Bomb the interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aberfly

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I am interested in a deferment (for spousal health reasons), what advice do you have as to my military interview? Should I purposefully bomb (or at least not try my best during) the interview in hopes that I don't stand out and am therefore not selected?
Appreciate any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Aberfly said:
If I am interested in a deferment (for spousal health reasons), what advice do you have as to my military interview? Should I purposefully bomb (or at least not try my best during) the interview in hopes that I don't stand out and am therefore not selected?
Appreciate any advice.

I don't know which branch you are in or what specialty you are applying for, but in the AF deferments were competitive. If you are AF, I wouldn't recommend that approach otherwise you might end up like I did-a GMO schmuck. Be honest during the interview, tell them that you eat, drink and breathe the specialty but for personal reasons prefer a deferment.

Aberfly said:
Appreciate any advice.

You probably should have thought of that before you made a deal with the devil.

Members don't see this ad :)
Aberfly said:
Appreciate any advice.

Do not bomb the interview! You never know- it could really hurt you further on down the road. (They could decide not to give a military OR a civilian deferment and you could be off to do your GMO! My advice would be to just tell the truth during the interview. You have a good reason. They're not horrible people and they will try to work with you if they can.

IMHO, the only advantage a deferrment is going to give you is geography.

Here are a few points to consider:

1. The military will only give you a 1 year deferral. As Island Doc stated, after that is complete you will be shipped off to GMO land.
2. The military is like the borg. Everyone looks the same, wears the same clothes etc. If you come from outside the system you stick out like a green thumb.
3. Your family members will have 100% of their healthcare costs covered by Tricare Prime. As an intern, you will most likely train at a large MTF where your family will have access to just about any kind of specialty care imaginable.
4. Do the best you can during the interview and be honest about your career plans. If you don't come across well they can stick you in an unfilled intern spot. They will fill their own spots before they start giving out deferrals.

Tell us a little more about your situation and we can help.

Talk to someone about a humanitarian assignment. Helping place you where you're geographically needed is something the military can do.

militarymd said:
You probably should have thought of that before you made a deal with the devil.

Pretty hard to know exactly what the devil "wants" when you sign up as a pre-med--and perhaps the deal with the devil sounded good at the time (i.e single applicant, thinking different specialties, wanting "adventure" blah blah blah). Many things can happen in four years including finding the "right" person, new life experiences etc. etc. etc. This is my main gripe with the HPSP--you have NO idea what the future you are mortgaging away is really going to be AND if you don't know about this forum the picture painted for you by the military is pretty rosy.

To the OP, do NOT bomb your interviews! Do exactly what island doc said and say all the right things about the specialty and the military then emphasize the reasons why you are applying for a deferment (I'm assuming your applying for a full-deferment). In the past people were very understanding.

Good luck.

Disse said:
Pretty hard to know exactly what the devil "wants" when you sign up as a pre-med--and perhaps the deal with the devil sounded good at the time (i.e single applicant, thinking different specialties, wanting "adventure" blah blah blah). Many things can happen in four years including finding the "right" person, new life experiences etc. etc. etc. This is my main gripe with the HPSP--you have NO idea what the future you are mortgaging away is really going to be AND if you don't know about this forum the picture painted for you by the military is pretty rosy.

Good luck.

That is EXACTLY why I continue to warn students about military medicine....among other reasons.

grayce79 said:
They're not horrible people and they will try to work with you if they can.

You're wrong, they ARE horrible people.

There are 2 Captains in the Navy right now who, if I ever get the chance, I will do them bodily harm....because they ARE horrible people..let alone "Officers" in the Navy.

Disse said:

To the OP, do NOT bomb your interviews! Do exactly what island doc said and say all the right things about the specialty and the military then emphasize the reasons why you are applying for a deferment (I'm assuming your applying for a full-deferment). In the past people were very understanding.

Good luck.
This response should be required reading for anyone about to sign up. :thumbup:

militarymd said:
You're wrong, they ARE horrible people.

There are 2 Captains in the Navy right now who, if I ever get the chance, I will do them bodily harm....because they ARE horrible people..let alone "Officers" in the Navy.

Funny you should say that... I'll never forget a statement made by a former military doc I know,"Never trust any military medical officer in the rank of O-5 or above."

I have to say that I too know a couple of O-6's, who are suffering from antisocial personality disorder. :laugh:

That's good advice, it worked for me in a very competitive specialty (EM in the AF has a 50% match rate, half the slots at AF training facilities, half deferred) Emphasize your love for your specialty, and emphasize that you want to be deferred. I even did an extra interview at my own expense so that TWO people at the panel that picks us knew exactly what I wanted. Then, pray you have high board scores.

We just had a meeting today with the branch managers of the medical corps and there were some interesting points made. One of which I think has been mentioned before, but it hasn't been given much attention that I've seen in these forums. They said that the Army has completely done away with non-funded GME. In other words, the civilian "deferral" no longer exists. If you don't get an Army spot, you can be offered a civilian-sponsored position (if you are going into a needed field), but this incurs the added year-for-year active duty service obligation. I would be pretty upset about that if I were currently a medical student. So I would suggest to the OP, that unless you really want to add on another 4 years to your commitment, I'd try for the military residency.

bogatyr said:
We just had a meeting today with the branch managers of the medical corps and there were some interesting points made. One of which I think has been mentioned before, but it hasn't been given much attention that I've seen in these forums. They said that the Army has completely done away with non-funded GME. In other words, the civilian "deferral" no longer exists. If you don't get an Army spot, you can be offered a civilian-sponsored position (if you are going into a needed field), but this incurs the added year-for-year active duty service obligation. I would be pretty upset about that if I were currently a medical student. So I would suggest to the OP, that unless you really want to add on another 4 years to your commitment, I'd try for the military residency.

Very Interesting. The Army must have a whopping training budget.