bottom tier programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GeddyLee

Bad-ass Guitarist
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here's a question....not that I'm thrilled about the prospect of going to one of the worst programs in the country, but what would you consider to be the less competetive programs? I'm trying to decide where to apply this time, and I'm definitely wanting to increase my chances by applying more broadly. So...any input would be much appreciated!

Thanks
Ged

Members don't see this ad.

GeddyLee said:
So here's a question....not that I'm thrilled about the prospect of going to one of the worst programs in the country, but what would you consider to be the less competetive programs? I'm trying to decide where to apply this time, and I'm definitely wanting to increase my chances by applying more broadly. So...any input would be much appreciated!

Thanks
Ged

I'll also be applying to these programs, so lets hear which ones are the easiest to get into. Hey Geddy, maybe I'll see you at some interviews if you don't cancel them :)

I'm familiar w/ the ny area programs.. I'll list the less desirable programs, & perhaps that equates w/ the easier programs to match at:

bronx-lebanon
Nassau
Long Isalnd Jewish
Northshore
St Vincent's
SUNY Downstate
SUNY Upstate

good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
The best advice I every got was "wear the belt and the suspenders" when applying to ophtho. Don't be afraid of bottom-tier programs. If you're motivated and love the field you're going into, you can excel in any program. If you aren't, no program can save you.

any other undesirable programs in the country? Programs where you'd rather not go? Places you'd only go if it was your only option?

GeddyLee said:
any other undesirable programs in the country? Programs where you'd rather not go? Places you'd only go if it was your only option?

i don't want to bash a place by calling it less desirable, but i'll say this- check out some of the programs in smaller cities/ towns in the south and midwest (no i don't mean iowa andrew!). also check out the "not as big name" places located in or near major cities on the east coast.

the great thing about ophtho is that all of the residencies are good - so i've been told. many of these less desirable programs are better than the so called "top tier programs". trust me, some of these "top tier" places i interviewed at seemed to have the worst residency programs while some of the "non-top tier" places seemed to have great residents. i guess what i'm trying to say is - you'll be fine no matter where you go.

again, i'm still a transitional until july first, so take eveything i say with a grain of salt. good luck. you seem like a good guy - i hope it works out for you.

Medical College of Georgia and Geizinger in PA. These programs are not bad, they are just in not very desirable places to live for many people, so your chances of matching are good cause many interviewees don't end up ranking them or rank them at the bottom.

good luck