Bombed MCAT -- Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wannabedoc89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I scored a 26Q (8 PS, 8 VR, 10 BS). This was disappointing after averaging 29-31 on 5 consecutive exams before the real test. I know the initial response will be to tell me to retake the exam, but I have already made a commitment to my employer to work this summer. Restarting the whole MCAT process is also something I don't really want to do.my state I'm an OK resident. Do I have a chance of acceptance at Oklahoma with a good gpa/bad MCAT?

I've researched Osteopathic medicine and OMM is not something that really interests me, so I'd really prefer OUHSC acceptance if I can.

My cGPA is 3.86. My major is Business, but I have a sGPA: 3.91 (All A's, but one B in a chem II class that I got an 89% in!!). I've taken several upper level to prove my abilities (biochem, genetics, cell and molec, physiology).

I have outstanding ECs and have excellent LOR from Mayo trained immunologist who has been a mentor for me. Here are some of my EC:

-Medical mission trip to Colombia
-Medical mission trip to Bolivia
-Medical mission trip to Honduras
-100+ volunteering hours in Emergency room
-200+ shadowing hours
-Serve on leadership staff at a local church based youth ministry
-Served as officer for several pre-health organizations

I have been told my multiple editors in the pre-health department that my personal statement is above average in expressing my desires to pursue medicine.

Thank you for any advice or encouraging acetodal evidence!

Members don't see this ad.

26 is probably too low for MD, but you can try. You should be good for DO, but you need a DO LOR.

Get out of your commitment to your employer and restudy for the MCAT

Future Career > Summer Job

Get out of your commitment to your employer and restudy for the MCAT

Future Career > Summer Job

This.

Talk with your employer and tell them of your predicament, I'm sure they'll be understanding.