Books on Optometry Business Management

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

q1we3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend any good books to become more familiar in business side of optometry. I got nothing better to do these days.

Members don't see this ad.

Can anyone recommend any good books to become more familiar in business side of optometry. I got nothing better to do these days.

There was a book we received when graduating: Optometric Practice Management by Irving Bennett, OD.

I never read it and although old, when I flipped through it early on, it seemed to have some good tips.

At ICO, our class got lucky and was given this excellent book (which I anticipated buying and gladly would've paid for):

Business Aspects of Optometry
by the Association of Practice Management Editors.
Edited by Lawrence Thal and Sam Quintero

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/14...ils?ie=UTF8&me=&qid=1326910902&sr=1-1&seller=

BAO is very helpful and covers the business aspects of optometry quite comprehensively. I found it most helpful view their examples of writing a business plan and the detailed descriptions of the plan components. I haven't finished reading it all but in the scattered chapters or sections I have read, it has been helpful. There are sections on finance, staff, demographic research, etc.

This is more of a comprehensive business text than a practice management tips handbook. Highly recommended for all optometry students and anyone interested in starting a practice.

Other resources:
AOA website. log in and locate practice management section of site for resources.
MBA-CE.com free login and also loaded with useful forms and key business metrics.

Cheers!
Jeff