Board Score Release to ERAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scarne1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question regarding step 2 board scores and how thay are released to ERAS. I am not sure if it the same for COMLEX and USMLE which I have taken. I will be submitting my ERAS application on Sept. 2 and have checked the boxes to release my board scores. I just took COMLEX step 2 and USMLE step 2 and won't have results until after I submit my application to ERAS (around Oct.). From what I understand it takes COMLEX 1 week to send ERAS your scores and USMEL is even quicker. When I receive my STEP 2 results will COMLEX and USMLE automatically send my step 2 score to ERAS or will I have to re-request to have my STEP 2 scores sent?

Members don't see this ad.

scarne1 said:
I have a question regarding step 2 board scores and how thay are released to ERAS. I am not sure if it the same for COMLEX and USMLE which I have taken. I will be submitting my ERAS application on Sept. 2 and have checked the boxes to release my board scores. I just took COMLEX step 2 and USMLE step 2 and won't have results until after I submit my application to ERAS (around Oct.). From what I understand it takes COMLEX 1 week to send ERAS your scores and USMEL is even quicker. When I receive my STEP 2 results will COMLEX and USMLE automatically send my step 2 score to ERAS or will I have to re-request to have my STEP 2 scores sent?

it depends. are you going to check the box on ERAS that says "automatically release my scores as they come in"? most, if not all, people would recommend against that, because if you bomb either one, you can still keep it quiet. IIRC, it doesn't cost anything extra to re-release your USMLE scores; i don't know about COMLEX scores.

as far as i understand, when ERAS requests scores from the NBME, the NBME only releases whatever scores you have currently on file. i assume the COMLEX entity would be the same. so if your scores for the step 2s haven't come back by the time you submit ERAS, they won't be released.