Books for the beginner?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CBG23

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am a medical student interested in plastic surgery. I was interested in learning some of the basics of plastic surgery and was wondering if there was a go to text for this kind of thing. I have heard that the Mich. manual was pretty good and obtained and a copy. However, it's outline format is not really conducive to easy reading. I was looking for something to maybe supplement it... Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Grabb and Smith's is a good text book with the first few chapters being great for beginners like myself. However, I think reading that book without actually seeing the surgeries themselves is not very useful. For example reading about cleft lips helps prepare for the case, but once you see a cleft lip repair it tends to make alot more sense where and why you are making the markings. I think focusing on sections I and II of grabb and smith's will help you in the long run.

Also check out plastic surgery secrets, I like it more than Michigan Manual

I second the Grabb and Smith nod -- it's been great to help me prepare for cases and also just to read up on general stuff.

As far as a pocketguide: I feel the same way as you about Michigan Manual -- doesn't flow right for me. UTSW's Essentials of Plastic Surgery is better, although a lot of it assumes you know the basics (ex: it doesn't exactly define a keloid, it just tells you how to treat it).

Members don't see this ad :)
I like UTSW's red book. If you know how to use Google sometimes, missing information shouldn't be an issue.

Any updates on this thread for 2014?? Funny how the next generations go through the same struggles. I'll be going on away rotations in the summer and I'd like something comprehensive but manageable to read for preparation. I've always found that books like First Aid that are straight forward and give you the highest yield points/summaries of text books are great--saves so much time reading. Is Grabb + Smith worth the time/money or do the Michigan or UTSW manuals summarize those in a concise fashion so I can enjoy learning all the other details while in the office/OR? Also, which is better today? Mich or UTSW?

Thanks!

With regard to pocket books I have always preferred the UTSW essentials over the Michigan manual. Michigan always felt a little too bullet pointy and skimpy. It was also pretty out of the date by the time I was a subi (published in 2007?). Another consideration might be if you find out which pocketbook the residents use at your subis, then that is the resource they will be asking questions out of.

However both pocket books just came out with new versions so I'm not sure how many changes there are in both. You could probably get by with a first edition UTSW book but would definitely need a second edition Michigan manual if you chose to go that route.

Grabb and Smith was a little too much to read and digest on a busy subi. If you need more in depth knowledge there are always articles from PRS you can print out and read.