board scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slim

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
xx

Members don't see this ad.

what attracts you to dermatology? and more importantly, what are you willing to sacrifice to attain this goal?

some things i've learned going through this process:
1. aoa status/third year grades are more important than board scores.
2. having a reputable derm department/derm faculty advisor going to bat for you is essential. get to know your department.
3. letters of recommendation are equally important, if not more so, to board scores.
4. research (of any kind) is a bonus. writing a case report takes no more than a weekend or two to write, but can go a long way.
5. 40-50% of matches occur at the home program or one in which the applicant did an away rotation.
6. have a back up plan.

though i believe the the average board score of matched applicants a few years ago was mid to upper 230's or so, a 229 should not kill your chances. that being said, if derm is what you want, you have time on your side to get your ducks lined up in a row. good luck.

Thanks for the suggestions ForSkin. Gonna keep them in mind as I head into Year 2.

Members don't see this ad :)
reading your reply to this other writer was a blessing, everytime I come on here I am usually sorry because of all the discouragement I feel, (I am not in the 10th grade saying I'll be top of my med school class, I am an upper 25% of my third year med school class, very interested in derm and with low self esteem about getting it), you sounded more real and optimistic that anything I have read,
thanks

ForSkin said:
what attracts you to dermatology? and more importantly, what are you willing to sacrifice to attain this goal?

some things i've learned going through this process:
1. aoa status/third year grades are more important than board scores.
2. having a reputable derm department/derm faculty advisor going to bat for you is essential. get to know your department.
3. letters of recommendation are equally important, if not more so, to board scores.
4. research (of any kind) is a bonus. writing a case report takes no more than a weekend or two to write, but can go a long way.
5. 40-50% of matches occur at the home program or one in which the applicant did an away rotation.
6. have a back up plan.

though i believe the the average board score of matched applicants a few years ago was mid to upper 230's or so, a 229 should not kill your chances. that being said, if derm is what you want, you have time on your side to get your ducks lined up in a row. good luck.

The most important thing any of you can do is to go to derm grand rounds any chance you get. (Christmas break is a great time.) Prior to going, set up a meeting with a junior derm faculty member and tell them your class rank/board score and how much you desire to get in derm and ask "what are my chances," and if anyone has a project you could help with. Ask when/where grand rounds are and then start showing up. The junior faculty are usually very helpful and can possibly "go to bat" for you.

best of luck

I've read about the importance of having a strong home derm department, attending grand rounds, etc several times on this board. What happens if you go to a small, allopathic med school with NO derm department? Can you get around this with away rotations and a research year? Thanks :)

my 2 cents:

going to grand rounds is worthless. what exactly is the purpose of taking up space like that? however, i do agree that meeting up with junior faculty is a good idea. start with the residents, then junior faculty, etc ...... many of them started when derm got uber competitive and know the immense help that students need. common sense applies here: don't be super annoying (90% are) and don't be flaky. do your due diligence and know what you're talking about before meetings. they can likely help guide you to a good reserach project/case report that will get your foot in the door and play with the big boys and heavy hitters.

as for not having a derm department .... truthfully, i feel REALLY bad for those people, because they have to work twice as hard (as if it weren't near impossible enough). go to your counselor and get hooked up with people from your school who have matched derm and asked them what they had to do. i'd guess they invariably did a year, or few, of research.

lastly, here's a little secret. dermatologists aren't the only ones doing derm research. every derm attending has 10 derm applicants every year hounding her for cases/research, while the surgical oncologists/medical oncologists treating melanoma have a huge database that no one bothers to ask him about. think about dermpathologists/pathologists. basic science/immunology researchers. pediatricians even. i'm always surprised at the lack of creativity of applicants .....

grand rounds are not for your knowledge. You go to grand rounds so the PD can see you are actively interested, so the residents get to know you, and to get opportunities for research/publications. You would not believe the opportunities that will arise for you to help out on a project for a resident/faculty...and that will go a long way when it comes time to narrow the list of applicants.

what is PD?