"Bodybuilding" as an EC on my app

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Derz

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the consensus on listing an activity like this on my application? I've never competed in a bodybuilding show; however, I've been lifting and training for the past 5 years to the point where it has become a significant part of my life and my personality. It would feel weird to leave it off of my application, but I've heard a lot of people say to not list it as a hobby considering I've never competed on a professional level. I realize that a lot of people exercise and lift weights multiple times a week, but I've been pretty passionate about bodybuilding specifically for a very long period of time which extends beyond the casual notion of "working out". I also don't think listing just "weightlifting" as an EC sounds legit enough.

Members don't see this ad.

What is the consensus on listing an activity like this on my application? I've never competed in a bodybuilding show; however, I've been lifting and training for the past 5 years to the point where it has become a significant part of my life and my personality. It would feel weird to leave it off of my application, but I've heard a lot of people say to not list it as a hobby considering I've never competed on a professional level. I realize that a lot of people exercise and lift weights multiple times a week, but I've been pretty passionate about bodybuilding specifically for a very long period of time which extends beyond the casual notion of "working out". I also don't think listing just "weightlifting" as an EC sounds legit enough.
That's a hobby. Hobbies are OK.

Reactions: 1 users
It's fine. One word of caution. My son, a 2nd yr family practice resident is a self described "Meathead". One of my advisees was a personal trainer. I warned both that in med school you dont have time for that 3 hr lift. Unless you are an elite student, I would design a workout before med school where you can achieve your goals in an hour. This will then be one less source of stress while you are in med school. Good luck and best wishes!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It's fine. One word of caution. My son, a 2nd yr family practice resident is a self described "Meathead". One of my advisees was a personal trainer. I warned both that in med school you dont have time for that 3 hr lift. Unless you are an elite student, I would design a workout before med school where you can achieve your goals in an hour. This will then be one less source of stress while you are in med school. Good luck and best wishes!
Thank you I really appreciate this advice.

My "hobbies" entry was always the most talked about thing in my interviews, definitely include it!

Reactions: 1 users

I would list it. Just because you haven't gone to the competition circuit doesn't mean it's not a hobby of yours. Many people have all sorts of hobbies and sports like basketball that they don't actively play in leagues for, they just do it for fun and that's the definition of a hobby.

David D MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Definitely. My hobby came up in more than one interview.

I think you can definitely spin this into something compelling. For example, bodybuilding helped redirect your attention to human anatomy and physiology, nutrition, biomechanics, teamwork (spotters are good teammates lol), etc. It's all about how you market it and make it relevant to medicine. Bonus points if your hobby yields you local or national recognition and acclaim! Maybe make a supercut of any fitness TikToks and put it on YouTube? I know an incoming MS1 who put his lifestyle-oriented YouTube channel all over his secondaries

Reactions: 1 user
I put it. Marketed as something that takes determination and grit. Pushing through plateaus + the community aspect of it (lifting w the boys)