Boston University MAMS 2018-2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi, I'm very interested in applying to the program, but I have not taken my MCAT yet. I'm registered to take it on April 20th. Since my application does not have an MCAT score, would it be incomplete until a score is submitted? Would the application be reviewed after I submitted the score? And, in this scenario, would the application be considered very late, given the fact that it's been mentioned that applications should be received by April 1st?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I'm very interested in applying to the program, but I have not taken my MCAT yet. I'm registered to take it on April 20th. Since my application does not have an MCAT score, would it be incomplete until a score is submitted? Would the application be reviewed after I submitted the score? And, in this scenario, would the application be considered very late, given the fact that it's been mentioned that applications should be received by April 1st?
For your particular situation I would recommend taking the GRE if you're serious about attending MAMS. I would say getting an MCAT score back in May would probably be on the late side and there may only be few, if any, spots left. Your application will not be complete or reviewed until we have a score for either the GRE or the MCAT. The GRE gives you the score right away, and won't affect your med school application so I generally recommend that option for situations like this!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey Y'all

I have considered applying to this program, but I haven't submitted my application. Is it too late? I am planning on taking the GRE in March.

Hi! Would applying in May be considered too late? I really want to have my spring grades from this semester before applying so I can put my best foot forward because this is where I'm really lacking. I have a 509 MCAT, decent ECs, and will have good LORs. Thanks in advance for any advice/help!

Has anyone heard back on acceptances lately?

Members don't see this ad :)
Submitted 2/5, complete 2/7, accepted 2/27

Reactions: 1 users
Ive recently been accepted into the Tufts BMS program. I submitted my BU app in late January and was complete 2/1. Any estimate on when I would hear back from BU? I only have a few weeks to secure my spot at Tufts

I was just accepted today! Submitted: 2/23 Completed: 2/26 Accepted: 3/1

Ive recently been accepted into the Tufts BMS program. I submitted my BU app in late January and was complete 2/1. Any estimate on when I would hear back from BU? I only have a few weeks to secure my spot at Tufts

When did you submit to Tufts?

Congratulations! Do you mind sharing stats, please?
Thanks :) MCAT: 510 cGPA: 3.6 sGPA: 3.3. Lots of research experience, some (not very much) clinical/non-clinical volunteering, leadership ECs

Accepted, but am still on the fence about the program. How does this program differentiate itself from the others?

Ive heard back from BU mams. They said that they "could not offer me admission at this time but I am still under active consideration." Not quite sure what this means...looks like I am going to Tufts!

Ive heard back from BU mams. They said that they "could not offer me admission at this time but I am still under active consideration." Not quite sure what this means...looks like I am going to Tufts!

Maybe that means you’re on a waitlist?

"Active consideration" - we do not technically have a waitlist. This basically just means that the admissions committee would like more time to reflect upon the application as we get a better sense of the incoming class. Please continue to check in with Ali Grise ([email protected]) regarding any questions about your individual application.

Accepted, but am still on the fence about the program. How does this program differentiate itself from the others?

First off, congratulations! As a 2nd year student, I would say that what stands out for me the most in MAMS has been the close-knit community and advising network. The professors here are the most dedicated group of faculty that I have had the privilege of learning from. All of the faculty teach multiple other courses in the medical school curriculum but still maintain such high levels of dedication to the MAMS program. Each student is also assigned an advisor. The advisors are so helpful in figuring out your path and are really just there for whatever help you may need along the way. Dr. Offner, the program director, has multiple class meetings throughout the year regarding MCAT/application timeline, study strategies, letters of rec/committee letters, personal statements, etc. For me, this was extremely helpful since I was feeling a little lost in how to *finally* apply to medical school. As for the student-life experience, the fact that there is no curve in MAMS (aka - you can all get A's) really fosters a collaborative and supportive environment. I have learned tremendously from my peers and could not imagine going through this experience without them. If you are worried about a competitive environment - don't! This program also has high success in placing MAMS students in really amazing research positions during their second year. There is also the flexibility to do research at any location within the country, which allows students the opportunity to go home for their second year or stay in Boston. If you are interested in pursuing a Masters in Public Health, there is a dual-degree option that I chose to take advantage of and it has been a great experience! You apply after your first MAMS semester, so don't worry about that right now. On top of all of these great aspects of the program, MAMS has a well-established relationship with BUSM and our students are very respected applicants to the medical school. Honestly, this program was also a lot of fun!

If you have any additional questions about anything I just mentioned please feel free to ask!

For the personal statement do we write more a narrative/inspirational essay or a more straightforward one detailing our ec's/research which lead us to pursue medicine? I have only written essays for graduate school, so I'm not sure how med schools/smp's like this want their essays. thanks for the help!

For the personal statement do we write more a narrative/inspirational essay or a more straightforward one detailing our ec's/research which lead us to pursue medicine? I have only written essays for graduate school, so I'm not sure how med schools/smp's like this want their essays. thanks for the help!
Great question! As a general piece of advice I would try not to make a personal statement just a reiteration of a resume (something I have been told many times). We really want to hear about your experiences thus far (educational, life, research, volunteer, etc.), goals for the future, why you need a second chance/ why you think that MAMS is the best next step for you to achieve your goals!

Why does it seem as though those who were complete before January aren't hearing back whereas those complete within the last month are?

Why does it seem as though those who were complete before January aren't hearing back whereas those complete within the last month are?
This was my case, I constantly contacted them and checked on my status. Follow up with them and see what's up.

This was my case, I constantly contacted them and checked on my status. Follow up with them and see what's up.

When were you completed and what were your stats if you don't mind be asking

I was complete 2/6 and e-mailed them about 2 weeks ago about my status and they just said it usually takes 4-6 weeks, no decision so far

When were you completed and what were your stats if you don't mind be asking

I was complete 2/6 and e-mailed them about 2 weeks ago about my status and they just said it usually takes 4-6 weeks, no decision so far

Lizzy M 63. I was complete early December. I e-mailed them after seeing people in Feb. receive information before myself and I decided to follow up. I advise for you to wait a little bit longer and then do the same if there is no response.

Hello,

Does the admission office prefer one test over another (i.e. MCAT over GRE versus GRE over MCAT)?

Thank you

Hello!

Is it still too late to apply? I've been researching a few programs and I wanted to know if I could still be competitive if I submitted in the next couple of weeks.

Hello,

Does the admission office prefer one test over another (i.e. MCAT over GRE versus GRE over MCAT)?

Thank you

I asked them this and they said no. Pick whichever you're more competitive with.

Hello!

Is it still too late to apply? I've been researching a few programs and I wanted to know if I could still be competitive if I submitted in the next couple of weeks.

Shoot your shot. I didn't think I was going to get in and I got in.

@Boston University MAMS I just received my acceptance for the program! I am super excited. Would you please elaborate more on the different concentrations?
congrats! I would say that the vast majority just do "regular" MAMS. The concentrations take away from the number of sciences that you take, which sort of defeats the purpose of taking the classes in preparation for medical school. If you wanted to do a concentration I would recommend waiting another cycle to apply so that you could take all of the MAMS courses and the courses for whatever concentration you choose. The dual-degree option with MPH is the most popular option, as the MPH is done after the MAMS coursework is over (and you can also apply while being in the MPH year).

Deciding between Boston vs Loyola, does anyone have any insights one way or the other?

@Boston University MAMS can you elaborate on how useful this program would be in helping students get into med right away, with no gap year? I really like the looks of this program but don't want to do the 2-year version since I dont need any more research experience. I suppose my question revolves around how well do other medical schools recognize this program and to what extent does it help when applying before the program starts. i.e. can I update schools with my progress in the program, letters of rec from program to med schools, etc?

@Boston University MAMS can you elaborate on how useful this program would be in helping students get into med right away, with no gap year? I really like the looks of this program but don't want to do the 2-year version since I dont need any more research experience. I suppose my question revolves around how well do other medical schools recognize this program and to what extent does it help when applying before the program starts. i.e. can I update schools with my progress in the program, letters of rec from program to med schools, etc?

I would recommend speaking with Dr. Offner or Ali Grise about your particular situation, as advising needs to start earlier if you are planning on doing the 1-year version. Success really depends on your application strength - so if you have everything you need but maybe need to show that you can succeed in these classes then that would be a good decision. If both your MCAT and GPA need some work then I would recommend doing the 2-year and retaking the MCAT after. So it really just depends on your situation.

For the 1-year, schools will typically wait to give you a decision until your fall MAMS grades have been updated (not always, but usually). You should definitely continue to update schools with your progress in the program. There is a letter from Dr. Offner sent early on which basically describes the program and lets schools know what you're up to.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

I had a couple questions and if anyone can answer them, I would greatly appreciate it.

1. How many students apply to medical school before entering MAMS and is admitted to a medical school after the first year? I believe I have enough extracurricular activities and research experience (~4500hrs) to do the 1 year track. I messed up in my early college years 1.4 GPA and transferred to USC and completed a BS in Biochemistry with 3.84 and MS in Molecular Genetics and Biochemistry with 3.90. But overall AMCAS GPA 3.16. I am planning to kill the first semester of MAMS and matriculate to a medical school immediately after graduation.

2. My goal is to get into BUSM if I attend MAMS. What was the general trend like for MAMS student matriculating into BUSM? High MAMS GPA? High MCAT? FYI my MCAT was 513.

I am split between Georgetown SMP and BU MAMS. I compelled to attend BU MAMS mostly because I would like to have a better shot at entering BUSM through the MAMS. However, the con is staying the summer to complete a thesis.
While, Georgetown SMP encourages applying before the program and is truly 1 year (no summer session). Its curriculum incorporates 9 medical school classes while BU MAMS seems to incorporate only 3 medical school classes. And Georgetown SMP is highly regarded due to its rigor.

Can anyone give me some advice? Thank you.

Last edited:
The GPA requirement for this program is a 3.0 but it says there are case by case exceptions. What does this mean?

I’ll be apply in late May after grades come out with a high MCAT score but cumulate gpa around a 2.8. This gpa will be above 3.0 by the time I would start the program though as I’m taking 15 credits this summer and plan to continue getting straight As as I have for the last few semesters.

I had a couple questions and if anyone can answer them, I would greatly appreciate it.

1. How many students apply to medical school before entering MAMS and is admitted to a medical school after the first year? I believe I have enough extracurricular activities and research experience (~4500hrs) to do the 1 year track. I messed up in my early college years 1.4 GPA and transferred to USC and completed a BS in Biochemistry with 3.84 and MS in Molecular Genetics and Biochemistry with 3.90. But overall AMCAS GPA 3.16. I am planning to kill the first semester of MAMS and matriculate to a medical school immediately after graduation.

2. My goal is to get into BUSM if I attend MAMS. What was the general trend like for MAMS student matriculating into BUSM? High MAMS GPA? High MCAT? FYI my MCAT was 513.

I am split between Georgetown SMP and BU MAMS. I compelled to attend BU MAMS mostly because I would like to have a better shot at entering BUSM through the MAMS. However, the con is staying the summer to complete a thesis.
While, Georgetown SMP encourages applying before the program and is truly 1 year (no summer session). Its curriculum incorporates 9 medical school classes while BU MAMS seems to incorporate only 3 medical school classes. And Georgetown SMP is highly regarded due to its rigor.

Can anyone give me some advice? Thank you.

1) The vast majority of students do not apply to medical school before MAMS. I would say ~10-15 students apply before entering. I would suggest that you speak with Ali Grise about your particular situation. The 1-year is usually a good option for students who are mostly ready to apply and just need to show medical schools that you are doing extra training.

2) This program is not a linkage program to BUSM, but offers students the chance to have their application reviewed separately from the general applicant pool. Around 60% of MAMS students will receive an interview, and around 20 students will be accepted. BUSM uses holistic review, so it is tough to give a general trend to applicants.

Just to clear up some info about the thesis - you do not have to stay in Boston over the summer to complete your thesis. You are free to complete a literature thesis or a research thesis any place in the country!

The GPA requirement for this program is a 3.0 but it says there are case by case exceptions. What does this mean?

I’ll be apply in late May after grades come out with a high MCAT score but cumulate gpa around a 2.8. This gpa will be above 3.0 by the time I would start the program though as I’m taking 15 credits this summer and plan to continue getting straight As as I have for the last few semesters.

If you believe that you have a solid application but are just waiting for another semester of grades, I would recommend speaking with Ali Grise in the MAMS office about your application. The GPA recommendation of a 3.0 is not a strict requirement and is just an average!

Hi! Me again. I am curious as to how most students finance their education at BU MAMS. Are there any paid research positions? Does BU offer monthly tuition payment option? I am getting scared about paying for graduate school haha...

Also, would you please elaborate on how students could complete their research thesis outside of Boston? Are we responsible for seeking out research opportunities and finding PIs willing to take us? Are there any resources that would help with that?

Thank you so much for your help :)

Hi! Me again. I am curious as to how most students finance their education at BU MAMS. Are there any paid research positions? Does BU offer monthly tuition payment option? I am getting scared about paying for graduate school haha...

Also, would you please elaborate on how students could complete their research thesis outside of Boston? Are we responsible for seeking out research opportunities and finding PIs willing to take us? Are there any resources that would help with that?

Thank you so much for your help :)

Hi! Our Financial Aid Administrator's name is Sherill Ashe and she would be the best person to speak to about any financial questions. Her email is [email protected]. From my experience, most of my friends had taken out loans to cover the tuition - I am not sure if there are payment plans.

Paid research positions do exist, but I would highly recommend just focusing on schoolwork during MAMS (absolutely during first semester). Some students will incorporate a part-time job during the second semester.

Starting 2nd semester Dr. Offner will start sending out different research opportunities from PIs who have worked with MAMS students in the past and are looking to have another one. Few of these are outside of Boston, but plenty of people find a PI on their own in a location of their choice. We help you craft an email basically explaining what MAMS is and the requirements of the research thesis. I wouldn't worry too much about this - everyone finds a lab!

Hi! Our Financial Aid Administrator's name is Sherill Ashe and she would be the best person to speak to about any financial questions. Her email is [email protected]. From my experience, most of my friends had taken out loans to cover the tuition - I am not sure if there are payment plans.

Paid research positions do exist, but I would highly recommend just focusing on schoolwork during MAMS (absolutely during first semester). Some students will incorporate a part-time job during the second semester.

Starting 2nd semester Dr. Offner will start sending out different research opportunities from PIs who have worked with MAMS students in the past and are looking to have another one. Few of these are outside of Boston, but plenty of people find a PI on their own in a location of their choice. We help you craft an email basically explaining what MAMS is and the requirements of the research thesis. I wouldn't worry too much about this - everyone finds a lab!
Thank you for the info! I am going to focus solely on academics going into the program :).

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using SDN mobile

Hi me again! I am sorry that I have so many questions and thanks for answering them all :).

1. How's the culture amongst students? Does the program foster a collaborative environment?
2. Do advisors write LOC for students? Or do we use our old LOC? How available are these advisors to students?
3. What are some volunteering and shadowing opportunities available to students? Would we have enough time to pursue these endeavors? I am trying to decide what I need to do before the program starts.
4. I'm sure this was already mentioned, but just to elaborate, how are students graded? Would we be graded against other students or against medical students?
5. I loved working with Global Brigades, does BU have a chapter?
6. Do we take classes with med students? Or do we take classes generally with other MAMS students?

Thank you again for your time!