Bottom 10 programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

edinOH

Can I get a work excuse?
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
There has been alot of talk about what people consider to be the "top" residencies. What about the worst? Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Any that declined to interview me...

I wouldn't dare answer this post, because I would be ripped up one side and down the other by the people in that program or who disagreed with me. I think being on probation in the last few years definitely put a program in the bottom ten category however.

Members don't see this ad :)
Talking about probation.
What is the word on Albert Einstein at Beth Israel in NYC? They are on probation but the residents really seem to like it and think it is a good program.

As of the most recent ACGME update (7 Nov 02), Beth Israel is not on probation - the status is "continued provisional accreditation". Provisional is not probation - it's more like temporary. With probation, you either fix it, or your program is closed - you can't remain on probation more than one term for review.

See for yourself at ACGME:

http://www.acgme.org/adspublic/prog...id=0&stateid=33&specialtyid=10&calc=212690311

My understanding of Beth Israel's situation is that in february a decision will be made - either they close or full accreditation.

... and while it's not an adverse action, like probation is, it does mean that the next time the program is up for review a decision will have to be made re: giving full accreditation or closing the program, to my understanding.

Programs end up getting provisional accreditation when they're new or sometimes when 2 programs merge and it changes them significantly. You can get extended for another term once, hence continued provisional accreditation, but not more than that. By then the ACGME either expects the program to be ready for full accreditation or I guess it gets shut down if the ACGME criteria aren't met.

does anyone know why ae/bi is on continued provisional status?