Board scores and residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ashokie

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, here's the botton line..I did well on Step One and am wondering if that month of hell studying for them means anything other than I passed. Will good board scores get me interviews into good residency programs. I am looking to go into medicine or pediatrics. thanks,.

Members don't see this ad.

I think board scores will help if certain programs use them as a screening tool. However, beyond that, I'm not sure how they are considered. I imagine that it depends on the program. However, it seems that most programs rely more on your Dean's letter, recommendation letters, clinical grades and evaluations, honors and awards, research, and other outstanding activities than your board score. If you were considering orthopedics or neurosurgery, then board scores may become more important -- these programs look at board scores as pretty reliable predictors of passing the specialty boards -- you know how much programs like to boast a 100% pass rate from their residents. As for medicine and pediatrics, most programs (most of the good ones too) only care if you pass or not. Of course a good board score can make an impression too. I was wondering what everyone's opinion of a good board score was -- how good is good?

I've been on selection committees and board scores are important. Most important for competative residencies, and radiology residencies, but still important for all. Used primarily in screening, board scores standardize educational experiences and are of vital importance if one is a foreign medical grad.

Jim Henderson, MD of Medicalstudent.net

I've been on selection committees and board scores are important. Most important for competative residencies, and radiology residencies, but still important for all. Used primarily in screening, board scores standardize educational experiences and are of vital importance if one is a foreign medical grad.

Jim Henderson, MD of Medicalstudent.net