Boston to Philly

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Danny5256

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a westcoast guy, and I have no knowledge of the east coast at all. I have an interview in Boston one day, and the next day I have one in Temple. I know there's a train system in that area, but I dont know if that is such a good idea. So anyone from that area, if you think I should take the train or just fly let me know which one is the better, and most importantly, cheaper idea.

Members don't see this ad.

Danny5256 said:
I'm a westcoast guy, and I have no knowledge of the east coast at all. I have an interview in Boston one day, and the next day I have one in Temple. I know there's a train system in that area, but I dont know if that is such a good idea. So anyone from that area, if you think I should take the train or just fly let me know which one is the better, and most importantly, cheaper idea.

Danny,

I don't think there are direct trains from Boston to Philly. You'll probably have to go Boston to Penn Station (a large train station in NYC), and then Penn Station to Philly. The trains from Boston to NYC are very reliable. I'm not sure what the prices are, but I am sure a one way ticket will cost about $60. I have taken it a couple of times. The trains from NYC to Philly are probably even more reliable. Not sure what the costs are. But you can check them out at Amtrak.com. If you're interviewing at Tufts, you'll be less than 10 minutes from South Station, which is where all of the Boston trains leave from. Getting to the airport from downtown Boston (where Tufts Dent and BU are located) can be a real pain, especially in rush hour.

Hope that helps.

ncalcate said:
Danny,

I don't think there are direct trains from Boston to Philly. You'll probably have to go Boston to Penn Station (a large train station in NYC), and then Penn Station to Philly. The trains from Boston to NYC are very reliable. I'm not sure what the prices are, but I am sure a one way ticket will cost about $60. I have taken it a couple of times. The trains from NYC to Philly are probably even more reliable. Not sure what the costs are. But you can check them out at Amtrak.com. If you're interviewing at Tufts, you'll be less than 10 minutes from South Station, which is where all of the Boston trains leave from. Getting to the airport from downtown Boston (where Tufts Dent and BU are located) can be a real pain, especially in rush hour.

Hope that helps.

The barebones cheapest way to go is to take the chinatown bus from Boston to NYC (3 hours) $12 and then NYC to Philly (2 hours) $12. $24 one way or $40 round trip.

Members don't see this ad :)
trains are definitely easy and if you look on amtrak.com you can pick schedules and book your train to put you at ease before the trip begins. The times are all very often so you can change trains the day of if you wish without a hassle at all.

trains can get expensive though, and USAir flies Philly to Boston for only $106!! Sometimes it's higher at $140 with tax, but it's really cheaper or not much different from train fairs and a whole lot faster.

cheapest option is always the Chinatown bus!

I took a train from Boston to Philadelhia for about 60 dollars, it was a six hour trip. search www.amtrak.com schedules BOS to PHL, if you have AAA or if you are willing to join a student club, there is a discount.

The absolute cheapest way is the two Chinatown buses, as previously mentioned.

I've taken the Philly to Boston train many times. It's not so bad, but can feel slow when stopping in all those little Connecticut towns. The Acela is faster (stops at fewer places), but is WAY more expensive. Make sure to get a student or AAA discount

Definately look into flying if you can get a direct route (doesn't stop in NYC).