book recommendations for genetic/molecular science?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chitown82

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey, can anyone recommend a good research oriented book that might cover identification of new genes/mutations, linkage analysis, RFLPs, etc. something that goes over the principles of these research techniques?

Members don't see this ad.

hey, can anyone recommend a good research oriented book that might cover identification of new genes/mutations, linkage analysis, RFLPs, etc. something that goes over the principles of these research techniques?
Are you a med student? If you are, this is going to sound crazy, but the 2006 High Yield Cell/Molecular Bio edition seems to have a nice, brief discussion of all the research techniques. It's the last chapter of the book. I'm not sure how useful it is for USMLE review, but it might be just what you need if you're looking for a brief overview of research techniques. If you're still an UG, I guess it might still be useful to you depending on your science background. Maybe try going to the library at your school and see if they have it?

thanks. im a med student and im looking more for textbooks on the principles/methodology of the techniques i mentioned (genetics lab techniques). im going to working on a genetics-heavy research project for a year so i wanted to get some working knowledge before starting. i found several online sites including a archived streaming grad class that i will review. anyone know of particular textbooks they have found helpful? and btw, HY cell/molecular bio book is excellent for boards (i preferred the old version...not the one that came out recently)