Boards part 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Noble pod

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys i'm a second year and just wanted to find out from those who have already taken part 1 in previous years how and what you used to prepare for part 1. Currently i'm totally confused as to what i should expect or where to even begin. I will be taking boards in July 2013 so i wanted to have a slight idea what my game plan should be. Thank you in advance to all.

Members don't see this ad.

BRS physiology and Medical micro made ridiculously simple come highly recommended by me. For other subjects you may ask elsewhere, but I would buy and read those two books.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you very much guys i appreciate the feedback

BRS physiology and Medical micro made ridiculously simple come highly recommended by me. For other subjects you may ask elsewhere, but I would buy and read those two books.

I wholeheartedly agree with these two from Dyk343. Aside from these two, you will need to find what works best for you by thumbing through other available study guides.

These two were very well written and laid out.

This is purely my opinion, you know yourself best and you know what works and doesn't work for you, so keep that in mind. My biggest piece of advice would be not to use too many different sources. I used the USMLE First Aid book, my LEA book/notes, and the BRS Micro and Path flashcards (which I highly recommend). I am not at the top of the class, but I passed and didn't feel like I was as brutalized by the exam as other people were. I know that some of my classmates who overwhelmed themselves with too many sources didn't fare quite as well. Hope this helps. Feel free to private message me if you want to talk more about it. :)

Purely opinion as well but I would use as little resources as possible. The BRS notecards for path I thought were helpful but I would use those as a review. I used First Aid and LEA notes. In all fairness as part one is designed- First Aid wasn't extremely helpful but the LEA on the exam was very straightforward. There really is no best book/books but pick one or two and know them really well. I heard BRS physiology and Micro Made Ridiculously Simple were helpful but I never used them. Good Luck.

I know some might disagree but personally for part one you really need to study hard 4 subjects.

Micro, physio, pharm and Lower.

I used brs for micro and physio. USMLE and lower notes. studied for about 3.5 wks and found the test quite simple and straightforward but poorly written.

spend some time with path and biochem and dont worry about general anatomy, histology or neurology/neuroanatomy.

I know some might disagree but personally for part one you really need to study hard 4 subjects.

Micro, physio, pharm and Lower.

I used brs for micro and physio. USMLE and lower notes. studied for about 3.5 wks and found the test quite simple and straightforward but poorly written.

spend some time with path and biochem and dont worry about general anatomy, histology or neurology/neuroanatomy.

I was given this advice about half way through my time studying and I wish I had been given it earlier. There really is way too much to study to try and do it all.

These were the same four subjects I decided to hone in on, and together they make up about 65% of the testable material.

I think you will also be surprised at what you are able to recall during the exam when you get to a question for which you didn't specifically cover that topic. And then there will be questions where you read them and it will be the first time you have ever heard anything about it. It helped to get that into my head before going into the exam so it didn't take me too off guard.

My advice is to just pay dtrack whatever he asks to tutor you. Whatever. He. Asks.

By this, you mean the BRS Physiology by Costanzo and Medical Micro made ridiculously simple and NOT the BRS Microbiology and Immunology right? Just making sure to buy the correct books. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
So...would anyone recommend studying from BRS Physio and Micro Made simple DURING school for their respective classes? Or are these resources best used strictly for Part 1?

I haven't looked at the books yet, but I found the Kaplan question bank extremely useful when studying for the MCAT, so I'm just wondering if any sort of question bank(s) exist within these books or any other pertinent sources.

So...would anyone recommend studying from BRS Physio and Micro Made simple DURING school for their respective classes? Or are these resources best used strictly for Part 1?

I haven't looked at the books yet, but I found the Kaplan question bank extremely useful when studying for the MCAT, so I'm just wondering if any sort of question bank(s) exist within these books or any other pertinent sources.

BRS Physio yes. Micro probably not as useful.

The BRS series have practice questions at the end of each chapter.

You have much more important things to focus on during classes than studying for boards or looking at other material. Your classes are generally very specific in what they focus on. Pay attention to boards a few months before and that is all you need.

I only recommend BRS physio because it is so clear and lays down a solid foundation. It takes maybe at most an hour to read the cardiology, renal, pulmonary, etc, etc chapter. That hour will give you a strong foundation to build off of when going through class notes.

Thats just my opinion though. I wish I would have supplemented my physio course with the BRS book.

You have much more important things to focus on during classes than studying for boards or looking at other material. Your classes are generally very specific in what they focus on. Pay attention to boards a few months before and that is all you need.

I only recommend BRS physio because it is so clear and lays down a solid foundation. It takes maybe at most an hour to read the cardiology, renal, pulmonary, etc, etc chapter. That hour will give you a strong foundation to build off of when going through class notes.

Thats just my opinion though. I wish I would have supplemented my physio course with the BRS book.

Just looking to see if the book(s) were worth buying/perusing earlier, rather than later. I do not intend to base my class studying on these books, that's for sure.

Just looking to see if the book(s) were worth buying/perusing earlier, rather than later. I do not intend to base my class studying on these books, that's for sure.

Depending on the school I would agree that using supplemental material can be a waste of time. If the school presents the info that they want you to know for the exam, it's generally best to memorize that info and get your A.

Even with a shockingly low national average on the LEA section of boards, I still believe that every school gives you the material you need in your first two years to pass boards assuming you apply yourself and spend the time studying.

Know this and you will pass guaranteed!

MICRO: Memorize the Gram +/- flow charts ..... probably get you 75% of any micro questions asked

PHARM: Know your Diabetes & gout drugs...other classes: probably smart to know the most popular drug from each class and it's MOA. I used note cards, kinda helped w/main SE

Lower Anatomy: everything of course....muscles outside of the foot, have an idea where they originate and insert, and their action.....know nerve, arterial and action of each group above the ankle

UpperA: didn't really study it; but do go over the spine and its ligaments plus the different boney landmarks on each set of vert

Physio: MUST know MUSCLE physio from beginning to end...like AP--->contraction blahblahblah....smooth, heart, skeletal; also be familiar w/heart & respiratory

BioChem: basically know the rate limiting steps; know DNA/RNA stuff like replication

Neuro: just tried to know which paths crossed, and what they did; also know the chart with the brachial plexus nerve stuff and the different manifestations of nerve injury like waiter's tip

Last of all, don't over think it. Know how much time you have per question and get through the exam. Just go with your gut.

Reactions: 1 user
Know this and you will pass guaranteed!

MICRO: Memorize the Gram +/- flow charts ..... probably get you 75% of any micro questions asked

PHARM: Know your Diabetes & gout drugs...other classes: probably smart to know the most popular drug from each class and it's MOA. I used note cards, kinda helped w/main SE

Lower Anatomy: everything of course....muscles outside of the foot, have an idea where they originate and insert, and their action.....know nerve, arterial and action of each group above the ankle

UpperA: didn't really study it; but do go over the spine and its ligaments plus the different boney landmarks on each set of vert

Physio: MUST know MUSCLE physio from beginning to end...like AP--->contraction blahblahblah....smooth, heart, skeletal; also be familiar w/heart & respiratory

BioChem: basically know the rate limiting steps; know DNA/RNA stuff like replication

Neuro: just tried to know which paths crossed, and what they did; also know the chart with the brachial plexus nerve stuff and the different manifestations of nerve injury like waiter's tip

Last of all, don't over think it. Know how much time you have per question and get through the exam. Just go with your gut.

I think you pretty much nailed it here

Taking step 1 in July. I have a question about the practice exam questions posted on the APMLE website. Are the questions indicative of what we will see on July 10th? Thanks for your help.

I'm with anklebreaker... some are equivalent in difficulty some are harder. Some are so poorly written there isn't even a correct answer.

So besides the practice test from APMLE site and the 2 tests from temple, are any other practice tests floating around?

I predict this years pass rate will be about a 75%. This will open up 20 to 30 residency spots and part 2 will take care of the rest. Residency problems Solved!

I predict this years pass rate will be about a 75%. This will open up 20 to 30 residency spots and part 2 will take care of the rest. Residency problems Solved!

I concur.

That is the easiest solution and it will buy them time to open up some more programs.

I concur.

That is the easiest solution and it will buy them time to open up some more programs.

I highly doubt it. This is just solving one problem, but creating another. Eventually, most students who are committed to this profession are going to retake them and pass them.

They knew they were likely to have a shortage last year and almost everyone passed part 2 boards. I don't see them failing more than 15-20%, which seems to be the average every year.

If they happen to increase the number of questions needed to pass it will probably have to do with people overall doing better since they increased the percentage of LEA and anatomy, and decreased tougher subjects such as physio, path, and biochem.

I highly doubt it. This is just solving one problem, but creating another. Eventually, most students who are committed to this profession are going to retake them and pass them.

They knew they were likely to have a shortage last year and almost everyone passed part 2 boards. I don't see them failing more than 15-20%, which seems to be the average every year.

If they happen to increase the number of questions needed to pass it will probably have to do with people overall doing better since they increased the percentage of LEA and anatomy, and decreased tougher subjects such as physio, path, and biochem.

They don't choose the number that passes and fails. Theoretically, 100% could fail or 100% could pass any given exam. They don't simply increase the number of questions needed to pass.

They can do whatever they want.

I guess I have to agree with you on that. Though there they are supposed to do it they way they say they do it.

I like to make the point that the majority of students don't know how the exam is graded and reviewed but like to assume they know and make random statements.

been going through FA, LEAN notes, BRS Physio and some minor class notes on Micro/Infectious/Immuno for the last 2 months....and I feel pretty confident about being able to pass the test.

I am sure this will all change a week before the exam.

any upperclassmen have advice on what to study during the last week? i've already gone over everything 2-3x. i can't really study for the first half of this week since i'm going on a volunteer event with my school tomorrow and we're getting back wednesday evening.

i'm thinking about doing the following:
path: combo of FA and my school's board review packet
physio: re-read a few important ch from BRS like renal, muscle and cv; practice Qs
pharm: go over my lecture notes i used for our comprehensive final exam and lange's flashcards
micro: my own flashcards, FA, a few chapters from micro made ridiculously simple, practice Qs
LEAN: class notes, practice Qs
neuro: review spinal tracts, cranial nerves, brachial plexus

i can cover material at a pretty rapid pace and since i've already gone through all this stuff i think i could get through all of the above in 4 days. is there anything else i should focus on for the remaining 3 days? just do a bunch of practice questions?

any upperclassmen have advice on what to study during the last week? i've already gone over everything 2-3x. i can't really study for the first half of this week since i'm going on a volunteer event with my school tomorrow and we're getting back wednesday evening.

i'm thinking about doing the following:
path: combo of FA and my school's board review packet
physio: re-read a few important ch from BRS like renal, muscle and cv; practice Qs
pharm: go over my lecture notes i used for our comprehensive final exam and lange's flashcards
micro: my own flashcards, FA, a few chapters from micro made ridiculously simple, practice Qs
LEAN: class notes, practice Qs
neuro: review spinal tracts, cranial nerves, brachial plexus

i can cover material at a pretty rapid pace and since i've already gone through all this stuff i think i could get through all of the above in 4 days. is there anything else i should focus on for the remaining 3 days? just do a bunch of practice questions?

If you have been as diligent as you say you have been, I think you are going to be just fine. Personally, I would try and work on my weaker areas headed up to the exam.

Really, you know yourself best and what you should be studying. On the flip side, you have probably learned all you are going to learn before the exam. Make sure to take some time to let your brain relax some.

thanks for the advice guys. i can't wait to be done with this thing. i'm pretty sure my class will be taking over one of the bars in the city as we all get out of our exams lol. yay for happy hour starting at 11:30am!

I thought path was straightforward.

I would spend most of your time hitting micro, physio and LEA pretty hard one last time.

LEA = Micro > physio > path

I would exchange path with pharmacology. I felt there was a lot of pharm on my exam.

Micro: Focus on the gram +/- diagrams at the beginning of the Micro section in USMLE. GOT TO know'em COLD, colder than coors light, and you'll get 70% of micro questions. Remember, you're not trying to score a 100 on this thing.

Physio: muscle phys

Pharm: Dieuhbeatees drugs, gout, antimicrobials

Path: quick review of specimen collection, sterilization/sanitize/disinfect

Take those practice tests on the APMLE website, don't burn out right before. Answer and move on.

finish-studying-good1.jpg