Boston University MAMS 2021-2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello MAMS Representative!
I cannot remember if my application is considered completed if I have not yet submitted my MCAT scores. Can you remind me, please? Should I wait to upload MCAT scores before hearing back from admissions? The remainder of my application has been submitted a little over a month ago.
Thanks for your feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just accepted today! So excited about this program! I only submitted on 5/31 so the program definitely has a quick turn around. Hopefully I’ll see some of you in the fall. Is there a Facebook group or GroupMe I could join?
You should receive a link to the FB page after you paid the deposit, I believe.

Reactions: 1 users
I cannot remember if my application is considered completed if I have not yet submitted my MCAT scores. Can you remind me, please? Should I wait to upload MCAT scores before hearing back from admissions? The remainder of my application has been submitted a little over a month ago.
They started reviewing apps without mcat scores a month or so ago, I believe. I was accepted without my mcat score, but I also submitted my app in March, so ymmv?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello!! MCAT/GRE scores are not required, so unless you indicated you are submitting scores, your application will be complete without them.

Hi all. I have been accepted to MAMS and am hoping to get a little more information about student life. Specifically, I am wondering what the schedule of a MAMS student looks like - when are classes - how many times a week - which days etc, and where students typically live - concentrated around BMC in the South End or dispersed across the city? Any insight would be appreciated. Hope to see some of you this fall.

Hi all. I have been accepted to MAMS and am hoping to get a little more information about student life. Specifically, I am wondering what the schedule of a MAMS student looks like - when are classes - how many times a week - which days etc, and where students typically live - concentrated around BMC in the South End or dispersed across the city? Any insight would be appreciated. Hope to see some of you this fall.
Congratulations. Do you mind sharing your stats?

Great questions!!
In terms of schedule- (reposted/slightly edited from earlier in the thread)
In the fall, you have 2-3 classes per day (and everyone takes the same classes- Physiology A, COT [Histology], and Biochem/Cell Bio). Classes usually start around 10am, with the exception of a morning histology lab that runs during half of the fall semester. You may have somewhere between 15 - 90 mins between classes, and are usually done with class by 2/3pm depending on the day. Optional TA review sessions are held after class in the afternoon. Optional office hours/meetings with professors can be held throughout the day.

Normally, I would do some light review in the morning over tea/coffee, usually at one of my favorite cafes by BUSM (Flour Bakery!). Then, I would head to class. In between classes, my friends and I would grab lunch and/or spend some time in the library doing work, depending on how much time we had. After class, I would usually get some tea and head back up to the library to do several hours of work before heading home for dinner :)

In terms of where students live-
Students really live all over and it comes down to your priorities (proximity to campus, cost, etc.). Some students live in the South End, which is closest to campus; however, it is not the safest neighborhood and rents tend to be higher, although you can still find affordable options. Some students lived closer to BU's Charles River Campus, whether in Brookline, Fenway, etc., while other people lived farther away from campus and commuted via the bus/subway/BU Campus Shuttle. For example, one of my friends lived in Dorchester and took the bus to campus, and this was totally doable for her! Personally, I lived off campus, within walking distance from school, and really loved it.

In terms of BU vs non-BU housing: Most of my friends lived in non-BU housing, but about 1/3 of the class generally lives in grad housing overall. You can see what is available here (BU grad housing) and you can also reach out to the off-campus housing office. People will also post apartment listings on your FB group, and you can keep an eye on listings that pop up on the different rental websites. Depending on your price range and if you're open to roommates, there are many options around campus and in the neighborhoods nearby. Ultimately, if you are flexible with location in/around Boston, and if you are flexible with the number of roommates you have, you can definitely find an affordable option! If you would prefer to be closest to campus, the South End is the most convenient to campus and still a great place to live.

Members don't see this ad :)
Great questions!!
In terms of schedule- (reposted/slightly edited from earlier in the thread)
In the fall, you have 2-3 classes per day (and everyone takes the same classes- Physiology A, COT [Histology], and Biochem/Cell Bio). Classes usually start around 10am, with the exception of a morning histology lab that runs during half of the fall semester. You may have somewhere between 15 - 90 mins between classes, and are usually done with class by 2/3pm depending on the day. Optional TA review sessions are held after class in the afternoon. Optional office hours/meetings with professors can be held throughout the day.

Normally, I would do some light review in the morning over tea/coffee, usually at one of my favorite cafes by BUSM (Flour Bakery!). Then, I would head to class. In between classes, my friends and I would grab lunch and/or spend some time in the library doing work, depending on how much time we had. After class, I would usually get some tea and head back up to the library to do several hours of work before heading home for dinner :)

In terms of where students live-
Students really live all over and it comes down to your priorities (proximity to campus, cost, etc.). Some students live in the South End, which is closest to campus; however, it is not the safest neighborhood and rents tend to be higher, although you can still find affordable options. Some students lived closer to BU's Charles River Campus, whether in Brookline, Fenway, etc., while other people lived farther away from campus and commuted via the bus/subway/BU Campus Shuttle. For example, one of my friends lived in Dorchester and took the bus to campus, and this was totally doable for her! Personally, I lived off campus, within walking distance from school, and really loved it.

In terms of BU vs non-BU housing: Most of my friends lived in non-BU housing, but about 1/3 of the class generally lives in grad housing overall. You can see what is available here (BU grad housing) and you can also reach out to the off-campus housing office. People will also post apartment listings on your FB group, and you can keep an eye on listings that pop up on the different rental websites. Depending on your price range and if you're open to roommates, there are many options around campus and in the neighborhoods nearby. Ultimately, if you are flexible with location in/around Boston, and if you are flexible with the number of roommates you have, you can definitely find an affordable option! If you would prefer to be closest to campus, the South End is the most convenient to campus and still a great place to live.
Thank you! This is really helpful.

Good to hear there is a flour nearby (I would have also accepted a Tatte).
Sounds like it might be feasible for me to stay in my current location over in Beacon Hill and commute over.n I will look into the BU shuttle service to see if it offers a more efficient route.

Congrats to all those who have gotten accepted!!
@BUMAMS I was wondering if there was anything I could do to communicate that this is my first choice school or anything potential students could do to make our application stand out beyond what was already submitted?

Is there anyone I can can directly contact to discuss my stats and chances of being accepted into the program?
Hi! Did you ever reach out to the email, and were they able to help you?

Hi! Did you ever reach out to the email, and were they able to help you?
Congrats to all those who have gotten accepted!!
@BUMAMS I was wondering if there was anything I could do to communicate that this is my first choice school or anything potential students could do to make our application stand out beyond what was already submitted?

Hello!! I think the best thing for you to do would be to reach out to Dr. Offner, our program director, at goffner @ bu .edu.

Hey guys~ I recently got accepted not too long ago so I am looking for a housie! If anyone just got accepted and would like to house together, please feel free to dm me! I am looking for another girl for a 2 bedroom apartment. My budget is around 1500! I already have a broker and he’s already given me a few good apartment choices, so you would just need to pick one!!! :)

Hey guys~ I recently got accepted not too long ago so I am looking for a housie! If anyone just got accepted and would like to house together, please feel free to dm me! I am looking for another girl for a 2 bedroom apartment. My budget is around 1500! I already have a broker and he’s already given me a few good apartment choices, so you would just need to pick one!!! :)
Hi!! CONGRATULATIONS!! If you've paid your deposit to MAMS, you can join the FB group (which might help you in your roommate search). DM me for more info! And WELCOME to MAMS!!!

Anyone know if they've reach capacity for this year? I'm technically on a post-review hold and wondering if I'm going to hear back at all.

Never heard back from anyone. No decisions either.
Hey there, I'm sorry you're still waiting to hear back!! Some decisions take longer than others, and the admissions team is still actively working through applications. I'm just a student rep, but please feel free to DM if there's anything I can do to help (or if you have any specific questions)!

Also waiting to hear back. Complete on 7/5. Have acceptances to Georgetown's SMP and Tulane's Biochem MBS, but am really hoping to go to Boston.

Nope...sent an email to Dr. Offner a few days ago too and no response.

Nope...sent an email to Dr. Offner a few days ago too and no response.
I sent an e-mail a week or 2 ago

Per Dr. Offner, "We are expecting to make admissions decisions weekly until mid-August as the class takes shape"

Seems, like they're pretty busy

Hey, if anyone's still looking for a roommate, hit me up. (I'm a male if that matters.)

Does anyone know if they are still accepting students?