BOOKS for first years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maia

snoerkel
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

Any recommended books for first years, especially those in the 'Philippines?

thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

maia said:
Hi!

Any recommended books for first years, especially those in the 'Philippines?

thanks!!

well, it depends on what school u r going into. i suggest u ask the upper class men on their recommendations for 1st yr textbooks.

goodluck! :)

Just an advice, don't buy all the books on the booklist! :p

Members don't see this ad :)
hi maia! what school are you going to? some schools recommend different books for a particular subject such as physiology and anatomy. let us know what school you're going to so that we can tell you what books you'll be needing.

Good to ask one batch ahead of you (not the higher batches kasi baka paleolithic na ang mga coverage nila-- you know our profs update their materials yearly so the lectures of that one batch ahead would probably come close to what would be taught to your batch) what books helped them the most. You need not BUY all of the needed textbooks. Some books, you can BORROW. Most of the medical books are updated every three to five years. They would probably be outdated by the time you graduate. One or two references per subject is best. Don't buy a ton of references per subject..sayang 'coz you cannot read them all.

uhm, i was thinking more along the lines of, what are you guys buying or using in your schools?
what worked for you? or found real helpful?

btw, i'll be at a state u.

maia said:
uhm, i was thinking more along the lines of, what are you guys buying or using in your schools?
what worked for you? or found real helpful?

Hey.
Anatomy (Netter):Very helpful and really detailed. Will come in handy.
Physio (Berne and Leavy): This sucked. Dont buy! hard to read and so
boring. I recommend Guyton.
Biochem: (Lippencott's illustrated) Very good summaries but is only
a supplement text.
Neuroanatomy: My books were bad but i only relied on handouts
given in class.

Histo : Used Cabral Decent but too long of a read.

Psych: I forgot the author ... starts with an S. IT was actually very helpful. Its this thick blue book.

Just some advice. Dont worry when you start classes or before that you can go to the departments and they have a list of recommended books. Asking upperclassmen in your school will be a big plus! Good Luck

phlipsquad said:
Hey.
a supplement text.
given in class.

Psych: I forgot the author ... starts with an S. IT was actually very helpful. Its this thick blue book.

Just some advice. Dont worry when you start classes or before that you can go to the departments and they have a list of recommended books. Asking upperclassmen in your school will be a big plus! Good Luck

For anatomy i'd recommend a good dissected anatomy book. Forgot the name of it..but they didn't sell it but at certain places. But that one was way ass better than usign netter...since netter is like a drawing...the anatomy book i'm telling you about had dissected bodies which for me was better. (Hey mike what was it..you had a copy of this book as well...forgot the author.)

Also Cabral was for UST author so dunno if you'll need that.

Also the pscy one...forgot author also but it was blue book..that was good..had nice tables to memorize.

But ask your upper classmates..or your classmate..sometimes i remember some people xeroxing one book so it's cheaper for rest..and gettign it binded.

Also look around for good deals..sometiems the one selling up front weren't the cheapest. i bought mine from a couple of differnt sources since it was cheaper for some books with one source but another book that source was sellign was expensive..usualy one source has one or two cheaper book and rest expnsive. Sometimes students are sellign it also for discount..check that out. Also look in goodwill..someone told me it's cheap there but never checked.. or go to quiapo haha i saw somethere. and super mad cheap since some are just one version off. or a year off..just make sure since some books change year to year..but usually not big. i remember someone selling like a guyton one year older than the one out for more than 75% discount (but note some physio teacher hate that since it's really a underclass book) well at quiapo heheh walking around you'lls ee it or go to a book store there. But gl with it.

GoldenAzn said:
For anatomy i'd recommend a good dissected anatomy book. Forgot the name of it..but they didn't sell it but at certain places. But that one was way ass better than usign netter...since netter is like a drawing...the anatomy book i'm telling you about had dissected bodies which for me was better. (Hey mike what was it..you had a copy of this book as well...forgot the author.)

Also Cabral was for UST author so dunno if you'll need that.

Also the pscy one...forgot author also but it was blue book..that was good..had nice tables to memorize.

But ask your upper classmates..or your classmate..sometimes i remember some people xeroxing one book so it's cheaper for rest..and gettign it binded.

thanks!
so what books do you think can be photocopied or not? like anatomy or histo definetly should be original. but what books will do as copies? :)

phlipsquad said:
Hey.
a supplement text.
given in class.

Thanks for the advice.

Anatomy: Moore (textbook); Netter (atlas; drawings); or you could try McMinn (cadaver illustrations)
Histology: Junqueira (textbook); Wheater (atlas)
Physiology: Guyton (textbook); you could also try Tadlock or Ganong (as a supplement though, not as a main text)
Biochemistry: Lippincott or Harper; you can also try Digging Up the Bones (review)
Neuroanatomy: I only had a photocopy of Lansang's Neuroanatomy (borrow from friends studying at UE); or you could try Waxman's Neuroanatomy (skyblue book)

I don't recommend buying a Microbiology book like Zinsser or Jawetz. For Parasitology, you could try the textbook being used by UP-PGH. Don't bother with an international-published book because most of the questions being asked in the exam on parasitology deals with epidemiology in the local setting.

For Psychiatry: Synopsis of Psychiatry by Kaplan & Saddock; costs 2thou. Do not buy yet if you're planning to take up Psych residency 'coz by the time you enter residency they would have released a new edition already. I survived on photocopies.

Good luck on your studies!

maia said:
hey there ate maia! :)

so you're starting na sa med? congrats and i hope everything goes well for you! :)

If you're school is practicing PBL then the recommended books will be standard:

Anatomy: Gray's - but nobody actually reads this because its too long, most of us use Snell's instead. You absolutely need Netter's atlas.
Histology: Bloom - but it's ancient! Some schools don't even bother with this book despite the fact that it's recommended reading. However, in our school it was the Histo bible.
Physiology: Guyton - there are some topics more thoroughly explained by Ganong, but its a supplement, main text is still Guyton.
Biochemistry:Harper's - the 25th edition is more detailed than the 26th, so I prefer the 25th coz it's easier to understand. Besides, older editions are generally cheaper than the newer editions.
Neuroana: Carpenter's - but most of us relied on handouts

Good luck in Medschool! :D