Bone mets

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted314957

Hello folks, visiting from the path board. I am currently 69 and have a 3c 4+4 prostate cancer which will probably get me. I saw too many folks with bone mets and pain and it ain’t gonna happen to me. Can hospice , routinely and without it being a big deal with the pharmacies, etc. provide excellent control of pain from bone mets. I am concerned about this so much because it seems to take an act of congress and the DEA and the pharmacy cabal to get a couple hydrocodones for a root canal. It really concerns me. I would prefer to die at home.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello folks, visiting from the path board. I am currently 69 and have a 3c 4+4 prostate cancer which will probably get me. I saw too many folks with bone mets and pain and it ain’t gonna happen to me. Can hospice , routinely and without it being a big deal with the pharmacies, etc. provide excellent control of pain from bone mets. I am concerned about this so much because it seems to take an act of congress and the DEA and the pharmacy cabal to get a couple hydrocodones for a root canal. It really concerns me. I would prefer to die at home.

Hello,

Thanks for sharing and I certainly wish all that you wrote wasn't the case.

You would be well-served to get established with a palliative physician now -- even if asymptomatic currently.

This is severalfold in reason:

First, it is much nicer to get established with a team when the water is calm --in hopes of avoiding the scenario where a full blown storm strikes and THEN trying to get [symptomatic] rescue from scratch. Not the best route to take.

Your team will get to know you now: your aims, your goals, and what worries you. They will help you navigate the decision of treatment if that is still on the table for you -- or if not, then they will help with your transition to benefit from hospice services when the time arises. There are all sorts of hospice agencies out there and the great majority are fantastic, some are predatory. It is nice for you to have your palliative doc's feedback help guide your decision regarding local agencies. That said, in my book, you with only that diagnosis are not hospice eligible at this time. Granted that does vary slightly depending on the individual medical director's framing of your condition and how aggressive or liberal the agency wants to be with interpreting guidelines -- but at least at my organization you are not, it is folks with stage 4 disease.

That said, again, you are not left hanging necessarily, because, with the cancer diagnosis present, it should be the pleasure of any palliative clinic to meet with you and they offer the same level of symptomatic support.

Hospice is just a flavor within the house of palliative medicine.

Both palliative docs and hospice docs have some leniency from roadblocks with prescribing for cancer-related pain. That said, there are a number of adjuvants to try first which would hopefully help you avoid opioid-related side effects as long as possible -- esp with bone mets. Hydrocodone is crap IMO. If someone requires an opioid, treat with an opioid -- if tylenol is being used as an adjuvant to support the opioid then keep it out of the same pill and treat with appropriate doses of tylenol.

Hospice aligns nicely with your current goal of dying at home...granted that is not a prerequisite for hospice care. Also perhaps you know this already, but the term "routine" means a specific level of care when it comes to hospice (routine care, continuous, inpatient, respite). When someone is enrolled in hospice services, all those levels of care are available to them -- however, which degree being received depends on their current symptom burden and steps needed to get things under control. So you don't need to worry about finding a hospice that can provide "routine care" as they all do, as they do all the other levels too.

To answer your question at face value: yes hospice services can provide excellent pain relief from bone mets for folks at end of life. However, that is not always able to be achieved in the home setting. For example, ketamine/lidocaine/PCA's etc are rarely done outside the hospital [in the USA]. Also, it should not be the goal to get you/keep you pain-free (0/10) that is an impossible target, and instead, the goal should be to keep your pain manageable levels where you can still function and enjoy your hobbies/life. You control your pain, the pain doesn't control you.

The overarching philosophy for hospice would be to get you living as well as possible as long as possible -- but not to necessarily to live as long as possible (i.e. disease directed curative therapies). On the other hand, if someone still wants to seek curative therapies, they see the palliative team where they can get great symptomatic care while still getting their chemo/radiation/etc.

Anyway, you would be well-served by visiting a palliative doc and are welcome to PM me to discuss more as this might get locked as a "medical advice" thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Hi there.
Frazier beat me to it.
Former EM, now full time hospice doc here - and he covered the bases very well.
I'll second his "hydrocodone is crap" comment.
We have far more liberty with pain control than the typical physician, even the pain clinics, as the primary indication for opiates is indeed cancer-related pain and we are exempt from much of the regulatory crap. Not only that, but we have many tricks up our proverbial sleeves to emphasize quality of life and give a significant degree of control back to YOU. I find that medicine in general doesn't do shared decision making well, which is something I personally find incredibly valuable walking this journey with patients.

As far as qualifying for hospice, I do certifications, but with your staging, you don't sound like you're there (I had to go back and reread... I thought you HAD bone mets at first, so the following is for future reference). The actual qualifier is a palliative performace scale of less than 70%, metastatic disease and basically discontinuation of aggressive therapy (there's some wiggle room there.) You can google PPS easily.

There are many flavors of hospice, and it sounds like starting with Palliative may be your best bet. If you have questions down the road, you are welcome to PM any questions.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you doctor’s. Your insights have been very useful. Thankfully, at this time, I am asymptomatic and you cannot improve on that. I will hook up with a palliative doc early if this progresses as expected.

Hi there.
Frazier beat me to it.
Former EM, now full time hospice doc here - and he covered the bases very well.
I'll second his "hydrocodone is crap" comment.
We have far more liberty with pain control than the typical physician, even the pain clinics, as the primary indication for opiates is indeed cancer-related pain and we are exempt from much of the regulatory crap. Not only that, but we have many tricks up our proverbial sleeves to emphasize quality of life and give a significant degree of control back to YOU. I find that medicine in general doesn't do shared decision making well, which is something I personally find incredibly valuable walking this journey with patients.

As far as qualifying for hospice, I do certifications, but with your staging, you don't sound like you're there (I had to go back and reread... I thought you HAD bone mets at first, so the following is for future reference). The actual qualifier is a palliative performace scale of less than 70%, metastatic disease and basically discontinuation of aggressive therapy (there's some wiggle room there.) You can google PPS easily.

There are many flavors of hospice, and it sounds like starting with Palliative may be your best bet. If you have questions down the road, you are welcome to PM any questions.
Hi, I am a current PGY-3 in the process of applying for an HPM fellowship. I saw that you were also trained in emergency medicine. What decided to make you leave EM and pursue hospice full-time?

@Frazier and @drchristismi said it beautifully. Never too early to speak with palliative care just to understand process and get their excellent recommendations.

Coming from the RO side I will say there are several hospices out there that allow for palliative services from radiation for bone mets. Additionally we now have robust data that pain relief can be achieved with one fraction sessions (shorter duration of response as trade off) so the time burden for patients is also dramatically reduced.

For my HPM folks I always separate my opioid/APAP prescriptions as was mentioned. For cancer related pain where opioids may help what is the first go to assuming not hydrocodone/etc.? There are many situations where it takes some time for me to convince patients and families to speak with palliative care even when we are not referring for hospice services as the stigma and perception is unfortunately pervasive.

Thanks all!

Reactions: 1 user
Palliative Care physicians often work with social workers & pharmacists and are thus especially (perhaps uniquely) attuned to not just selecting the right treatments for metastatic boney pain, but also making sure to pick it in a route that you can take, managing your side effects, and making sure your insurance will cover the treatment.

The answer to your question is an unequivocal "yes". Good for you for thinking about your quality of life as you begin this journey.

Just wasting time and passed through here and saw this.... I'm assuming by "3c" you mean Stage IIIC? That means disease is limited to the prostate and is not in the lymph nodes or shows evidence of metastatic disease. You should absolutely not be worried about hospice at this time. Stage IIIC is very curable. I'm actually starting a patient on treatment this week who has Stage IVA prostate cancer (due to positive lymph nodes) and we are giving him curative treatment.

We are not really supposed to be giving medical advice here but I would recommend you self-refer to a radiation oncologist for evaluation. Preferably one free from private equity or corporate influence... like an academic center or reputable community hospital.

Take a look at NCCN for prostate. You have to make an account but its free:

I agree with all other posters it is very important to have palliative care involved early, but you may be misinformed about the outcomes of this stage of prostate cancer.

Feel free to PM me if you like.

[Edited to delete medical advice]

Last edited: