Botox??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goldenfingers

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if there is any rules on who is allowed to give Botox as a cosmetic treatment in the US.. One of my friends who is a periodontist just took a 2 day CE course on Botox!! I also heard that PCPs , OBGYN and even NPs are providing that too!

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if there is any rules on who is allowed to give Botox as a cosmetic treatment in the US.. One of my friends who is a periodontist just took a 2 day CE course on Botox!! I also heard that PCPs , OBGYN and even NPs are providing that too!

It depends on your state regulations. In general use of Botox as a cosmetic treatment does not fall into the scope of dentistry. Some states have ruled on this, while others have not. Extra malpractice coverage may be required. Below is a link to the MN board of dentistry, see their response under "Facial Cosmesis and Pain Management."

http://www.dentalboard.state.mn.us/BoardResolutions/tabid/1068/Default.aspx

Agree with post above. It depends on the state. Also it needs to fall in the scope of dentistry.