Bombay Hindi slang

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
priyanka said:
For example, I love the sweetness of bengali. I d love to learn it..and their culture. I think they have a very nice cultural singing background or maybe its just that I love saurav ganguly? lol, FYI hes a cricketer..

yeah definitely, we bengalis are the best singers.

kishore kumar, hemant kumar, manna dey, kumar sanu, babul supriyo, shaan, shreya ghosal, oh and me, just to name a few.

Members don't see this ad.

1hotaartichoke said:
im hindu punjabi...so i take no offense to those! :D
Considering the normal level of compassion, acceptance and the usual PC stuff on this forum, I'm surprised that nobody has spoken out against the numerous derisive comments about sardars.
Come on people...haven't we come past the realization that perpetuating false stereotypes about any group, sardars, blondes, hindus, muslims, gays is not only offensive but wrong at so many levels.
I don't mean to impose a higher morality on you all. But when things get so bad, I felt I should get my lazy as to put to up a post.
And as far as correcting the sardar stereotype: sure Punjabis love to get drunk and party hard. But doesn't everyone? Or should I remind you that a large portion of Indian defense services are sardars. Or that the many of farmers who have made India self-sufficent are sardars. And if I'm not mistaken, the current Indian Prime Minister is also a sardar. And no he isn't another one of the Laloo Prasad Yadav brand of politicians. The man holds a PhD from an elite university. I could give more examples, but I wouldn't want to further insult the intelligence of people who follow this forum. I think if you are going to get, this should be enough.
So yeah I get offended when people make jokes about Sardars or any other group for that matter...and it pisses me off that nobody else has found this equally repulsive.
K

sinnah83 said:
Considering the normal level of compassion, acceptance and the usual PC stuff on this forum, I'm surprised that nobody has spoken out against the numerous derisive comments about sardars.
Come on people...haven't we come past the realization that perpetuating false stereotypes about any group, sardars, blondes, hindus, muslims, gays is not only offensive but wrong at so many levels.
I don't mean to impose a higher morality on you all. But when things get so bad, I felt I should get my lazy as to put to up a post.
And as far as correcting the sardar stereotype: sure Punjabis love to get drunk and party hard. But doesn't everyone? Or should I remind you that a large portion of Indian defense services are sardars. Or that the many of farmers who have made India self-sufficent are sardars. And if I'm not mistaken, the current Indian Prime Minister is also a sardar. And no he isn't another one of the Laloo Prasad Yadav brand of politicians. The man holds a PhD from an elite university. I could give more examples, but I wouldn't want to further insult the intelligence of people who follow this forum. I think if you are going to get, this should be enough.
So yeah I get offended when people make jokes about Sardars or any other group for that matter...and it pisses me off that nobody else has found this equally repulsive.
K

the only reference to "sardar" i've seen here is the dan singh joke. and that was very tame.

Members don't see this ad :)
CaptainJack02 said:
the only reference to "sardar" i've seen here is the dan singh joke. and that was very tame.

and it in no way was negative towards sardars....

PublicEnemy said:
hell yeah, bengali pride. sourav ganguly is my boy. captain,the prince of calcutta, dada, he's my neighbor in india.

Dude, thats cool..... You wont believe this, but Sachin Tendulkar lives down the street from us... Infact he and I played in the same club as kids.... (I usually tend to leave out the part where he was playing for the mens team at age 12 while I as a scrawny 7 yr old was still trying to get over the fear of the season ball :laugh: )

But seriously, who knew he would be playing test cricket 4 years later...

AMMD said:
Dude, thats cool..... You wont believe this, but Sachin Tendulkar lives down the street from us... Infact he and I played in the same club as kids.... (I usually tend to leave out the part where he was playing for the mens team at age 12 while I as a scrawny 7 yr old was still trying to get over the fear of the season ball :laugh: )

But seriously, who knew he would be playing test cricket 4 years later...

WOW...is all I can say!!!!

CaptainJack02 said:

Also, every educated person knows that Sardars are really good businessmen.
Their entrepreneurial skills and courage are well known - they make for tough soldiers.
So just chill ;)