BPT from India

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baseball550

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, My wife will be receiving her Bachelors in Physical Therapy (BPT) degree later this year. She will be coming to US at the end of the year on green card. So, she will NOT be an international student. We will be living in Chicago area. And I am hoping to have her continue studies in Northwestern University or University of Illinois, Chicago.

I have few questions.
1) Can she get admission into either of one of the DPT programs using her BPT degree from India?
2) Does she need to take both TOEFL and GRE exams? Her friends in India say that she doesn't need either. But I have a feeling that she needs both.
3) I also notice on both school's website, that they need some clinical experiences approved by US physical therapists. How do you get that before you apply if you never been to US before?
4) Can she take the license exam without getting her DPT or she needs that degree first?

Sorry, this is my first post. And I am very confused like her!

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi baseball,

Your best bet is to look on the web pages of the programs you are interested in. If this does not contain the info, then you should contact these programs directly, since yours may be a more complicated situation than most applicants face. I can give you my guesses at the answers to these questions, but don't hold me to them...
1. yes, any accredited bachelors degree makes you eligible
2. not sure... most likely GRE, but since she won't be an international student, not sure about the TOEFL
3. her clinical experience w/ her BPT degree may count, but if not, volunteering/ observing or work as a PT aide in the US is a great intro to PT in this country
4. graduates in this country are not eligible to take the exam without a degree from an accredited masters or dpt program. Not sure how this rule affects those from other countries...

Here is the link to the APTA/ CAPTE accredited programs
http://www.apta.org/AM/Template.cfm...schools/acc_schools_map.cfm&process=3&type=PT

Good Luck!

I do not know a whole lot about it, but this is what I know:
The DPT program in the US is an entry-level physical therapy program, therefore if you received a bachelors in pt from another country you are not eligible for it! To be able to practice you have to get your degree in compliance with the DPT curriculum requirements before you can seat for the board exam, meaning that she will need to take some classes. Unfortunately I am not sure how that works.
If I were you I would contact those 2 schools and discuss this with them...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, My wife will be receiving her Bachelors in Physical Therapy (BPT) degree later this year. She will be coming to US at the end of the year on green card. So, she will NOT be an international student. We will be living in Chicago area. And I am hoping to have her continue studies in Northwestern University or University of Illinois, Chicago.

I have few questions.
1) Can she get admission into either of one of the DPT programs using her BPT degree from India?
2) Does she need to take both TOEFL and GRE exams? Her friends in India say that she doesn't need either. But I have a feeling that she needs both.
3) I also notice on both school's website, that they need some clinical experiences approved by US physical therapists. How do you get that before you apply if you never been to US before?
4) Can she take the license exam without getting her DPT or she needs that degree first?

Sorry, this is my first post. And I am very confused like her!

Thanks.

Sir,

I am a student from India and I plan to study my master's in US. I am in the exact same situation and emailing the universities is not giving me big help. Please let me know, if you have any more helpful information on how to tackle the above questions...thanks a lot for your help....

thanks

Sir,

I am a student from India and I plan to study my master's in US. I am in the exact same situation and emailing the universities is not giving me big help. Please let me know, if you have any more helpful information on how to tackle the above questions...thanks a lot for your help....

thanks

just to clarify that there are just a few masters of pt still left in the US, and just like the DPT they are an entry-level degrees. You can however work on your post-graduate study doing research for an university, but that track is usually for those who are seeking a PHD.
Now, I am not a 100% sure on all of these, so dont hold me against it....

Like the others who have posted, I am not sure what actually can be done in this unique situation.
The DPT is an entry-level degree. I believe the t-DPT (transitional DPT) may be a viable option because it is for people who already have an entry level degree (BPT, MPT). Again, I'm not 100% sure, but it might be something worth looking into.

Like the others who have posted, I am not sure what actually can be done in this unique situation.
The DPT is an entry-level degree. I believe the t-DPT (transitional DPT) may be a viable option because it is for people who already have an entry level degree (BPT, MPT). Again, I'm not 100% sure, but it might be something worth looking into.

Thank you CLGUY, so for the t-DPT program entry, do I need to have my licensure exam written before I start applying?

Also, can international students apply for licensure in US?

Thank you for all the comments, Please do help me out.