chair doing other than scheduling since that shouldnt take that long... chair is essentially generating no RVU but gets paid.. partner vote on chairs salary?

Yes I am on track for 500k. Partners make 100 percent of rvus plus or minus 800k. A few make significantly more close to 7 figures but work a lot more and take very low vacation. Not sure how much the profit sharing of the Endo centers is going to be. It’s a new thing.

Not sure how many spots we are hiring but looking for people.

Will get k1 for this year sometime next week. A lot of write offs with k1. We also do ptet along with usual write offs for more savings.

Chair is non clinical. Covers rooms in emergencies. Holds the airway beeper during the day and runs the board along with attending meetings. He will also help out if you have a tough case or give you a break if you are in a long room. The hospital pays for most of his salary. He will be able to answer your other questions. Not sure about firing. No one has left since I joined.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Yes I am on track for 500k. Partners make 100 percent of rvus plus or minus 800k. A few make significantly more but work a lot more and take very low vacation. Not sure how much the profit sharing of the Endo centers is going to be. It’s a new thing.

Not sure how many spots we are hiring but looking for people.

Will get k1 for this year sometime next week. A lot of write offs with k1. We also do ptet along with usual write offs for more savings.

Chair is non clinical. Covers rooms in emergencies. Holds the airway beeper during the day and runs the board along with attending meetings. He will also help out if you have a tough case or give you a break if you are in a long room. The hospital pays for most of his salary. He will be able to answer your other questions. Not sure about firing. No one has left since I joined.
nice! i imagine the profit sharing with endo center is a 2 way street. if endo center business is down, you may have cost split too i imagine. sounds not bad for manhattan

how much vacation/day off have you taken? any weekends work?

since 3 year partnership and then make partner for 100%. it sounds like the best way to do it if you want to take vacation is in the first 3 years, when you are rewarded 75-80% for your time.