Books?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

despair

semi-charmed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Recommended first year books? Heheheh

Members don't see this ad.

hey despair. didn't your school give you a list of books to buy? well here's mine if it helps:
Grey's Anatomy by Williams, Peter
Harper's Biochemisty by Robert Murray
Textbook of Histology by Faucet
Human Nueroanatomy by Carpenter
Textbook of Med Physiology by Guyton
Review of Med Physiology by Ganong, William
Bate's Guide to Physical Exam and History Taking by Bates.

Although I also want to know other books for good references other than the books they want me to buy for first year. hmm I hope I still have time to check my messages next week...:confused: hmm

That book list I posted on the link i gave you? You could buy more than that, but I didn't include any book I wouldn't recommend.

Members don't see this ad :)
my must-haves for 1st year were...

Netter's Atlas of Anatomy (guide in dissection)
Moore's Anatomy (for the text & illustrations)
Bate's Guide to PE & History Taking, as well
De Myer's Techniques in Neurologic Examination
Berne & Levy's Physiology
Wheater's Histology

those were the books i bought for first year.

if your college's library has a good stock of references, i suggest you just borrow from there. the books i mentioned are quite expensive.

Those in Bold text are the ones I preferred even if I have both. Try to check out books in the library during your first week and try to compare by reading a few paragraphs to know which ones you find easier to comprehend. Take for a fact that some textbooks have strong chapters and weak in others.

Anatomy
Snell -- too detailed (esp. anatomical locations); useful tables and graphs
Moore -- I liked the pictures (gross, schematic, surface anatomy) and clinical correlations (as sidebar) better than Snell's.

Snell Review -- if you can find an "alternative" copy, this is a useful book for review esp. the tables.
HighYield Anatomy -- also good for review.

Atlas -- Invest in Netter's atlas (schematic diagrams).
McMinn is also a good atlas esp. useful for cadaver dissection (since it shows gross dissection pics).

Neuroanatomy
Try Clinical Neuroanatomy by Waxman instead of Carpenter. It's thinner, more concise, easier to read.
Forget Manter & Gatz. too technical, detailed. But don't take my word for it. Try to compare it with other books.
We had a textbook written by the former dean which was pretty good.

Histology
During my time we used Junquiera. The format is easier to read and digest compared to Bloom & Fawcett's.

For the atlas, I preferred Wheater's format better than DiFiore. Back then, DiFiore only used schematic diagrams not real histology pictures.

Biochemistry
Lippincott's is easier on the eyes; bigger fonts; excellent diagrams; chapter summaries.
Harper's is also good; may be a little bit too technical for some students, esp. those who didn't take biochem before.

Physiology
I used Guyton. Text can be too wordy at times, he goes on and on for several sentences when you can summarize in 2-3 sentences. Read. Reread. Comprehend. Digest. Especially the diagrams.

I also had Ganong initially, for review. You can also try Tadlock for GIT, renal, respi review.

If your curriculum already includes patient interaction (history taking) during the first year, you can buy Bates' Guide to Physical Examination and/or DeGowin's Diagnostic Examination.
IMO, you don't need to buy DeMyer's Neuro Examination. Just borrow from a friend and photocopy parts of the CN exam, cerebral, cerebellar and reflexes, etc.

Tip1: Bookstores like Goodwill, C&E, go around campuses during the first few weeks (designated area) where they sell old and new editions of books.
Tip2: Some orgs also sell books which are a little cheaper compared to commercial bookstores like National and Goodwill. Ask their members.
Tip3:Goodwill Bookstore usually gives a 5-10% discount if you order 10 or more books of the same type (bulk order). So gather some new groupmates/dorm mates/friends to save up especially on the really expensive books.
Tip4: Goodwill bookstore used to have a bodega/warehouse sale in their Quezon Ave branch where you can buy new editions of books at discounted prices. I forgot when they usually hold it or if they still do.

Hope this helps.

however, the best way to learn anatomy for me was to cadaver-hop. you'll see variations in the location of vessels, nerves, etc.

that's why i think dissecting cadavers is STILL better than the new, upcoming virtual stuff being developed.

i can't say that i'm an expert regarding this thread kasi i'm also an incoming freshie but i've used some of the books mentioned here already during my premed...

Ganong vs Guyton
- i used guyton but i agree also that it's too wordy. toxic, if i may put it, to read. but if you're a diligent student, hehe, ok sya. some of my classmates used ganong, they said it's a good read din daw

Wheaters
- love this. i bought the glossy one and it made me love anat even more. hahaha. it made me feel like i was reading a children's book with pictures. enjoy! (dorkiness, obvious here. haha)

Lipincotts
- good book. extensive discussion. i hate biochem so that says a lot about the book. it's more tolerable for me now. haha.

Harpers
- most of my classmates used this and said it's better than lipincotts

i love the med books "for dummies" (e.g. Medical Microbiology made ridiculously easy), fun to read and a great advantage for short attention span learners like me. haha.

** is it advisable to BUY the books? i survived my premed borrowing from upperclassmen and just buying some books so i don't know if that's ok for med...

Thanks! so far, there's no list yet of books recommended for med school.

^ are you waiting for a book list from your med school?

lecturers usually cite their sources when they lecture, pero you can only read so much books. i suggest you stick to one per field, so you can at least maximize your learning from that one book.

and yes, many people survive from photocopying books. although that's illegal everywhere else in the world (i think), hindi dito... :D

^ are you waiting for a book list from your med school?

lecturers usually cite their sources when they lecture, pero you can only read so much books. i suggest you stick to one per field, so you can at least maximize your learning from that one book.

and yes, many people survive from photocopying books. although that's illegal everywhere else in the world (i think), hindi dito... :D

They already sent out a booklist. Thanks! I think I'll buy all the books nalang, just to be safe.

Thomas Devlin Biochemistry with clinical correlations 6th ed is a good book. I would also suggest that book.

which anatomy book is better? Moore or Netter? I'm considering which to buy.

which anatomy book is better? Moore or Netter? I'm considering which to buy.

well, they're two very different books, moore explains the anatomy, netter on the other hand is almost all drawings. i think you should get the moore, cos it gives you a general view of basic anatomy and specific clinical correlations. if you have the option though it is a good idea to get both, the drawings in netter are the best and will greatly aid your understanding of anatomy.

i guess my question should have been netter vs. grant's atlas of anatomy.

i haven't used grant's. but i believe netter is everything one needs for an ATLAS of anatomy. :hardy:

i haven't used grant's. but i believe netter is everything one needs for an ATLAS of anatomy. :hardy:

gotta agree with the "lowly clerk," :D although i haven't seen the grant's atlas, i found almost everything i needed in netter.

We have Netter atlas and Moore Cinical Anatomy, Guyton for physiology, Bloom and Flawcett for histology, Herper for biochemistry in Lyceum.:)

Anybody here have the Moore's latest anatomy book? What's the big difference with the 4th and 5th edition? The 4th edition is on sale and has a better book cover (I know the book cover doesnt really matter) it's sold @700+ PhP and the 5th ed is @2000+ PhP. Which would be a good buy? Tnx

go for the 4th edition, the field of anatomy isn't really known for its rapid growth. so the 5th edition is probably just a rehashed 4th edition which is a rehashed 3rd edition, which is a rehashed 2nd edition...you get the picture.

what do you guys think of "Van.De.Graaff.Human.Anatomy" as a guide to learn anatomy?By the way, i am a Chinese,and i am going to be in my first year at medical school,i want to take the USMLE after 5 years training.