Boards - #!@($!$^!!!#

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

7ontheline

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else think that the written boards. . .oh, I dunno. . .kinda sucked? Kinda extremely, that is? Anyway, it sure seemed worse than OKAPs. People I spoke to agreed, so I'm not alone. Still. . .argh. At least it's over. Feel free to ignore this vent/rant, resume your everyday lives as you see fit.

Members don't see this ad.

took them last year first year they were on the computer, and agreed they were difficult, i'm sure you did fine. if you did well on okaps and studied you should pass. remember no matter how difficult they are, it's graded on a curve. same number of people fail each year, same number pass. if you pass by one point or finish at the top, it doesn't matter b/c the test is pass fail.

I agree- I felt like I was taking the pediatrics ophthalmology specialty board! Let me do some obliques and transpose some muscles on the next patient!

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree- I felt like I was taking the pediatrics ophthalmology specialty board! Let me do some obliques and transpose some muscles on the next patient!

I agree. To the people taking other tests at our center, I'm sure a friend of mine and I looked a little weird moving our hands around imitating globe rotations.

Not that I have any say in it, but I think the forced fail curve is ridiculous. It should be a simple case of having a list of things that every ophthalmologist needs to know. If you know them, you pass. If you don't, you fail. With this system, if you have a good year, and everyone knows it, some of them will still fail. If you have a "dumb" year, and few know everything they should know, most of them will pass anyway.
There's my rant for the day.

Dave

Everyone should get that ophthalmology review question and answer book andrew recommended. Cant remember the name, I'm sure he will provide it.

I thought the boards were not curved and that most years, ~30% happen to fall below the pass level. If it were on a curve, wouldn't the EXACT same percentage fail each year?

Anyone receive their results yet?

Supposed to be mailed mid-May. It's past mid-May, so where are they?

Though depending on my results, maybe I shouldn't be in such a rush :eek:

Okay, ABOP.org website says they were mailed 5.21.07. Good luck everyone!

You can check your results (at least whether you passed or not) in your profile on the ABOP website now.