Books to read...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crhoody12

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying to podiatry school this fall for fall 2008 matriculation. Between now and next fall, I will not be in school and I'm sure a fair amount of free time on my hands. My question is (directed more towards podiatry students), what are some good books or subjects that would be good to review/read/study during the year before my first year? I want to try to have a "head-start" and use my year off wisely. More specifically, I will be applying to Temple, NYCPM, Ohio, and Barry - what do you students recommend?

Members don't see this ad.

I would just read a few things for fun... I like House of God by Shem. You can also pick up some pod publications like APMA News or Podiatry Today. They should be free and readily available when you visit the schools, so don't hesistate to ask.

As for studying, that'll be pretty hard to do when there's no pressure and no tests to reinforce it, but you could try. Just buy an anatomy coloring book and a Netter atlas (used older edition is cheaper and fine if it's in good shape... same pics in every edition since he's been dead for about 15yrs). I like the Thieme atlas the best for lower extremity and ortho stuff, but Netter or Gray's for Students a better first atlas because they're more comprehensive for chest, abdomen, head, etc...

Honestly, you get bombarded with so much info first year, and a lot of the material is just crammed, spit out on the exams, mostly forgotten once the test is over (hopefully you keep the key concepts), reviewed for boards, and then forgotten since it's seldom used again. Anatomy (and probably physio) is the one first year thing you need to know forever and can't review enough of; most pods or docs of any kind would tell you that. You can always have a pocket book in the clinic to look up a lab value or drug dosage, but there's just no recourse if you don't know the anatomy in the operating room. Spend a lot of time with your atlas and then spend a lot of time studying the cadavers and models once you're in lab.

What about other books? What are some other first semester or year classes? Any biochem or other more science related stuff to brush up on?

Members don't see this ad :)
What about other books? What are some other first semester or year classes? Any biochem or other more science related stuff to brush up on?
Other than anat, it's kinda tough.

A Netter atlas will help you out in anat at any pod school, but every school probably uses a different histo text/atlas or biochem book. Some schools also just use the professor's notes.

If you want a cheap general book, the BRS series is pretty good and have quiz questions for each chapter...
http://www.lww.com/Series/?seriesid=7
You can also get older editions those on half or amazon for real cheap. Histo, biochem, or anat really don't change much from year to year, so save the $ and get a used old one. However, if you buy a pharm or micro one down the line, always buy the newest edition, though, because those are subjects where the material gets dated fairly quick (new meds, new immunology knowldege, bact resistance, etc)...

i was a business major and only took the core science classes in undergrad, so reviewing Lippincott's Biochem was very helpful for me.