Boards studying tips

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sophia88

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm starting the my last year of derm now and was wondering if anyone could share how they prepared for boards. Not sure if it's worth my time to read through Bolognia again this year or to just focus on Jain and the Derm-in review material and questions. I have Rapini but not sure if more people prefer Elston for path review? There are so many resources and I'd love any input on what is the highest yield and what schedule worked for you? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm starting the my last year of derm now and was wondering if anyone could share how they prepared for boards. Not sure if it's worth my time to read through Bolognia again this year or to just focus on Jain and the Derm-in review material and questions. I have Rapini but not sure if more people prefer Elston for path review? There are so many resources and I'd love any input on what is the highest yield and what schedule worked for you? Thanks!

I think it would be worth your time to review Bolognia in particular the charts/tables within Bolognia

I did find Derm-in-review to be helpful but not enough on its own

Rapini seems to be fine but nothing beats thumbing through actual path slides to prepare. I'm not up to date on how the certification exam works now but I would also get accustomed to reading digital slides as they were experimenting with that format in the year I took the exam (not sure if they've since expanded this section or eliminated it. As a headsup, image quality was terrible my year)

Good luck!

Bolognia + Jain + DIR + Elston = Success

All day errrryday

It probably doesn't help you much now, but I spent the first 1-2 years basically taking handwritten notes on Bolognia and Hurwitz. Took forever and very time-consuming, but by third year I basically had a binder full of comprehensive notes and just kept reviewing that, along with the above mentioned resources.

Also agree that looking at actual slides is key. And I'd the Dermpath University site still works, it's a very good virtual slide resource.