Boston, NYU, and Temple advice PLEASE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

koogrl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Adding to my previous post!!!

Have Temple, NYU, and Boston interviews, in that order. Which school you think I should cancel and why? Too expensive to go to all three. I know NYU's class is huge and the school and area are expensive. Can you guys tell me both the educational and clinical aspects of any of the three? Thanks for any help guys. Feel free to PM me as well.

Sylvia

Members don't see this ad.

Where would you rather live for the next four years....
NYC, Boston, or Philly?

I haven't been to NYU and I skipped my interview at Temple, but I liked BU (although I liked Tufts and Nova more). I think you get a pretty good clinical experience at BU and apex and externships are cool. I think you would get a better clinical experience at Temple because there is a much better patient pool there. NYU is too expensive for me to even consider. It's a rough choice.

Jessica

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wanted to say that BU is extending the externship in the 4th year from 6 to 12 weeks.

Hey Koogrl..

Check out this link.. almost every dental school is discussed, albeit briefly.. A lot of us had similar problems when it came to picking a school, but the issues for each of us differed. For eg: If I didn't want an expensive school, I'd skip NYU. Others went by national ranking, or chances for post grad later.. either way this link should address most of your needs:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=91453

Tasha

Goto Boston! It has got cutting edge technology and a good APEX program. Definitely a good choice out of the three.

OUt of NYU, BU, and Temple, I would pick Temple hands down. Way cheaper tuition, cheaper living, best clinical experience (NYU is also good).

I noticed this thread is old and came out of nowhere. Hey Koogrl, have you made up your mind since then?

No, still haven't gone on my interviews yet. Went to Temple, but have Tufts, Boston, and NYU all next week. Looks like the consensus is Tufts though(from other posts). Thanks for all the input guys. Keep em comin and wish me luck!

Yah Tufts is a good school, but between Tufts and Temple, why would you pick Tufts? Temple is much cheaper for the same quality of education! I would understand that if Temple was cheaper but was garbage, than it wouldnt be worth saving the cash, but thats not the case!

ANyways, enjoy your Tufts interview. Its a REALLY REALLY good school!

Originally posted by avingupta
Yah Tufts is a good school, but between Tufts and Temple, why would you pick Tufts? Temple is much cheaper for the same quality of education! I
!

Much cheaper if you get instate tuition.

Much cheaper if you get instate tuition.

True, but I dont know why anyone would not. I bought a 900 square foot beautiful condo in Philly 10 mins from Temple overlooking Fairmount Park for only $54000. With the $40000 I save on tuition, its practically a free condo and free living for 4 years. So, Temple ends up being MUCH cheaper than Tufts. Thats what I mean. But If you dont get instate...its still cheaper, and you would probably still save $30000 over the 4 years.

Very true...Temple is a lot cheaper, but I wasn't too impressed with the area the school is in, and the building and facilities were pretty old and run down. I am so mad though.....got a letter from Tufts, saying their class is full, and my interview for next week is for an alternate position(only 1/4 get accepted). Sucks b/c when I scheduled the interview, I asked them if their class was full and whether my position was for an alternate. WOndering if they knoew at the time, or if really, their class did fill up as of 3/18/04. Neway, hopefully, interview will go well. Neone know how full Boston and NYU are? Thanks a lot

Frustrated

Hello koogrl,

I'm sorry to hear about the Tufts letter. I'm still waiting to hear from them...did you receive a letter via email or us postal service snail mail? I heard that their class was getting full, but this is scary, especially since you're interviewing next week. When did you initially schedule your interview (via phone, right)? Thanks in advance and best wishes to you!

-FS

Very true...Temple is a lot cheaper, but I wasn't too impressed with the area the school is in, and the building and facilities were pretty old and run down.

The area I cant defend, but why is it such a big deal...you are just going to school there, not living there. And about the facilities, sure they dont have fancy LCD screens and are sparkling like NYU, but they are exactly what you would find in a dentist's office and that is all you need. They were only built like 12 years ago!