Bracing for vertebral compression fracture

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kstarm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Our clinic is currently working on creating a guideline for compression fracture management. Currently there is a plan to make bracing part of that management plan. Our neurosurgeons routinely requests this as well. Up-to-date says that bracing really does not do anything, citing a number of small studies without efficacy, and that they do not routinely use it. Are people here on the board still bracing for their compression fractures patients?

Members don't see this ad.

Of course it’s part of the ancillary revenue stream 😜

Reactions: 2 users
sometimes. some folks love it. LOLs who are already hunched dont love it b/c it is uncomfortable and doesnt fit well. depends on a lot of factors.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Would be interested to see what people are bracing for, if they do at all.

I offer brace for all fractures. Some people can’t tolerate it depending on their body habitats or if they have a urostomy or colostomy. I use an outside vendor and make no profit. Occasionally, my nurses get free lunch. Bracing can help prevent worsening of a fracture while we’re awaiting kyphoplasty.

Reactions: 1 users
Lumbar corset for lumbar fracture, TLSO sleeq for higher fractures. Told to wear only for comfort and not to get it if uncomfortable.

Reactions: 1 users