Board Certification in Canada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nutmegger

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just curious if someone could explain the board certification process for medical specialties in Canada. How similar is it to the United States? For example, do you have to take examinations for recertification every 10 years or so, as is common in the United States? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I was just curious if someone could explain the board certification process for medical specialties in Canada. How similar is it to the United States? For example, do you have to take examinations for recertification every 10 years or so, as is common in the United States? Thank you.

The certification process in Canada is covered by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, for specialties, and by the College of Family Physicians of Canada, for family medicine.

www.rcpsc.medical.org
www.cfpc.ca

The certification process in Canada is covered by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, for specialties, and by the College of Family Physicians of Canada, for family medicine.

www.rcpsc.medical.org
www.cfpc.ca

And no, we don't recertify every 10 years. We are required to do a specified amount of continuing medical education every year and if we don't, we lose our certification. I don't know what happens then, but it's not hard to stay current. I have to do 250 CME credits every 5 years to keep my family practice creds intact, and I have 30 already this year and I'm not really trying. Cheers,
M