BostonU medical sciences MA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LordoftheFries

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
sorry to keep asking about this rig, but it seems like my posts keep getting buried in the struggle. But I'll keep walking though the darkness, carrying my torch.

i'm seriously considering committing myself to the MA program for next fall, and would love to hear any feedback./reactions that anyone would be willing to lend. most of the comments posted thus far deal with the super-competitive atmosphere of the program.

is it as successful in getting people spots in allopathic schools as the propoganda they push on their website suggests?

should i bother applying to med schools next summer if i'm starting the MA program next fall?

any success/horror stories?

Thank you so much for your help-- I really, really appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

okay, i know who went through that same program, and she says it was kind of a waste. That is, she didn't gain much out of it. You should think about attending only if it will bring up your gpa (but you are basically taking first year med school classes so it's hard to get straight As).
Honestly, I would not apply to the BU Med Sci program. Apparently it doesn't help people's chances of getting into med school (my friend got an interview at BU but so did most of her classmates in the program) and very very few got in. If it were me, I would rather work for a year and then apply.
best of luck,
JonnieQ

obviously i'm considering the program to counteract my lackluster undergrad gpa (3.0). i'm thinking that the program must help people get accepted to some extent-- they claim that about 85% of people goign through the program get into allopathic.

what do you think, should i look at their numbers with some suspishun? suspicion? or suspischion?

come on, i need some encouraging words, this guy just killed my buzz

I went through the program in 2001/02. I had a lower GPA than you; a good MCAT and can honestly say that I would not be in med school w/o it. It costs a lot and is pretty competitive, but if you do well and have a decent MCAT, you have a good shot of getting in. There are plenty of opportunities for clinical experience and/or research, none of which I took advantage of.
There are a number of students in my current class from the MA program, I was accepted from the first wave of acceptances off the waitlist in may (probably because I completed my application here in January).
You can take a number of the first year science classes, I went there with the sole intention of getting a decent GPA, didn?t go to class much just studied my ass off for a year and made sure I scored well on the 9-12 exams per semester. I finished my thesis the following year while living on LI and getting my apps out.

I am now a ms1 and since I already took some of the classes, my fall schedule is pretty light compared to my classmates and spring semester is even easier. So IMO the program kicks ass.