Breaking into the AI/ML research field

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cybermed2424

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I've been developing an interest in some of the research surrounding AI within radiology and am wondering what baseline skills I should have prior to contacting research groups to start working with? Should I try to just take some courses in python and spend 6 months - 1 year teaching myself? Will groups be open to individuals with no programming experience - or would they immediately turn me away? Thanks all.

Members don't see this ad.

If you’re going in from the radiology side I don’t think there’s any point to knowing the coding at all. Just reviewing literature on it to get an understanding of neural networks and study designs for testing them is probably good enough. AI groups want from radiology one thing - to “teach” the algorithm with grant root.

if your coming in from the programming side, they want a phD usually

If you’re going in from the radiology side I don’t think there’s any point to knowing the coding at all. Just reviewing literature on it to get an understanding of neural networks and study designs for testing them is probably good enough. AI groups want from radiology one thing - to “teach” the algorithm with grant root.

if your coming in from the programming side, they want a phD usually
A PhD is not required.