'blowoff' PM&R rotation in Chicago

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThinkFast007

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is a serious question actually..

i'm a soon to be fourth year and well I was looking to do a rotation at a PMnR hosp in Chicago. I'm not really interested in going into the field, but would like to get some exposure to the field more so on a PRN basis. I know that this is asking a lot and well perhaps even stretching it. But....as an MS4 to be, you all can understand the need to have a little 'break' before residency. so it would be great if there's a rotation that would allow us out really early or even barely require us to be there (there are programs like this that exist but i have no idea if there's one in chicago).

i'd appreciate some real tips as opposed to flames. this is greatly appreciated! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

ThinkFast007 said:
This is a serious question actually..

i'm a soon to be fourth year and well I was looking to do a rotation at a PMnR hosp in Chicago. I'm not really interested in going into the field, but would like to get some exposure to the field more so on a PRN basis. I know that this is asking a lot and well perhaps even stretching it. But....as an MS4 to be, you all can understand the need to have a little 'break' before residency. so it would be great if there's a rotation that would allow us out really early or even barely require us to be there (there are programs like this that exist but i have no idea if there's one in chicago).

i'd appreciate some real tips as opposed to flames. this is greatly appreciated! :thumbup: :thumbup:

I would say to look for a rotation that allows for more outpatient rather than inpatient exposure...I would guess that RIC wouldn't offer blowoff rotations, but I may be mistaken.

Why not do a rads rotation? That was the best. 2 hours a day with me taking 4 days off during the week & no weekends to boot. Great experience!

Finally M3 said:
I would say to look for a rotation that allows for more outpatient rather than inpatient exposure...I would guess that RIC wouldn't offer blowoff rotations, but I may be mistaken.

Why not do a rads rotation? That was the best. 2 hours a day with me taking 4 days off during the week & no weekends to boot. Great experience!
hmm..unfortunately all the rads rots i checked into are all full :mad: :mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
A Med student from my school just applied for an outpt rotation at RIC and was told that he was required to do an inpt rotation before being able to do an outpt rotation. Not sure if this is official policy.

Why not do a "research" month? ER is shift work - at my residency it's only 4-5 shifts per week. Derm is always cush. or Path... Not sure if PM&R rotations are actually cush...

axm397 said:
A Med student from my school just applied for an outpt rotation at RIC and was told that he was required to do an inpt rotation before being able to do an outpt rotation. Not sure if this is official policy.

Why not do a "research" month? ER is shift work - at my residency it's only 4-5 shifts per week. Derm is always cush. or Path... Not sure if PM&R rotations are actually cush...

Getting excited about July, Axm? I start off in Peds, so I'm mildly terrified :scared: What do I know about kids besides playing with them?

Easy rotations at my school;

Radiology
Medicine & the Law
Forensic Pathology
Derm
PM&R at WBH

Hey M3 - isn't it time you changed your name?? :D

Easy rotations at my school:

writing a case for case based learning
research month x 2
teaching case based learning
PM&R AI counted as surgery AI
Humanities

My sister actually did "music and medicine" and got to go to Japan for a week to be an interpreter for one of the profs at her med school.

axm397 said:
Hey M3 - isn't it time you changed your name?? :D

Easy rotations at my school:

writing a case for case based learning
research month x 2
teaching case based learning
PM&R AI counted as surgery AI
Humanities

My sister actually did "music and medicine" and got to go to Japan for a week to be an interpreter for one of the profs at her med school.
How about changing the name to "Finally a PGY2!" in about 5-6 weeks :)

drvlad2004 said:
How about changing the name to "Finally a PGY2!" in about 5-6 weeks :)

:laugh: Thank God. Anyone else dragging through the end of internship?

Heh, and thank God I'm not an M3. We have two on our medicine team and their enthusiasm makes me feel old. :laugh: