Bone Scan vs PET Imaging Spin-Off

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Playing with MSKCC Nomograms, the PPV will usually be quite low due to low pre test probability of nodes.

It takes a patient with a PSA of 25, GG5 disease in 10/12 cores, and ct3b disease to get a 75% change of LN involvement and thus a high PPV.

Take a more typical patient, GG3 disease in 4 cores, PSA 10, cT2a. That’s a 15% incidence and thus a quite low PPV.
I note that current NCCN guidelines will admit PSMAs for as low as ~8-10% incidence.

I actually had breakfast from a Pylarify rep this AM; he didn't understand the "incidence limitations" of PSMA at all.

Members don't see this ad.

So it is easy to analyze the **** out of a question like this.... and get pretty far into the weeds.

As a simpleton, here is my take...

If PSMA-PET's specificity is no lower than CT A/P (vis a vis LN) and bone scan (vis a vis bone mets), and PSMA-PET's sensitivity is higher than these respective studies, why shouldn't it replace CT A/P and bone scan? If specificity of PSMA-PET is, indeed, lower, then there is a reason for debate.

Does anyone know how PSMA-PET's specificity compares to bone scan and CT?

So it is easy to analyze the **** out of a question like this.... and get pretty far into the weeds.

If PSMA-PET's specificity is no lower than CT A/P (vis a vis LN) and bone scan (vis a vis bone mets), and PSMA-PET's sensitivity is higher than these respective studies, why shouldn't it replace CT A/P and bone scan? If specificity of PSMA-PET is, indeed, lower, then there is a reason for debate.

As someone who interprets both, it has to be more sensitive because of the characteristics of the test. You can have very avid subcentimeter nodes that would never be called on CT. Happens all the time. But whether they are true or false positive is very hard to know. I’m inclined to say they are true positive, but that’s my gestalt as a rad.

Unless these tiny nodes are being biopsied (extremely technically challenging to do), it’s hard to know the real test performance.

I am following any and all bone lesions we find in our practice to see if psma is finding mets prior to their being apparent on mri.

Some of the bone lesions I’ve seen on PETMR are very subtle, but those were with abdominal
MR sequences, not bone specific so I wonder if a T1 bone sequence would show the lesions or not. Other bone lesions are not specific and have imaging characteristics of something else: hemangioma, fibrous dysplasia, or other findings. I would say psma is less specific for bone but no less specific than bone scan as bone scan could have uptake to these entities as well.

At least you guys are getting CT up front; 2 places I’ve practiced before didn’t even get CTAP prior to definitive therapy in a lot of cases.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

It's not so much CT and bone scan per se, and why I was harping on N+; I had MRI in mind. IIRC I have seen data that the sensitivity for MRI can be better than PSMA for nodes. I think PSMA will be felt as superior for bone staging in long run.

It is very weed-y.

Reactions: 1 user
It's not so much CT and bone scan per se, and why I was harping on N+; I had MRI in mind. IIRC I have seen data that the sensitivity for MRI can be better than PSMA for nodes. I think PSMA will be felt as superior for bone staging in long run.

It is very weed-y.
That's interesting... I never really think of MRI as being the go-to modality for LN, except for maybe in the mesorectum. Then again, it's been a few since I treated a prostate

As someone who interprets both, it has to be more sensitive because of the characteristics of the test. You can have very avid subcentimeter nodes that would never be called on CT. Happens all the time. But whether they are true or false positive is very hard to know. I’m inclined to say they are true positive, but that’s my gestalt as a rad.

Unless these tiny nodes are being biopsied (extremely technically challenging to do), it’s hard to know the real test performance.

I am following any and all bone lesions we find in our practice to see if psma is finding mets prior to their being apparent on mri.

Some of the bone lesions I’ve seen on PETMR are very subtle, but those were with abdominal
MR sequences, not bone specific so I wonder if a T1 bone sequence would show the lesions or not. Other bone lesions are not specific and have imaging characteristics of something else: hemangioma, fibrous dysplasia, or other findings. I would say psma is less specific for bone but no less specific than bone scan as bone scan could have uptake to these entities as well.

At least you guys are getting CT up front; 2 places I’ve practiced before didn’t even get CTAP prior to definitive therapy in a lot of cases.
This is Ga68, which is not F18-PSMA

But, PPV was 74%-88% depending on which patients (all or the reasonable subsets they evaluated). Meaning of 100 PET avid lymph nodes, 74-88 of them were deemed 'real' at time of surgery.

This is Ga68, which is not F18-PSMA

But, PPV was 74%-88% depending on which patients (all or the reasonable subsets they evaluated). Meaning of 100 PET avid lymph nodes, 74-88 of them were deemed 'real' at time of surgery.
The inquiry was not specific. PSMA vs CT, bone scan

As far as comparing Ga68 and F18 a few papers are in this thread

From the conclusion

"Since it seems at least challenging for most nuclear medicine departments to provide both [18F]-F-PSMA-1007 and [68Ga]-Ga-PSMA-11, it appears reasonable to choose the PSMA radiotracer depending on local availability with attention to the greater occurrence of nonspecific bone findings with [18F]-F-PSMA-1007."

I think most of the early reports of MDT were with Ga68 but it seems clear that F18 is more likely to have false-positives especially in bone.

Reactions: 1 users
The inquiry was not specific. PSMA vs CT, bone scan

As far as comparing Ga68 and F18 a few papers are in this thread

From the conclusion

"Since it seems at least challenging for most nuclear medicine departments to provide both [18F]-F-PSMA-1007 and [68Ga]-Ga-PSMA-11, it appears reasonable to choose the PSMA radiotracer depending on local availability with attention to the greater occurrence of nonspecific bone findings with [18F]-F-PSMA-1007."

I think most of the early reports of MDT were with Ga68 but it seems clear that F18 is more likely to have false-positives especially in bone.
Because there are so many candidate PSMA tracers, you have to be specific in which ligand/radiopharmaceutical pair you are talking about. They all have slightly different biodistributions which have impacts on diagnostic performance.

My experience is with F18-PYL: meh performance in prostate bed if prior prostatectomy due to urinary uptake, good performance for bone, and excellent nodal performance. The other agent that I've been hearing good things about is rhPSMA, but I've not seen many scans for it. Ga68-PSMA11 does have more false positive bone uptake.

The other thing that I'm not sure even has been fully investigated is the effect of using resolution recovery image reconstruction techniques for these tiny lymph nodes (GE's QClear)

Last edited:
Everyone stop the madness. We already massively over-engineered breast cancer. Please done ruin prostate for me 😢

Seriously though, it’s the Wild West. Now that PYL PETs are reimbursed, we do get them for salvage cases but it’s not immediately clear what to do with them. Pelvic nodes are easier to “believe” and the data for PYL in nodes is pretty good. I have one case where we found a lung met in a very low risk setting. I was sure it was a lung primary but no, wedged it out and it was PRCa. Bone uptake goes with a lot of hand waving. IMO, at this point they are really only better than conventional imaging for assessing avidity in small nodes we would normally ignore. Not sure they routinely find osseous or visceral lesions a good radiologist couldn’t find with CT and BS. So far, I am confident I have spent significantly more time chasing down rabbit holes than finding anything that drastically changed my plan. I am not sour on them. I think they are the future. Just need more time to iron out how to interpret them and figure out what to do with the information. Kinda like…ctDNA.

Reactions: 2 users
RT to prostate for T2a, Gl 3+3 in 1 out of 12 cores, PSA 6, s/p lung metastectomy? What says the group?
Absolutely I would have agreed with you in that setting but I didn’t mean NCCN low risk. I meant relatively low risk in the salvage setting with a biochemical recurrence (initially IR, long disease free interval, PSA 0.5 with doubling time right at a year). After the metastatectomy PSA was undetectable so I never treated the prostate bed. Still following. I do think the PET helped here. We would have seen the met on a CT (if we imaged the chest) but it was small (maybe 6 mm) and he didn’t have any recent comparisons. It would have fallen into the indeterminate category for sure. But as I said above, this is the minority. I have far more “it’s probably nothing” or benign biopsies than this one game changing case.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also notice in the OSPREY cohort A, PSMA PET for pelvic nodes >5mm had a higher sensitivity (60%), so NPV was boosted about 10% (absolute).
You know the amazing thing about PSMA PET? Despite everything written, it is still better than anything else for staging

Axumin isn't bad and is more available than psma in my area

You need good techs to get the scan time nailed. The problem with Axumin these days is that the CMS passthrough period has ended. This is the most asinine piece of policy regarding radiotracers; you guys think CMS hates you, just wait till you see how much they hate PETCT...

Every Fluciclovine scan loses about $2000-2500 as the tracer is not reimbursed by Medicare. Some private carriers will pay for it, but others follow CMS and refuse to pay. A dose of Fluciclovine is around $4600. PYL PSMA is about the same ballpark, but is in the passthrough period, so CMS will pay for the tracer.

This is why I think Cu64-Dotatate was invented; to create a new passthrough.

You need good techs to get the scan time nailed. The problem with Axumin these days is that the CMS passthrough period has ended. This is the most asinine piece of policy regarding radiotracers; you guys think CMS hates you, just wait till you see how much they hate PETCT...

Every Fluciclovine scan loses about $2000-2500 as the tracer is not reimbursed by Medicare. Some private carriers will pay for it, but others follow CMS and refuse to pay. A dose of Fluciclovine is around $4600. PYL PSMA is about the same ballpark, but is in the passthrough period, so CMS will pay for the tracer.

This is why I think Cu64-Dotatate was invented; to create a new passthrough.
Yes the reimbursement side for the tracer is very dicey, probably why I've seen a lot fewer centers doing it now compared to a few years ago

The problem again is not the data. It is how the data is used.

We developed over time using data and gestalt a standard of care in prostate cancer. People in the non metastatic bucket get local therapy if a candidate for it. People in metastatic bucket get systemic therapy plus or minus STAMPEDE local therapy. And outcomes are pretty good.

Now we have a new test. It puts some people from the local bucket into the metastatic bucket (sometimes incorrectly). But we have 0 evidence that the people who once were “local” but are now “metastatic” are better off for the transition, even if the test is more accurate at sorting them into buckets. In fact, I could make a strong argument that they are worse off if we treat a micrometastatic patient as we typically treat patients who are metastatic up front compared to a presumed local only patient.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
The problem again is not the data. It is how the data is used.

We developed over time using data and gestalt a standard of care in prostate cancer. People in the non metastatic bucket get local therapy if a candidate for it. People in metastatic bucket get systemic therapy plus or minus STAMPEDE local therapy. And outcomes are pretty good.

Now we have a new test. It puts some people from the local bucket into the metastatic bucket (sometimes incorrectly). But we have 0 evidence that the people who once were “local” but are now “metastatic” are better off for the transition, even if the test is more accurate at sorting them into buckets. In fact, I could make a strong argument that they are worse off if we treat a micrometastatic patient as we typically treat patients who are metastatic up front compared to a presumed local only patient.
Perhaps. Alternatively, a more accurate test will allow us to stage better, setting the stage for new more effective treatment paradigms. The transition may be tricky, but in the long run, knowing more is better.

We saw the same thing with PET staging for lung cancer… but on a much quicker time scale

Last edited:
More advanced imaging will lead to better staging and subsequent will rogers effect.

with a LN sens/spec of 40%/95%, and a ~10% risk of LN positivity w/ e.g. T3a Gl3+4 PSA 5 low-decipher prostate cancer pre-RP, I am calc'ing that this +PSMA PET could have a positive predictive value worse than a coin flip. (Coin flips are cheaper than PSMA scans I think?)

mDvoBk2.png

with a LN sens/spec of 40%/95%, and a ~10% risk of LN positivity w/ e.g. T3a Gl3+4 PSA 5 low-decipher prostate cancer pre-RP, I am calc'ing that this +PSMA PET could have a positive predictive value worse than a coin flip. (Coin flips are cheaper than PSMA scans I think?)

mDvoBk2.png

Can you use the pre treatment nomograms now in a post treatment setting with biochemical recurrence as a prediction for lymph node cancer incidence? This is an honest question. Intuitively it feels like mixing and matching data that isn’t applicable.

This is a negative node by CT / bone scan unless the radiologist has an intended 100% sensitivity (and I know how much people b*tch about rads who read that way).

Can you use the pre treatment nomograms now in a post treatment setting with biochemical recurrence as a prediction for lymph node cancer incidence? This is an honest question. Intuitively it feels like mixing and matching data that isn’t applicable.

This is a negative node by CT / bone scan unless the radiologist has an intended 100% sensitivity (and I know how much people b*tch about rads who read that way).
You *can* sure, lol, I just did. You have to make some best guess as to the pre-test probability here. I believe the incidence of true pLN+ in post-RP PSA<0.2 and basically a Gleason 3+4 w/ low Decipher and pT3a at RP would be in the 10% range. Others are welcome to make a higher estimate which will improve the PPV.

EDIT: based on currently published PSMA PET LN sens/spec, there needs to be a "belief" (I guess you could say) that the probability the patient has LN positivity before the scan is 11% or greater for the PPV to be better than a coin flip. The "cutoff" is 11%. This is why PSMA PET has been mostly recommended in higher risk settings: that helps the PPV not be so terrible.

B02uFqc.png

Last edited:

mDvoBk2.png
C'mon man... can't conflate pre-treatment nomogram with a recurrence 2-3 years after surgery..
Risk of LN positivity is way higher than 10% in this new cohort - FIR s/p RALP now with rising PSA. Way different from a FIR patient.

Your analysis supports not getting a PSMA-PET in a FIR patient pre-RP/pre-RT... which nobody is advocating for.

C'mon man... can't conflate pre-treatment nomogram with a recurrence 2-3 years after surgery..
Risk of LN positivity is way higher than 10% in this new cohort - FIR s/p RALP now with rising PSA. Way different from a FIR patient.

Your analysis supports not getting a PSMA-PET in a FIR patient pre-RP/pre-RT... which nobody is advocating for.
What is the risk of LN+ in a patient like this in the PSA recurrence <0.2 situation. I had to make some guess! Actually nomographically it's in the ~4% range pre-RP so I thought doubling the risk to ~10% was reasonable. But as I said I wanted some other guess but I didn't know where to look exactly. Dr. Collins has a patient with a rising PSA, but as mentioned it's in the <0.2 range (which I think is important), and it seems he's going to wholly rely on the PSMA scan to offer salvage RT. I.e., in Dr Collins' mind, and for the patient's treatment, the LN+ PPV for this scan was 100%. I know it's not 100%, though, and would like to know the probability people like Dr Collins (and I, once I start PSMA scanning) are making the wrong tx decision.

What is the risk of LN+ in a patient like this in the PSA recurrence <0.2 situation. I had to make some guess! Actually nomographically it's in the ~4% range pre-RP so I thought doubling the risk to ~10% was reasonable. But as I said I wanted some other guess but I didn't know where to look exactly. Dr. Collins has a patient with a rising PSA, but as mentioned it's in the <0.2 range (which I think is important), and it seems he's going to wholly rely on the PSMA scan to offer salvage RT. I.e., in Dr Collins' mind, and for the patient's treatment, the LN+ PPV for this scan was 100%. I know it's not 100%, though, and would like to know the probability people like Dr Collins (and I, once I start PSMA scanning) are making the wrong tx decision.

I do not know if data exists for BCRPC sensitivity and speciality. The closest I can find is this study which uses disease detection rate in men with biochemically recurrent disease and negative conventional imaging.

I don’t think it logically makes sense to assume the same percentage of nodal metastasis at baseline vs recurrence. This guy has maybe recurred (assuming PSA is actually elevated). Now he’s in the 10% population which presumably had metastatic disease at baseline.

I do not know if data exists for BCRPC sensitivity and speciality. The closest I can find is this study which uses disease detection rate in men with biochemically recurrent disease and negative conventional imaging.

I don’t think it logically makes sense to assume the same percentage of nodal metastasis at baseline vs recurrence. This guy has maybe recurred (assuming PSA is actually elevated). Now he’s in the 10% population which presumably had metastatic disease at baseline.

If we can’t make some educated guess about what his pre test LN+ probability is, a positive PSMA PET is almost uninterpretable.

If we can’t make some educated guess about what his pre test LN+ probability is, a positive PSMA PET is almost uninterpretable.
Agree but the numbers you are using make you sound like Evicore.

This guy is recurrent. He is not the same population as an initial staging patient, so it doesn’t make sense to assume 10% incidence of lymph node positivity.

The comparison should be PSMA vs conventional imaging. Conventional imaging in this case is negative. PSMA’s value here is giving you a potential target for surveillance should the patient opt for that or if you wanted to do local salvage to that single site.

A metaanalysis of prostate imaging agents has F18 PSMA at 58% detection rate for PSA less than 0.5. That’s pretty good; my own institutional experience with fluciclovine was 30% at that PSA level which we published in AJR. All these studies are done in a population of patients with negative conventional imaging.

Ultimately, do you want to find the mets or not? If not, stick with CT and Bone Scan. You’ll find them later in the natural history. Maybe it doesn’t matter, but with the newer agents, you can find them sooner.

Agree but the numbers you are using make you sound like Evicore.

This guy is recurrent. He is not the same population as an initial staging patient, so it doesn’t make sense to assume 10% incidence of lymph node positivity.

The comparison should be PSMA vs conventional imaging. Conventional imaging in this case is negative. PSMA’s value here is giving you a potential target for surveillance should the patient opt for that or if you wanted to do local salvage to that single site.

A metaanalysis of prostate imaging agents has F18 PSMA at 58% detection rate for PSA less than 0.5. That’s pretty good; my own institutional experience with fluciclovine was 30% at that PSA level which we published in AJR. All these studies are done in a population of patients with negative conventional imaging.

Ultimately, do you want to find the mets or not? If not, stick with CT and Bone Scan. You’ll find them later in the natural history. Maybe it doesn’t matter, but with the newer agents, you can find them sooner.
Mathematically none of this answered the question. I want to find mets, obviously. No test is perfect. If the pretest probabilities are infaust for a PSMA scan, and I think they might be for this patient, then the NPV of an MRI will be greater than the PPV of a PSMA scan in this scenario. For any diagnostic test, patient selection is key. Was this patient properly selected. Still no one has given one speck of a data based guess about the pretest LN+ here. It’s the KEY issue. Is a 10% isolated single LN+ pretest probability THAT bad of a guess for a guy with primary Gleason 3 and a low decipher and a sub 0.2 PSA.

Last edited:
Mathematically none of this answered the question. I want to find mets, obviously. No test is perfect. If the pretest probabilities are infaust for a PSMA scan, and I think they might be for this patient, then the NPV of an MRI will be greater than the PPV of a PSMA scan in this scenario. For any diagnostic test, patient selection is key. Was this patient properly selected. Still no one has given one speck of a data based guess about the pretest LN+ here. It’s the KEY issue. Is a 10% LN+ probability THAT bad of a guess for a guy with primary Gleason 3 and a low decipher and a sub 0.2 PSA.
Mathematically the data you want doesn't exist. Unless there is a nomogram for biochemically recurrent patients X years after definitive therapy stratified by tumor, Gleason, etc, it is unknown what the incidence is.

The MRI is very sensitive but what's your cutoff? 3 mm? 5 mm? 7 mm? A threshold must be established if you want to use anatomic imaging. This patient *has* an 8 mm node. MRI would find it just the same. Pretend the patient got an MRI instead. Now what? Will you order biopsies for all these patients so we can write it up?

Mathematically the data you want doesn't exist.
Well that’s something at least. No one has said that out loud; I don’t know how to use a test clinically unless I have an idea of its PPV and NPV. And to not be wordy I’ll just say I want those for Bayesian purposes. I don’t know how a sensitivity and specificity were calc’d for LN testing via PSMA PET if the (stratified) incidence(s) was unknown but so be it. I guess then the PPV of LN+ by PSMA scan is always … perfect?…

A lot of people are advocating for just that because it is “better staging”. I agree it is more useful in the rising PSA post primary therapy setting (and even then is more useful post RT), since ideally post RP patients are getting their therapy at PSA<0.2 at which point the PSMA will usually be negative.

1644383323602.png

Last edited:
A lot of people are advocating for just that because it is “better staging”. I agree it is more useful in the rising PSA post primary therapy setting (and even then is more useful post RT), since ideally post RP patients are getting their therapy at PSA<0.2 at which point the PSMA will usually be negative.

View attachment 349860
Writing “yes” in green increases the PPV for a PSMA positive LN by how much ;)

But in seriousness eg in lung, we respect the false positive rate of PETs and often do not stake treatment decisions on a positive PET but instead try to do additional tests (eg mediastinoscopy). We have some numerical guesses in mind as to why we do or don’t do those things. I am interested in the knowability of the PPV and or the false positive rate of a solitary 0.8 cm LN being positive by PSMA PET in a patient without glaringly high risk factors for N+. Biochemical recurrence is not traditionally a trigger to irradiate nodes, usually just prostate bed; now with a PSMA+ PET in a LN it is a trigger? So PSMA PETs have de facto established new standards of care. The psychiatrists always say “keep a dirty mind.” And writing yes in green or no in red or question marks shouldn’t deter healthy skepticism.

View attachment 349860

I think for unfavorable intermediate risk or high risk it's not unreasonable. Given that I don't even recommend CT or bone scan for FIR, I would not recommend PSMA PET. Basically, I advocate that CT/Bone scan be replaced by PSMA PET.

The fact that we are not, when a FDG PET for NSCLC is essentially a given... I just don't know.
There is no data in the space you are looking for, nor will there ever be. We do not have any historical data in a situation of somebody who already had RALP with those exact (or even FIR findings), had elevated PSA suggestive of recurrence, and then did a RPLND to see what percentage of patients now had LN disease. That is not a thing that happened.

At the end of the day, we can all pontificate until we're blue in the face about the PPV or not of a PSMA-avid LN in this scenario. Cut-off of 0.2 is archaic, but sure, could wait for the case in question to progress above 0.2, thus giving patient a lower chance of successful salvage with RT. But we followed the old AUA guidelines!!1

That being said, do you want to be the Rad Onc that gets a PSMA-PET, SEES a positive LN, and then purposefully doesn't treat it anyways?

If one (you, Wallnerus) wants to not get PSMA PET/CT, then don't bother. But I wonder if you also bother getting CT/Bone scan in your salvage patients.

There is no data in the space you are looking for, nor will there ever be. We do not have any historical data in a situation of somebody who already had RALP with those exact (or even FIR findings), had elevated PSA suggestive of recurrence, and then did a RPLND to see what percentage of patients now had LN disease. That is not a thing that happened.

At the end of the day, we can all pontificate until we're blue in the face about the PPV or not of a PSMA-avid LN in this scenario. Cut-off of 0.2 is archaic, but sure, could wait for the case in question to progress above 0.2, thus giving patient a lower chance of successful salvage with RT. But we followed the old AUA guidelines!!1

That being said, do you want to be the Rad Onc that gets a PSMA-PET, SEES a positive LN, and then purposefully doesn't treat it anyways?

If one (you, Wallnerus) wants to not get PSMA PET/CT, then don't bother. But I wonder if you also bother getting CT/Bone scan in your salvage patients.
I'm causing agita over wondering how likely a positive PSMA scan is truly positive. I had no idea the general consensus would be "Who knows." One of the most important things we do in medicine is when ordering a diagnostic test, have an idea of the likelihood of the condition before the test and an idea of the likelihood of the condition after the test. Many, many (statistically pontificating) articles have been written on this and it's sort of med school 101. I *do not* want to be the rad onc that orders PSMA PETs and sees things, at least not in certain scenarios. If the urologist in my group orders a PSMA PET with the first rise in PSA and sees a spot and tells me "irradiate the spot," whereas that irradiation would not have been considered standard of care without the PSMA PET... yeah, I got questions. I don't want to be inappropriately seduced.

I'm causing agita over wondering how likely a positive PSMA scan is truly positive. I had no idea the general consensus would be "Who knows." One of the most important things we do in medicine is when ordering a diagnostic test, have an idea of the likelihood of the condition before the test and an idea of the likelihood of the condition after the test. Many, many (statistically pontificating) articles have been written on this and it's sort of med school 101. I *do not* want to be the rad onc that orders PSMA PETs and sees things, at least not in certain scenarios. If the urologist in my group orders a PSMA PET with the first rise in PSA and sees a spot and tells me "irradiate the spot," whereas that irradiation would not have been considered standard of care without the PSMA PET... yeah, I got questions. I don't want to be inappropriately seduced.

I don’t understand why you love MRI and are so distrustful of psma? You state you trust MRI NPV. What about when the MRI has a node that is borderline by size criteria? Nothing about MRI is “better” than even CT. The biggest increase in detection of nodes is that you have a substantially smaller field of view. If you reconstructed a CT at Prostate MR FOV, you’d find small nodes too.

The psma petct has anatomic info too. It’s an 8 mm node with uptake. It’s not like the result is “positive vs negative”. You have imaging information here too. It’s a node in the expected drainage pathway etc etc.

You never answered before: if an MRI had been ordered and showed the same result (8 mm node) in this patient with biochemical recurrence, what would you do? The patient is 2-3 years postop so it’s unlikely to be post op reactive by this point. You still hedge? Not believe the mri?

I don’t understand why you love MRI and are so distrustful of psma? You state you trust MRI NPV. What about when the MRI has a node that is borderline by size criteria? Nothing about MRI is “better” than even CT. The biggest increase in detection of nodes is that you have a substantially smaller field of view. If you reconstructed a CT at Prostate MR FOV, you’d find small nodes too.

The psma petct has anatomic info too. It’s an 8 mm node with uptake. It’s not like the result is “positive vs negative”. You have imaging information here too. It’s a node in the expected drainage pathway etc etc.

You never answered before: if an MRI had been ordered and showed the same result (8 mm node) in this patient with biochemical recurrence, what would you do? The patient is 2-3 years postop so it’s unlikely to be post op reactive by this point. You still hedge? Not believe the mri?
“Why are you so distrustful of PSMA?” If I could have data that would inform me about the PPV of a +PSMA PET I could answer your question. At the end of the day no one is showing any likely reason to disbelieve that the PPV is about 50% here.

PSMA is changing the standard of care for PCa BCR in radiation oncology and we don’t have a good idea of its positive predictive value. the patient “bought” both radiation and nodal/pelvic RT with this scan. Same patient in another clinic that never gets PSMA scan will be getting just prostate bed only RT. On the off chance I would get an MRI in a 0.17 PSA recurrence and saw an 8 mm node, I would not make a treatment decision based on that, no. OTOH why would I get an MRI? I do not routinely order for salvage RT. I mention the MRI only because I have seen better sensitivity and specificity values for nodes mentioned for MRI scans. (TBH tho the MRI data is not clearly better of course.)

When I meet with the PSMA company reps, they always fall back on “but it significantly changes management decisions in all these cases.” That statement, alone and by itself, is problematic.

“Why are you so distrustful of PSMA?” If I could have data that would inform me about the PPV of a +PSMA PET I could answer your question. At the end of the day no one is showing any likely reason to disbelieve that the PPV is about 50% here.

PSMA is changing the standard of care for PCa BCR in radiation oncology and we don’t have a good idea of its positive predictive value. the patient “bought” both radiation and nodal/pelvic RT with this scan. Same patient in another clinic that never gets PSMA scan will be getting just prostate bed only RT. On the off chance I would get an MRI in a 0.17 PSA recurrence and saw an 8 mm node, I would not make a treatment decision based on that, no. OTOH why would I get an MRI? I do not routinely order for salvage RT. I mention the MRI only because I have seen better sensitivity and specificity values for nodes mentioned for MRI scans. (TBH tho the MRI data is not clearly better of course.)

When I meet with the PSMA company reps, they always fall back on “but it significantly changes management decisions in all these cases.” That statement, alone and by itself, is problematic.
The problem is that the "endpoint" to date associated with "research" of these tests have been very weak ones like "changes management decisions", PPV or NPV.

The real proof of the value of this test will be to demonstrate improved patient outcomes when incorporating the information from the test.

The EMPIRE-1 trial (Lancet 2021, Ashesh Jani PI) is the first proof of principle and the subsequent trial (EMPIRE-2) compares flucyclovine to PSMA but these are biochemical endpoints.

Improvement in clinically meaningful endpoints like metastases and mortality are almost impossible to prove in this context.

FDA approval of imaging doesn't require these endpoints and the vendors know it. Patients and many doctors will continue to demand tests like these and the SOC will gradually evolve.

Why is it problematic?
It’s a new test with no clinical track record that doctors are using to determine if and where people have cancer in these gray zone situations and hasn’t been externally validated, and furthermore clinicians appear resigned to call it un-validatable in certain situations versus accepted gold standards. Given these uncertainties, it’s still being used to deviate treatments from the standard of care… and this appears to be its selling point.

Okay but if the PSMA shows disease outside of the classic toilet bowl salvage bed, then doing standard post op treatment WOULD be wrong.

Use the calculator - salvage works but far from all the time. We are just using imaging to improve our efficacy by picking who we should be treating or how we should be treating them.

How do you externally validate metastatic disease? We can argue about NPV and PPV but at the end of the day, PSMA does show us disease, does turn old non metastatic into new metastatic, bottom line

Okay but if the PSMA shows disease outside of the classic toilet bowl salvage bed, then doing standard post op treatment WOULD be wrong.

Use the calculator - salvage works but far from all the time. We are just using imaging to improve our efficacy by picking who we should be treating or how we should be treating them.

How do you externally validate metastatic disease? We can argue about NPV and PPV but at the end of the day, PSMA does show us disease, does turn old non metastatic into new metastatic, bottom line
Is it “the bottom line”? How many times has a positive PET in the chest for lung cancer borne no fruit pathologically. For me, many times. Or positive PETs under the armpit in breast.

I get it’s a fraught topic. What I don’t get is the wholesale swallowing of the PSMA party line.

Is it “the bottom line”? How many times has a positive PET in the chest for lung cancer borne no fruit pathologically. For me, many times. Or positive PETs under the armpit in breast.

I get it’s a fraught topic. What I don’t get is the wholesale swallowing of the PSMA party line.

Like literally any other imaging test we do - it requires interpretation, possible confirmation, discussion, taking into account the overall picture

It’s just like any other test

Were you anti PET staging in lung cancer too? Do you not get MRI brain scans?

Last edited:
and to be clear - I fully acknowledge the issues and concerns and learning curve we have with this scan. But fact is (just like circulating tumor cells/cell free DNA) - this type of stuff is fantastic information to have, and while it may confuse us now, as we get better with it, they are absolute game changers

we should wish we had a blood based assay like PSA and functional imaging like PSMA or even cell free HPV DNA in every disease site. this is the future, this is the way

how many times has a patient asked - can't we see this on a scan? well we are getting there.

Were you anti PET staging in lung cancer too?
I have an idea of PET sensitivity and specificity for nodes in lung cancer. The quoted sensitivity for nodes in PSMA PET is 40%. That’s not great! It means what you’re testing for should be rather likely (and the specificity needs to be A+ high) before you run the test or you will have a >50% chance of a false positive. People are “anti” PSMA in prostate too; but depends on risk stratification. Looking at “appropriate” vs “inappropriate” for PSMA PET, it can mean the difference between one less positive core in some patients.

Last edited:
I've started getting PSMA scans and the imaging quality is not at all impressive.
Lots of uptake in the bladder, but known prostate lesions are stone cold.
Anyone has similar experience?

I've started getting PSMA scans and the imaging quality is not at all impressive.
Lots of uptake in the bladder, but known prostate lesions are stone cold.
Anyone has similar experience?
No one wants to hear me say this but I will anyways. In a population where you have the god like knowledge of knowing almost everyone has the condition (“known prostate lesions” as you say), the rate of false negatives approaches 1 minus sensitivity; so when sensitivity is low (as it is in PSMA PET), false negatives can be more common than to what we might ordinarily be accustomed.