Bit of a sticky situation... Should I switch colleges or stay where I am and adjust?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cemetra

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, all. I'm in a bit of a weird situation and seeking some advice. I was attending a very small state college while attending a technical college. One was for my undergraduate degree and one was to become a licensed EMT for clinical experience. The state college (3 weeks into classes) denied giving me financial aid because I was attending another college simultaneously. I was planning to use loans for my undergrad and pay out of pocket for my EMT training.

I've already paid for the EMT training and can't get a refund. The training is 6 months. This is just to become a basic EMT. In my city, it's practically impossible to get a job unless you're an Advanced EMT, which is a year's length. I'm basically down to two choices and would like advice on which one to pursue.

Choice 1: Continue my EMT education and take some online courses (NOT prerequisites - stuff like Art Appreciation) that will transfer into the undergrad and do so until January of 2020. Stay at a smaller, cheaper state school and graduate with little debt. The college offers guaranteed research and shadowing. The college used to be even smaller, only offering associate degrees, so I actually end up with an associates and bachelors. In the end, I'll finish with an Associate of Arts in Psychology with a Bachelor of Science in Biology, but have a little longer path.

Choice 2: Go instead to a larger university where I'll take a bit more online courses (again, NOT prerequisites) until I'm licensed as an EMT. One of the largest public schools in the state and more expensive = more debt. Plenty of research opportunities (although not guaranteed like the other college) and no guaranteed shadowing. Graduate with a Bachelor of Science in Psychology with a focus on Neuroscience and minor in Biology. Quicker finish.

Note: I am 25-years-old and have a 4.0 cumulative GPA, although I've only taken ~ 16 credit hours. If that matters. I HAVE to work to pay my bills. This is why I've opted to go the AEMT route - different experiences, decent pay in my city, good with my personality, plenty of need, and the like.

Sorry that was so long.

Members don't see this ad.

Choice 2. I am concerned that a school that until recently only gave associates degrees will be looked down upon by MD schools. Shadowing is easy to track down - as is research - if you are mature and look for it at the larger university.